Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley Davidson (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/)
-   -   license plate relocation options (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/9705-license-plate-relocation-options.html)

evesweater 10-04-2008 06:18 PM

license plate relocation options

I love my bike. I hate my license plate. It is mounted on the rear fender (07Superglide) and ruins the line of the bike. Not to mention it rattles. I think I could easily fix the rattling, but I was wondering if you guys have a trick for relocating the plate elsewhere. What is legal? I've seen some mounted sideways on bikes. Any old tricks y'all know?

mercenary 10-04-2008 07:04 PM

Do you have any pics of your bike you could post? If you have a passenger seat with a backrest, I've seen plates tacked on to those and it didn't look bad at all.

ETA: Nevermind *blush* I just checked out your pictures link, my idea won't work.

longride 10-05-2008 05:19 AM

In some states like Illinois, mounting your plate sideways is illegal. Check before you do it.

The_AirHawk 10-05-2008 11:16 AM

You think the US plates "ruin" the lines of a bike - try the UK - those things'r big as most US AUTO plates.

The Man has a tendency to hassle riders enough as it is, no sense givin' them a wide-open excuse..........

pplassm 10-06-2008 06:43 AM

No kidding. I can't see how people get away with mounting their plates up in front of the tire, or horizontal, or wrapped around a cylindrical device attached to the rear axle, or any other of a number of ways I see them. I would think they'd get tired of getting puled over.

Kenneth_Moore 10-06-2008 07:01 AM

pushrod 10-06-2008 08:39 AM

The easy answer is a sexy plate surround, loctite on the mounting hardware and doublestick tape between the plate and the surround.

Then don't look back there.

Kinda like the time I asked my Dad why he polished only the front of his shoes. "I'm out to make a good impression when I walk in the room. If they haven't figured me out by the time I leave, it doesn't matter."

Buzglyd 10-06-2008 10:07 AM

Just go in the Custom Chrome or similar catalog and get the Laydown license plate locator for the dyna. It looks much better and doesn't cost much.

evesweater 10-06-2008 03:32 PM

lame, but fair at the same time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 195254)

1,000 dollars is pretty excessive, but so is going 150 mph down the highway. I'm sick of getting pushed around by people in a hurry anyways. A guy just this week passed me on the right on a one lane road after trying to push me to speeding right before a school zone. People need to slow down and enjoy the damned ride.

Kenneth_Moore 10-06-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evesweater (Post 195315)
1,000 dollars is pretty excessive, but so is going 150 mph down the highway.

Forget the speeding, actually I was referring to the detail in the article that says there is a $1,000.00 fine for a license plate that doesn't meet DOT specification.