Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Tough buying decision made tougher (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/1055-tough-buying-decision-made-tougher.html)

gbrummett 02-19-2002 03:25 AM

Re: Tough buying decision made tougher

Ducati 748 R

Fun

Rare

Exotic

Talk factor

Wow factor

Impractical

Timeless design

Ducati brotherhood

Yamaha R6

Fun

Faster

Practical

Comfortable

Cheaper to own

Yearly changes

Everyone has one

No brotherhood

Only you can decideÂ…

Joe_Momma 02-19-2002 03:25 AM

This is a beautiful peice of work. Poetry in motion, no pun intended.

Joe_Momma 02-19-2002 03:29 AM

Dang, you guys make me want to trade my R6 in for a Duc.

Joe_Momma 02-19-2002 03:37 AM

Stop the torture

Gosh, I just started reading all of this and you guys make me want to sell the Yamaha and get the Duc. I may have to pawn the HDTV to make a payment but so be it.

I think the anonymous one should make himself known.

ZR-7 02-19-2002 03:41 AM

Get the Ducati. Live is just to damn short! Once you have the Ducati you will forget about the R6. If you buy the R6 you will still want the Ducati.

I like the yellow one!

Philip

ZR-7

Grover 02-19-2002 04:00 AM

In my 5 or so years of following MO this is quite possibly the best string I have ever seen. Posts are well thought out, brilliantly written (in some cases) and spoken with sincerity and emotion... Not to get sappy on you guys or anything but this is why I come to this site everyday, and why I'm willing to pony up a measly $11.94 (or whatever that case of beer costs).

That said, I'm a Ducati owner who recently made a similar decision, and although about once or twice a month a curse at my Duc under my breath as I close my checkbook, I know deep down that anything else would have been simply that, anything else, and not a Ducati. I've lusted after all things italian, two wheels or four, since I can remember, and although the Ferrari is out of reach for now, and possibly forever, my Ducati is that piece of rolling italian art I've always wanted.

mapesd 02-19-2002 04:12 AM

This really SCARES me!

I can't believe I'm reading this. I am in the same boat as Mr. Anonymous and would like to offer my solution to this problem.

First, let me elaborate on how this problem developed. I purchased my 98 ZX-6R and began to form some pretty good friendships with some people that rode in my local area. I met a pretty good friend mine that owned a 95 916. He let me ride it and I was hooked. I had owned my ZX for a little more than 2 months and was setup to trade in on a 748 biposto. Unfortunately, I wadded the ZX one week before I was to take delivery on the 748 and was out for 3 months with a torn ACL. Ever since then, I wanted a duc. The problem is that they're so damn expensive. So I went on to own a CBR600 and sold that at the end of last years riding season because I wanted something more. Unfortunately, I still can't afford the duc and have decided to get a 02 R6. I know myself well enough to know that everytime I here the exhaust and dry clutch of a ducati go by, my heart will sink.

So my advise is to get what you can afford. I am getting engaged this year and just recently moved. Those are the only reasons why I didn't get a duc. Ultimately, it comes down to what you can afford. I just didn't want to get engaged and not bring a bike into the relationship. I know too many people that went through hell trying to get a new bike and convince their new "mate" that riding has always been a part of their life. I would like to add that the bike should be an expression of what makes "you" happy and not your friends. Good luck.

Drego 02-19-2002 04:41 AM

Kid...buy the Ducati and be done with it. However, if you're going to go, go all the way; 998 in blood red please...

everiman 02-19-2002 04:41 AM

Problem is you are trying to make a rational decision about comitting an irrational act.

Face it, there is nothing rational about a motorcycle. The windows don't roll up, they can't stand up by themselves, you can't pack much more groceries than a bag of jellybeans, MCs are totally irrational. If you need more proof consider that Harley's are the best selling big bike.

Once you have accepted that there isn't any motorcycle that makes sense, just go with your gut. If it helps, the Ducati will cost you more, but will also be worth more comes time to trade her in for a mini van. Its really an investment, sorta like a Rembrandt (Rembrandts don't make sense either).

Joe_Momma 02-19-2002 05:33 AM

Hey buddy, try two bags of jellybeans and a bottle of water!!!