Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-20-2002, 04:23 AM   #51
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Tough buying decision made tougher

Parformance bikes did a comparo last month. They rated the SV very highly except for some cheap suspension issues causing the bike to run wide. However it was Big Al doing the riding and I think he kinda overpowered the suspension which is definitely designed for sub 200lb... probably a bit sub really.

However, they just hated the Monster engine. Not enough power. Not even close was the opinion.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2002, 04:32 AM   #52
Grappelli
Registered Member

By the way, I'm in the market for a sportsbike at the moment but I'm a bit on the tall side and a Ducati is right out of the question 'cos it's just too small for me.... As for the R6, I can pogo the suspension. The only sports bike I've found that's large enough is the ZX12 and I'm pretty sure that it's too powerful for me...

Anyone want to comment on that?
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 04:56 AM   #53
bigjames
Premium Member

Rationalizing a bike purchase is a bad thing! You don't need the R6 or the 748R, and you know it. So it comes down to which one do you really want! The one that turn you on visually or the one that will beat the snot out of choice 1!

I don't understand the problem, get the damn Ducati and ***** about the maintenance, price, and so on and so forth or buy the R6 and ***** about not getting the Ducati. No eDUCATIion needed here.

Get the Ducati!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:06 AM   #54
Poser
Founding Member

Default Triumph? Rational? Sure!

I own a TT600 and ride it every day. If I were (halfway) rational, I would have kept my old bike and saved some money. But, I used my great powers of logic to rationalize what I really wanted, in spite of all the reasons it was a bad idea, including the well published scorn of the press. I only regretted the money for as long as it took to write the check, and I love the bike. My wife was more amused than anything else.

So, buy the Ducati. Or buy a Triumph. Or buy whatever you really want. Just get your powers of rationalization sharpened, and you can convince yourself that you made a perfectly logical decision.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:24 AM   #55
Poser
Founding Member

Default Rationalizing is GOOD

Ya just gotta do it right. Use your powers of logic and observation to convince yourself that what you want is really the best choice. Ignore inconvenient facts that don't fit the outcome you want! It works for politicians and insurance companies, so it should work for you, too.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:50 PM   #56
Arian
Founding Member

Default Re: There are always tough buying decisions

Small world. I will be facing a similar delimma soon, after I heal from eye surgery. Which toy to get: R6 or 748s?

Recently I was faced with another such buying delimma: '4 door practical sedan' (maybe a 'sport' sedan like an IS/300?) or '4 door practical sport ute' .

I bought a Jeep Wrangler, instead. Always wanted one, and now I'm single again, so why not? How many chances do we get in life? One short one...(see my point yet?)

The bike choice will be easy for me: I currently ride a Yamaha 01 FZ1 (the black ones are fastest!), and I love it. I like Yamaha, I like the R6 a lot, and a number of people I know have/like their R6's and R1's. So of course, I am likely to go ahead and buy...

The Ducati. I've always wanted a small, flickable twin. Comfort be dammed; give me good rubber, good chassis, smooth twin power, twin rumble, good looks, and miles of empty chicanes, and the only time I might think about the ergos are too and from said chicanes.

Plus, all ergos get better if you spend a little more time in the Gym!

All the advice in the threads above is sound; some far more so than mine. My $0.02 USD to contribute to this thread is that the clock ticks way too fast for being practical on decisions about (impractical) motorcycles. Sorry, I can't think of a less inane-but-true way to put that.

Have fun, rubber-side down (rear wheel anyway, ).
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:59 PM   #57
Arian
Founding Member

Default Re: There are always tough editing decisions

Mod/Ed,

1. What's the diff between Extrans and HTML?

Does Extrans keep paragraph formatting, etc.

like text, but put in b/i/etc.? Or do I need to go

RTFM somewhere?

2. Can I edit a post? Seeing as how I left out

my p's and q's(/p) on the last one and created

a silly mess.

3. Feel free to delete delete delete this or my

other post as well, as a reflection of the

quality of my intellect. thnx

<b>Extrans</b> <i>test</i>
Old 02-20-2002, 06:05 PM   #58
Arian
Founding Member

Default Re: There are always tough buying decisions

Small world. I will be facing a similar delimma soon, after I heal from eye surgery. Which toy to get: R6 or 748s?</p>

</p>

Recently I was faced with another such buying delimma: '4 door practical sedan' (maybe a 'sport' sedan like an IS/300?) or '4 door practical sport ute' . </p>

</p>

I bought a Jeep Wrangler, instead. Always wanted one, and now I'm single again, so why not? How many chances do we get in life? One short one...(see my point yet?)</p>

</p>

The bike choice will be easy for me: I currently ride a Yamaha 01 FZ1 (the black ones are fastest!), and I love it. I like Yamaha, I like the R6 a lot, and a number of people I know have/like their R6's and R1's. So of course, I am likely to go ahead and buy...</p>

</p>

The Ducati. I've always wanted a small, flickable twin. Comfort be dammed; give me good rubber, good chassis, smooth twin power, twin rumble, good looks, and miles of empty chicanes, and the only time I might think about the ergos are too and from said chicanes.</p>

</p>

Plus, all ergos get better if you spend a little time in the gym! </p>

</p>

All the advice in the threads above is sound; some far more so than mine. My $0.02 USD to contribute to this thread is that the clock ticks way too fast for being practical on decisions about (impractical) motorcycles. Sorry, I can't think of a less inane-but-true way to put that.</p>

</p>

Have fun, rubber-side down (rear wheel anyway, ). </p>

</p>

(And Mod/Ed...answered my own sub-thread question on editing...it's called many, many back arrows to the post creation page.)</p>

</p>

Old 02-21-2002, 06:02 AM   #59
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: This really SCARES me!

Go find a used 900SS. They are easy to find and cheap, and they are real Ducatis with dry clutches, etc. They can be had for about the price of a japanese 600 new. And always remember, women are temporary. A Ducati is forever. Also - Why is a Ducati better than a woman? Because your Ducati won't call you from work, tell you she's running late and then come home at midnight, smelling like she's been ridden by somebody else.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 04:06 PM   #60
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Well, there's good news... and bad news

The good news is that this generation of enthusiasts (all of us) has the most diverse and prolific pool of outstanding machines to choose from; and, we all acknowledge that the bikes available today are the best ever offered. With rare exception they will out-perform the (typical) rider - and we still can't resist tweaking a smidgeon more performance out of them (or trying to..). Two wheeled life is indeed good; so good, in fact that it's perfectly acceptable to make a purely emotional decision (748 vs R6) and then go on to live with it... for better/worse, richer/poorer, etc... Fall in love..? Go for it - why not?

It's your life - live it, savor it, and spend it like it's all you've really got... oh yeah, that's the bad news.
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote