Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
fitz40
Founding Member

Default Which Harley to buy?

I have rented three different Harleys within the last 10 months: Custom Sportster,Dyna Super Glide and Softail Deluxe(last week). The ride got better and better every time. All three bikes were easy to handle. I will be buying a bike within the next year or so and it appears to me that if I were to rent an Electra Glide Standard I would like that even more. I am thinking of buying an Electra Glide. Any Advice?
fitz40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you are going to do long rides, get the Glide. It will work better than the other three and cost about the same. Look for a review on it here soon.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

What sort of riding do you plan to do? To be sure I suggest you get an Electra Glide for touring, a Sportster for urban traffic and a Buell Ulysses for rough touring. That way you can be sure of having the right ride every time.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

My $.02 worth: the Road Glide. The fixed fairing works better than the batwing, and I think it looks better too.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Depends on your riding style and where you live. In a warm climate around town the Electraglide wouldn't be the best choice as it's heavier and warmer running then the others. If you plan to ride daily in a cooler climate in Barcolounger comfort then it's an excellent all round bike.

If you just plan on around town fun rides then the Sportster, Superglide or Uly would be good choices. The Uly comes with hard bags and an available trunk while the Sporty or Superglide can be set up with bags and a windshield and still be lighter then the FLHT. All three can be used for touring or whatever kind of riding you do.

You really have to sit down and think about what type of riding you plan on then go from there.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Good comments from Snarli. Let's not leave the Road Kings out of the hunt. Great around town and a good touring bike too!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
evesweater
Registered Member

Default Super-glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz40 View Post
I have rented three different Harleys within the last 10 months: Custom Sportster,Dyna Super Glide and Softail Deluxe(last week). The ride got better and better every time. All three bikes were easy to handle. I will be buying a bike within the next year or so and it appears to me that if I were to rent an Electra Glide Standard I would like that even more. I am thinking of buying an Electra Glide. Any Advice?
I have less than 3k miles under my belt, 800 on a Honda 750 Shadow Spirit, and about 2k on a 07' Super-Glide Custom. I couldn't have made a better move as a beginner. I've also rented a Heritage Softail, and I prefer the Superglide. So there's my noob suggestion. I ride it everyday to work, and I also take it on weekend trips when I can.
Good Luck!
evesweater is offline   Reply With Quote