Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
yngwie
Registered Member

Default Entirely Different Security System Problem

I haven’t read anything about this type of problem in any forums. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I’ll try to keep this short, but to clarify this problem may take a bit.

Here’s what happened.

Bought ‘07 EG Classic. Great bike!

To finish break-in rode about 135 miles - one direction. Stopped at gas station for water & restroom break. Didn’t need gas…yet (figured I’d get it on the way back). Finished water & ready to go. Bike won’t start (550 miles). Alternating turn signals. Didn’t have owners manual yet (for the “start without fob” instructions - dealer had to order one). About 45 minutes later bike finally starts. Gonna ride straight home.

Got about 60 miles from home and gas light comes on - ain’t gonna make it - NEED GAS!

Stop for gas. Same problem only this time about 2-½ hours before bike starts. Get home, shut off and won’t restart AGAIN!!

Got manual. Learned “start without fob”. Works. I figured “Now if it won’t start, I’ll just use code to start”.

Rode different distances (upwards of 100 miles) - no problems.

Happened AGAIN!! No problem- used signals to start bike.

Took to dealer and explained problem. They could not find anything wrong (they put over 100 miles on it - checked for codes also - problem never showed up).

Finally quit having problems until this week (5500 miles). Got home from work (just 10 miles) bike won’t restart- alternating signals. Tried code. Wouldn’t even let me finish putting code in and started alternating signals. Tried several times. Also kept alternating signals for about five minutes - bike was just sitting there, stopped flashing and then started flashing again. Gave up and just went to bed.

Next day rode for a while then to work with no problem (about 50 miles). Rode home - no restart! What the…!!

Work and back a couple of days - no problem.

Today cruise before work then rode to work, no problem (40 miles). Rode straight home - 10 miles - NO RESTART AT HOME…AGAIN!!

Waited about ½ hour and then it started.

I know that intermittent problems are a real bear to find. Could or should this be covered by warranty? Didn’t buy from local dealer. Dealer I bought from is too far to just “drop by”.

Love the bike but HATE the problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

For warranty work is ANY dealer supposed to work on bike or just dealer that I purchased from? (I know, stupid question!). Will I have any problems getting work done by dealer that I didn’t buy from? (stupid question #2!).

Thanks for any feedback

Ride Safe!

Yngwie
yngwie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngwie View Post
I know that intermittent problems are a real bear to find. Could or should this be covered by warranty? Didn’t buy from local dealer. Dealer I bought from is too far to just “drop by”.

Love the bike but HATE the problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

For warranty work is ANY dealer supposed to work on bike or just dealer that I purchased from? (I know, stupid question!). Will I have any problems getting work done by dealer that I didn’t buy from? (stupid question #2!).

Thanks for any feedback

Ride Safe!

Yngwie
If there's a Factory Warranty left on the bike - then YES, this IS a Warranty issue.

In Theory, you can get the service at ANY Dealer - but Good Luck with that. NO Dealer wants any part of this problem, I can tell you that right now; so the local may be resistant to helping you out. But, that shouldn't stop you from trying.

Sorry this problem is tarnishing the enjoyment of your new Moto.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yes, it is covered by a warranty, but the question is why is the security system engaging? Do you have a fob for it? You have to have gotten at least two before you got the bike. The only thing that can set the security is the fob. Are you accidentally setting the security with the fob and don't know how to disengage it? I have a buddy that just bought an 05 Street Glide and it took him about two hours to figure out how to get the security system off. Hold the fob for about 3 seconds to set the security and double click to turn it off. Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Shoulda bought a Shovelhead.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Yes, it is covered by a warranty, but the question is why is the security system engaging? Do you have a fob for it? You have to have gotten at least two before you got the bike. The only thing that can set the security is the fob. Are you accidentally setting the security with the fob and don't know how to disengage it? I have a buddy that just bought an 05 Street Glide and it took him about two hours to figure out how to get the security system off. Hold the fob for about 3 seconds to set the security and double click to turn it off. Hope this helps.
The new bikes don't have a push button fob though. They activate/deactivate based on your proximity to the bike.

It seems like they could just replace your security module and it would be fixed.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The one on my previous '05 Dyna was a total PIA too, when I replaced the stock module with an SE 6200 RPM one I had to reset it. I don't know about newer EFI models but for the '05's there's pretty detailed instructions in the factory manual on how to set it, change the code or disable it. The Harley factory manual is a real goldmine, well worth the money.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
yngwie
Registered Member

Yeah, I got two fobs. both have worked. One for work only and one for when just cruising. Neither see any abuse.

I'll start simple and change the batteries in both and see what happens.

Any others?

Thanks,

Yngwie
yngwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Jeezus!

That would be 'salt water.' Forgot the Nanny doesn't like the other way to spell it...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

If the easy actions don't help, we have a couple of guys on the site that are fond of the warm sal****er treatment.

I'll let them elucidate.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Jeezus!

That would be 'salt water.' Forgot the Nanny doesn't like the other way to spell it...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.