Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-18-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: Tough buying decision made tougher

OK - some points to consider.....

1) What gets you off more - the riding itself or the buzz of the look/ownership thing

2) If you can afford a 748 - can you afford an R1? - more 'cred than an R6- and probably easier to ride by grunting it around in one or two gears

3) What would a used R6 and some cash spent on tarting it up (special paint, bodywork, etc) do for your WOW button?

4) Dont forget the running costs

5) If the 748 would be an unpleasant ride for much of your riding (around town/touring) that might well take the pleasure out of actually being on it on the road.

6) What about a massive, life sized 748 poster on your wall (or maybe on your bedroom ceiling.......) to compensate for having the 'sensible' R6

Really, I guess my main advice would be write down all the pro's and cons of both bikes then write down what things about riding/owning a bike give you the most 'oomph' and compare lists. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Maybe that knockout supermodel sucks as company or even in 'intimate surrounds' and you'd be better with the high performing, nice to be around chick.

Dont forget - with babes and bikes, you can hire one for special occasions...........oooooh that will probably get me in trouble. True though!.

Cheers
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2002, 05:22 PM   #2
runner00
Founding Member

Hey , that's really an easy one. If you buy the 748 will you survive (financially) ?

Yes....buy the 748. (you will thank me.)

No.....buy the r6. (you will thank me.)

Man was that easy.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #3
95XV1100
Founding Member

Sounds like they have already made up their mind. I like Yamaha but riding is mostly about having fun. They are not really satisfied w/ purchasing the Yamaha. Riding around wishing you had bought something else is not my idea of fun. We can all make compromises but I can tell from the text this individual is not really able to do that with this one. They just need someone to go ahead and say get the Ducati. Get the Ducati
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
Vlad
Registered Member

He hit the nail on the head. It comes down to bucks. The 748 is expensive to own, expensive to maintain, uncomfortable, etc. Of course, it has telepathic handling.

When you lean over the tank the shape reminds you of a beautiful woman's back when you're entering from behind. Nobody ever made a post on why a Honda is better than a woman. There are lists on why a Ducati is.

Every Japanese 600 is a better all around street bike. Will they actually outrun a Duc on a mountain road? Only if they have a better pilot.

So let me throw another option on the pile, a 900SS Ducati. Cheaper than a 748, more torque, valves you can adjust yourself. Is it as beautiful as a 748? No, nothing is. Is it a better choice than a 600, of course. On either of the Ducs you will be very happy. But don't buy one if it will bankrupt you.

I own a VFR. I will keep my VFR. But the only bike that really tempts me is a Ducati. There's this 750SS, a leftover 2000 that I have my eye on. The dealer is willing to part with it for $7,500. You can find one, too.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:02 PM   #5
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Reducing emotions to lists of pros and cons; you sound like an engineer. Always lead with your heart and be seduced by the passion in life. If you do this, there is only one bike to buyin my view--a Duck. A Yamaha is a Yamaha; everybody has one. No matter how good the bike--it is still just another Yamaha or Honda or whatever. Just my 2 cents; good luck with your decision.

Bryan
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:33 PM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

go with your heart if you can afford it. I love my ZX-6R, but I know about Ducati lust. Ducatis are beautiful- thank god there are passionate Italians to make our autos and motorcycles more than just transportation.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
vcs700s
Founding Member

Let's say you can afford either bike. Have you done some research on both of them? If you have you know that the R6 is cheaper, faster, and more comfortable. It is also going to be cheaper to maintain. The 748 is basically for the track. It is not a comfortable everyday road bike made for your basic commute or daily riding. Now, don't get me wrong. I love the way the 748 looks and would love to own a Ducati one day. Personally I would prefer a monster but that is me. For now, what do you want to do with the bike? I think one of the posts had a suggestion about the new R1. You will be seeing some roadtests on that this week on the net. I would definitely suggest considering that as it is much cheaper and faster that the 748. It is also very cool looking. Good luck and somehow I hope we find out what you decide to do and if you are happy with your decision.
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
Benji_2
Founding Member

The hardest payment you'll ever make is for something you don't really want. I understand you dilema, I too can't figure out if my next bike will be a 600 or a larger displacement twin. Look at it this way, unless you are riding both the bikes back to back, you're not going to miss the one you didn't buy. Guaranteed fun on either one of these bikes. If I were you and the money wasn't a problem, I would buy the Ducati. Through the twisties it's going to have excellent handling, so what if it weighs a little more or tops out a little slower. I own an SV and have passed more powerful bikes and I've also been passed by them. It all comes down to rider skill. The real question is, red or yellow?
Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:58 PM   #9
blackvalkster
Founding Member

Buy a Suzuki Bandit 1200 with an M4 Can.

You won't be bored, and you can beat 90%

of the bikes out there!!!
blackvalkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:32 PM   #10
shash_what
Founding Member

Default BUY THE DUC.

Buy the Duc, buy the Duc, Buy the Duc, buy the Duc, Buy the Duc, buy the Duc, Buy the Duc, buy the Duc, Buy the Duc, buy the Duc, Buy the Duc, buy the Duc, Buy the Duc, buy the Duc.
Well, that takes care of the next 15 posts advocating you against it

Seriously, Buy the Duc. Why? Because you could go ahead and buy the R6, which would work just fine, mind you, but even a small glitch or comment from a friend against the R6's appeal can make you repent the day you bought it. Sure, the Duc hurts your bums and wrists, but when it does, look at it below you, then look at the general public looking at it below you, give a naughty smile and be happy and gay! So just be 'sensible' and buy the Duc.
shash_what is offline   Reply With Quote