Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #11
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: How do I change direction while in a turn?

No argument at all but the rub is that inexperienced riders are not usually willing to lean further than what they think is already too much. It might be useful is to have beginning riders ride as a passenger with very competent rider.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2002, 02:33 PM   #12
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Chariton,

One more thing. You have actually survived a rite of passage in motorcycling - that of scaring the bejesus out of yourself for the first time. It is an important part of the learning curve and unfortunately is usually unavoidable. You just hope that it works out your way when the time comes which, in your case, it did. The fact that you have the presence of mind to recognize that you hade an expreience you'd like not to repeat is a good sign. It appears to me that you have already profited from this experience.

I'd point out that a lot of the excellent suggestions I'm reading here are things that one can learn on a dirt bike with far less dire consequences should things go wrong (fixating on the wrong thing, overcooking a corner, loss of traction, highsides, lowsides, etc.). On the street, for instance, it is way more difficult to learn how to look where you want to go instead of where you don't want to go without a little dirtbike experience, IMHO.

Cheers
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:33 PM   #13
Grappelli
Registered Member

#1. Unfreeze. Essential for survival on a bike. Learn how to do this NOW. (It is a learned skill for most)

#2. Once unfrozen turn harder. You'll be surprized how much grip you have.

#3. Learn not to shut off the power and brake. I once watched someone nearly kill themselves on a easy 80mph corner while travelling at 30-40mph doing this exact thing. Landed on the front of a van. Instead, keep the power balanced.

If you do need to slow down during a corner, say you find a seriously tightening radius or a blocked route, use the rear brake to rub the speed off. It is a good idea to keep the power on a bit to balance the bike while you do it. (This is essential with many shaft driven bikes) Note that this will initially make the bike sit up a bit, so it's only really useful when you have a second before you have to tighten your turn still further.

As an aside, I used to race bicycles in Britain when I was younger and the there was a rule for corners in a big group of cyclists: If you try to get round a corner and crash bringing everyone down with you, no-one will blame you. However, if you bottle it and go straight on taking someone's front wheel out from under them --- you will later wish that you had crashed. You soon learn that you can turn MUCH tighter than you thought.... and that this hurts much, much less.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:50 PM   #14
KenP
Founding Member

Default Developing your riding skills is not a sprint

First off, I'm glad you are allright. 80MPH with a truck coming the other way (add his speed to calculate impact velocity) would not have been pretty. You escaped with your hide intact, so you focus on "learning your lesson" and make sure THAT YOU NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN THAT POSITION AGAIN.

I think a very small percentage of riders qualify as "naturals" (the Nicky Hayden's of the world). They just seem to have a natural ability to ride...that is how a 20 year old (how old IS Nicky, anyway) can win the Daytona 200. The rest us need to work at it. Learning how to ride a motorcycle well is not a sprint...it is a long-distance endurance haul....literally.

Accept right now that you are probably not a natural (a mere mortal) and embrace the fact that if you truly love riding you are going to need to apply yourself and TAKE YOUR TIME at improving your skills. It may not seem this way now (you are probably very anxious and excited about being out on the road and riding), but for me, progressively building and developing my riding skills has been a VERY rewarding experience. Treat it as an ongoing challenge to improve yourself and you'll stay motivated to continue to improve, while at the same time accepting and being happy with your riding skills today. If you respectfully practice, the skills will come.

The sure-fire way to guarantee you'll never improve is to ride beyond your abilities...that "sprint" mentality has had dire consequences for far too many. Read everything you can about riding, take any available educational classes or tours, and practice all the time.

So my friend, straddle your bike with pride and take the journey...for the long haul.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:07 PM   #15
bikerjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: Developing your riding skills is not a sprint

I have been riding 40 years. Recently my attention wondered and my bike wondered too. A friend of mine once said, "If you ever go out and think you have nothing to learn, sell the bike." The advice you are getting is a good reminder to all of us. By the way, I have a smile on my face. I just returned home to Ontario Canada after riding 2000 miles in the mountains and passes of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and northern Ar. Talk about having to stay focused. P.S. This area of the country is a must for every dedicated biker.
bikerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:10 PM   #16
mph9146
Founding Member

Just thought i'd add an amusing anecdote of my first high-side. I had just got a new (used) XJ600 Yamaha Radian standard-like bike in college. It was a beautiful sunny day out and I had just finished watching some GP racing. So, being the expert squid that I was, I put some Steely Dan on in my headphones, donned my helmet and jacket, and tore like hell out the apartment parking lot into an ajoining road which has a nice new asphalt S curve. I'm jamming along, much too fast for my own good, and then realize that the curve in front of me is coming up a lot faster than i'm used to. I try to lean the bike, but it's too late. I jump the curb, and go for an agricultural excursion into the flower garden, sending grass, mulch, and flowers everywhere, and planting my bike in the middle of the garden there. To top off the humiliation, i ruined a brand-new jacket, and had to replace the mirror on my bike. After this I learned to take it slow until I really knew how to control the bike.
mph9146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:28 PM   #17
Vlad
Registered Member

As an aside, use only a little rear brake. If you hit it too hard you will lowside. The best advice is #2, turn harder (countersteering of course). With no MSF course, you may want to pick up Kieth Code's books, Twist of the Wrist, Volumes one and two. Good stuff there.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:38 PM   #18
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

A highside to a Dan song. If you have to chuck it I reckon you ought to have some good music to fly by. Which song?
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:46 PM   #19
mph9146
Founding Member

Kid Charlemagne.
mph9146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:25 PM   #20
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Das da fact, Jack!

I did the same with a KLR 650 for a couple years then bought my K12rs... Dual sports other than being Dirt cheap (pun intended) are a blast to ride and very forgiving.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote