Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-19-2002, 06:46 AM   #31
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default Re: Tough buying decision made tougher

It sounds to me like you know exactly which bike you want, but you can't get over the Duc's pricetag. Why not buy used? A quick search on cycletrader.com revealed that used 748's are readily available for under $8k.

Get the bike that moves you . . . go for the v-twin.

Mike L.

'99 Cyclone
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2002, 06:48 AM   #32
Lowrez
Founding Member

Here I wanted Alyson Hannigan (SV650: cute, quirky, and capable)
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:48 AM   #33
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Really? You need to look around a little more. There are posts like these from brilliant people on Esportbike.com's forums every hour. It's an awesome place to talk bikes.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:01 AM   #34
nvrdy
Founding Member

Odds were pretty good that somebody else was struggling with this same dilemma. I'm currently in the market for a sportbike. I've always lusted for a 916/996 Duck, but last year's GSXR1000's stats are almost too much to resist. It's been a right side, left side brain struggle for the past six months, but I'll buy the Ducati, and you know why? Because I can and I might not be able to say that down the road. Besides, there will be plenty of used, low mileage Gixxers on the market when the next "Best Sportbike of the Year" hits the showroom floor.
nvrdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:30 AM   #35
3b
Founding Member

I know what you mean. Let me ask you this have you taken the Duc out on a date (a long test ride)? I have gone out with very pretty girls and have ridden really hot bikes only to say to myself that this is a first and last date/ride.

You sound like a guy that likes a unique bike but wants the reliability of a honda. The thing about a honda is that everybody has one.

I would keep looking. Maybe the Triumph speed triple or speed 4 would do the trick.
3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:40 AM   #36
3b
Founding Member

Default Re: This really SCARES me!

That is good thinking. Just make sure she knows down to the tips of her toes that you are a motorcyclist. That it is a part of you... and that to be the same man that she fell in love with you need to have your biking time (in moderation).

I have been married for 14 years and have had at least one bike through them all. Now my kids love to ride on the back and my with is taking the motorcycle safety course.

Good Success!!
3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:16 AM   #37
Gabe
Registered Member

Default We Need More Info!

How are we supposed to know which bike is best for you if you don't let us know what you are going to do with it? Since most US sportbike riders never got on a race track, I will assume this to be the case for you. And since 95% of US motorcyclists don't ride to work regularly, I will also assume this to be true for you. (please ignore the advice if the above isn't true. In fact, if you do commute regularly and/or do a lot of racing/track riding, you probably don't need any advice!)

Because of the above considerations, you probably have no need to consider ultimate performance or reliability. A Duc (916 series) is perfect for the sunny day and weekend rider. It is truly a work of art on wheels, probably the most beautiful motorcycle ever mass-produced.

Well cared for and ridden infrequently, reliability really isn't an issue. My buddy has trouble with his, but he really rides the thing hard. Just puttering around, cruising for chicks? It's fine.

So put the R6 out of your mind. Sure, it's the most-hyped 600 and the favorite of the magazines, but you gotta get what grabs you. So if you can afford it, and don't rely on it as your sole mode of transpo, get the Duc.

But you may want to consider a 998, as I think they hold their resale value better.

Have an awesome riding season!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:38 AM   #38
slimy_one
Founding Member

An R6 is "practical"!? I don't call a bike with that kind of riding position and that kind of powerband and that kind of limited versatility exactly "practical." There are lots of "practical" bikes you could buy in the same price ballpark. If he wants practical, he should get practical. Like maybe a FZ1. Or even a Ducati but only if it's a Monster. The pinnacle of practical would be the Concours, a bike that comes cross-country ready off the floor for a street price around 8g's and is still halfway exciting when called upon after all these many years. But I don't think practical applies to the R6 any more than the 748.

IF you're going to buy a totally IMpractical bike it may as well be the one you like, not the one you're trying to tell yourself is more "practical."
slimy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:59 AM   #39
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Though I haven't owned a 748 or an R-6, I have owned a 916 and several Japanese standards, dual purposes, super sports and superbikes. I currently ride a CR-500 Supermotard and an SV-650S. Of all the bikes that I've owned, the ONE that I regret selling was the 916. If I could afford another 916/996/998 right now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. As it is, all of my cash is spent on racing and related expenses. If I have an increase in income or I stop racing (not likely), I'll have a 998S without delay.

Get the 748 and keep it, you won't regret it.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:09 AM   #40
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default I knew you Buell guys would speak up sooner or later. :)

Talk about a unique ride!

I have to agree with Mike here and say it sounds like you have made up your mind but need more funds.

If I were looking for a play bike then I would go for the chick magnet. For me though the 900 or 750Sport is the way I'd go. That L-Twin is one of the best looking engines on the planet. It's a shame to cover it up with plastic.

But what do I know, I own a Road King and an ST1100.

TatdNPrcd

"Cages are for Hampsters!"

http://www.ridetowork.org

http://www.ironbutt.com
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote