Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
jshurak
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default engine question

hi, i just bought a 98 sportster from a dealership. They serviced it right then and there so I could ride it home. When I got home a friend came over to check it out. We were going over the engine and we notice that (please forgive the layman's terms!) that there is an opening at the top of the v twin blocks(?). Is this normal? Thanks

oh, hey, my name is Jeff, this is my first post!
__________________
--Jeff
jshurak is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

Ok, let's get some definitions down here to see if we can figger out what you're talking about. On a Harley, from bottom to top you are looking at the crankcase, two cylinders, and cylinder heads. Ok? A "block" is a car term. So given that, where is this opening? Is it in the crankcase or somewhere else? On which side of the bike? How big is this hole and what does it look like?
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default

Jeff,

Since you rode the bike home, whatever it is you are referring to is probably normal. Especially if there is no oil coming out of the opening.

And yes, the engine is supposed to shake real bad/good.

Please don't put 'drag pipes' on it.
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
jshurak
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Ok, let's get some definitions down here to see if we can figger out what you're talking about. On a Harley, from bottom to top you are looking at the crankcase, two cylinders, and cylinder heads. Ok? A "block" is a car term. So given that, where is this opening? Is it in the crankcase or somewhere else? On which side of the bike? How big is this hole and what does it look like?
Again I'm sorry for the layman's terms! I'm going to refer to them as 'openings' instead of 'holes' from here on out. 'Holes' is a bit misleading as the openings are part of the engine. If you were to take the tank off and look at the engine from a birds eye view:

Code:
-------- --------
|  _   | |  _   |
| | |  | | | |  |
| |_|  | | |_|  |
|      | |      |
-------- --------
The rectangular openings in the middle. They're supposed to be there, but I guess my question is, are they supposed to be open? I looked at pictures of Honda engines and these openings were plugged up. Other shots of Harley engines were open as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Jeff,

Since you rode the bike home, whatever it is you are referring to is probably normal. Especially if there is no oil coming out of the opening.

And yes, the engine is supposed to shake real bad/good.

Please don't put 'drag pipes' on it.
There is not oil coming out. We'll go ahead and say that shake is 'good'!

I have no plans for drag pipes.

Again, thank you both for your replies.
__________________
--Jeff
jshurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

They are supposed to be open. Have fun!
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

It's normal, It's so you can get a little more cooling out of the hottest part of the engine. It's called a venturi effect, as you're moving the air flow across the openings helps to pull a little more heat away from the cylinder head............

er...I mean OH MY GOD NO !!!! DON'T RIDE THE MOTORCYCLE IT WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!! immediatly crate up and ship the motorcycle to Sarnali c/o Sarnali's Top Secret Fortified Mountain Compound, Bonney Lake, Wa......

send the freight bill to Ken Moore, c/o some nasty shack in a fetid swamp, Florida USA...

I'd wear gloves if I were you.......
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-01-2008 at 01:47 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
jshurak
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
They are supposed to be open. Have fun!
Awesome! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's normal, It's so you can get a little more cooling out of the hottest part of the engine. It's called a venturi effect, as you're moving the air flow across the openings helps to pull a little more heat away from the cylinder head............

er...I mean OH MY GOD NO !!!! DON'T RIDE THE MOTORCYCLE IT WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!! immediatly crate up and ship the motorcycle to Sarnali c/o Sarnali's Top Secret Fortified Mountain Compound, Bonney Lake, Wa......

send the freight bill to Ken Moore, c/o some nasty shack in a fetid swamp, Florida USA...

I'd wear gloves if I were you.......
__________________
--Jeff
jshurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
send the freight bill to Ken Moore, c/o some nasty shack in a fetid swamp, Florida USA...

I'd wear gloves if I were you.......
My swamp is dank, NOT fetid. Y'all come on by, the gators are hungry!
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 07-01-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default

Jeff,

If you haven't noticed, there be a feisty lot hereabouts...

And don't worry about asking questions. They say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Well, on MO there is, and we revel in them!

Not that yours was anything other than a 'noob' question.

So, come back soon and tell us how much fun you are having on the Sporty!
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump