Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-18-2002, 07:33 PM   #11
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default Re: Tough buying decision made tougher

oink oink oink oink WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #12
What__4
Founding Member

First things first!

What makes you think the r6 has so much more hp? I have both. The yang has to be flogged like you hate it to get anywhere and riding hard drives the suspension straight into the mac if you weigh more than 140 lbs. and like curvy roads. I always hear that ducs are for tracks, and although they are the world champs, they also take sportbike honors on the street if you live where the roads twist. Since 1993 the 916 has been the target and with only minor changes, they still look like the bike that will challenge the others to equal on the wall on the floor and the street. they will never go out of style becase style comes from them, not japan. Some bodywork, some frame, some twin, the greatest chasis ever built. Own one and everything else has something great to enjoy, but you will enjoy everything about the greatest bike ever built. If they are the same for another 10 years, they will still be the target others try to find something in common with. I flog my r6 till i lose the front end, I fly on my gixer till the shifter gives up

I cut ribbons around switchbacks with my 929 till the 4 popper bores me to tears, but my 748R never ages the twin makes me smile fast or slow the chasis is way ahead of my riding and I'm still learning to tune it. it's drop dead beautifull, thousands of hours of thought and affection for engineering ooz from every line. I cannot imagine having any difficulty making this decision. I do find myself a little jealous of your position to begin discovering Ducati all over again. an adventure neither of us will ever complete. have fun with your new riding partner. w4

i
What__4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:03 PM   #13
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Default Re: BUY THE DUC.

Hrm. 'even a small comment from a friend against the R6's appeal can make you repent the day you bought it'.

How's that? I don't agree with that. I don't give my friends that much credit. They can **** off if they don't like what I bought, but their words ain't gonna affect MY opinion of MY bike in the slightest.

THEN, you went on to advise the anonymous guy to 'be gay'. Hmmmmmmm. ;o)
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:22 PM   #14
YZFknucklehead
Founding Member

If the Duc gives you that tingly sensation down below, then buy it. Chevrolet doesn't sell thousands of Corvettes because they're practical. People want them because they're expensive, fast and good looking. If you can afford it, buy what makes YOU happy.
YZFknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:14 PM   #15
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Are you really thinking about the 748R? Technically, I don't think those are even legal for use on the street in the US. Yes, you can get around it, but what's the real story behind those?

In any case, assuming you really are considering a 748R vs an R6, the choice is simple to me- the Ducati wins. Twins are such a blast, and the R version just has those little trick touches that almost seems to make it worth the money, plus that extra visceral appeal! I think that the R6 is the coolest 600 available, but the twin with the extra gut appeal gets me.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2002, 10:49 PM   #16
shash_what
Founding Member

Default Re: BUY THE DUC.

As far as I can think (not much distance), any person who is buying a Ducati 998/748 for the road, gives quite a lot of credit to other peoples opinion about his bike. But then, as I said, I can't think that far..................
shash_what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:27 AM   #17
xlr8r
Founding Member

The 748 is an emotional amplifier. When you're feeling good, it will make you even better. When you can't quite get youself together it will infuriate you, and you will kick it off its feeble sidestand, damage its fairing and feel worse. The R6 is just fast reliable transport.

This isn't about whether you can afford it financially, but whether you can afford it emotionally - and it sounds like you're already in too deep to turn your back on the Duc. Welcome to the irrational world of motorcycling, where grown men weep with lust over pieces of alloy. And remember, if motorcyclists did the sensible thing, we'd all drive cars. But, thank God, we don't.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:46 AM   #18
stormcloud
Founding Member

Pro's and con's can be emotions too. Eg the thrill of the sound of the two engines - some like the howl of a hi-reving four, some a thump or a twin.

Some appreciate the functional efficiency with as much passion as some appreciate aesthetic beauty.

I'm no engineer, but they ride bikes too dont they? Along with the artists, accountants, nurses, trash collectors.....

Hey, some like Liz Hurley, some like Pam Anderson.......

Happy riding.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 04:20 AM   #19
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Right, entering from behind. But you may have a valid point. The rounded shape of my R6's tank reminded me of this woman, gave me a hard-on while riding. No Really. Yesssss!
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 04:22 AM   #20
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Yessss!!!
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote