Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley Davidson (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/)
-   -   engine question (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/8666-engine-question.html)

jshurak 07-01-2008 04:03 AM

engine question
 
hi, i just bought a 98 sportster from a dealership. They serviced it right then and there so I could ride it home. When I got home a friend came over to check it out. We were going over the engine and we notice that (please forgive the layman's terms!) that there is an opening at the top of the v twin blocks(?). Is this normal? Thanks

oh, hey, my name is Jeff, this is my first post!

sachiwilson 07-01-2008 06:17 AM

Ok, let's get some definitions down here to see if we can figger out what you're talking about. On a Harley, from bottom to top you are looking at the crankcase, two cylinders, and cylinder heads. Ok? A "block" is a car term. So given that, where is this opening? Is it in the crankcase or somewhere else? On which side of the bike? How big is this hole and what does it look like?

pushrod 07-01-2008 06:18 AM

Jeff,

Since you rode the bike home, whatever it is you are referring to is probably normal. Especially if there is no oil coming out of the opening.

And yes, the engine is supposed to shake real bad/good.

Please don't put 'drag pipes' on it.

jshurak 07-01-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 188089)
Ok, let's get some definitions down here to see if we can figger out what you're talking about. On a Harley, from bottom to top you are looking at the crankcase, two cylinders, and cylinder heads. Ok? A "block" is a car term. So given that, where is this opening? Is it in the crankcase or somewhere else? On which side of the bike? How big is this hole and what does it look like?

Again I'm sorry for the layman's terms! I'm going to refer to them as 'openings' instead of 'holes' from here on out. 'Holes' is a bit misleading as the openings are part of the engine. If you were to take the tank off and look at the engine from a birds eye view:

Code:

-------- --------
|  _  | |  _  |
| | |  | | | |  |
| |_|  | | |_|  |
|      | |      |
-------- --------

The rectangular openings in the middle. They're supposed to be there, but I guess my question is, are they supposed to be open? I looked at pictures of Honda engines and these openings were plugged up. Other shots of Harley engines were open as well.


Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 188090)
Jeff,

Since you rode the bike home, whatever it is you are referring to is probably normal. Especially if there is no oil coming out of the opening.

And yes, the engine is supposed to shake real bad/good.

Please don't put 'drag pipes' on it.

There is not oil coming out. We'll go ahead and say that shake is 'good'!

I have no plans for drag pipes.

Again, thank you both for your replies.

Kenneth_Moore 07-01-2008 12:27 PM

They are supposed to be open. Have fun!

sarnali2 07-01-2008 12:45 PM

It's normal, It's so you can get a little more cooling out of the hottest part of the engine. It's called a venturi effect, as you're moving the air flow across the openings helps to pull a little more heat away from the cylinder head............

er...I mean OH MY GOD NO !!!! DON'T RIDE THE MOTORCYCLE IT WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!! immediatly crate up and ship the motorcycle to Sarnali c/o Sarnali's Top Secret Fortified Mountain Compound, Bonney Lake, Wa......

send the freight bill to Ken Moore, c/o some nasty shack in a fetid swamp, Florida USA...

I'd wear gloves if I were you.......

jshurak 07-01-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 188122)
They are supposed to be open. Have fun!

Awesome! Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 188126)
It's normal, It's so you can get a little more cooling out of the hottest part of the engine. It's called a venturi effect, as you're moving the air flow across the openings helps to pull a little more heat away from the cylinder head............

er...I mean OH MY GOD NO !!!! DON'T RIDE THE MOTORCYCLE IT WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!! immediatly crate up and ship the motorcycle to Sarnali c/o Sarnali's Top Secret Fortified Mountain Compound, Bonney Lake, Wa......

send the freight bill to Ken Moore, c/o some nasty shack in a fetid swamp, Florida USA...

I'd wear gloves if I were you.......

:lol:

Kenneth_Moore 07-01-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 188126)
send the freight bill to Ken Moore, c/o some nasty shack in a fetid swamp, Florida USA...

I'd wear gloves if I were you.......

My swamp is dank, NOT fetid. Y'all come on by, the gators are hungry!

pushrod 07-01-2008 02:53 PM

Jeff,

If you haven't noticed, there be a feisty lot hereabouts...

And don't worry about asking questions. They say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Well, on MO there is, and we revel in them!

Not that yours was anything other than a 'noob' question.

So, come back soon and tell us how much fun you are having on the Sporty!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 AM.