Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Buell Police Bike

NEW BUELL ULYSSES® POLICE OFFERS SPECIAL-DUTY CAPABILITY
Powerful and Agile on Highways or Unpaved Roads

EAST TROY, Wis. (May 21, 200 – The new Buell Ulysses® Police XB12XP offers government agencies and private security firms a quick and very nimble “special duty” patrol vehicle that is capable of travel over a variety of terrain, from open highways to city streets to unpaved back-country roads.

Based on the versatile Buell Ulysses adventure sportbike, the Ulysses Police features long-travel suspension, generous ground clearance and aggressive tires that allow it to tackle roads too rough or narrow for confident travel in an automobile or on a traditional police motorcycle. On smooth pavement, the Ulysses Police is an agile sport motorcycle. The Ulysses Police can also accommodate a passenger. Available for order through Buell dealers as of May 27, 2008, production of the 2009 Ulysses Police is scheduled to begin in August 2008.

Special features of the Ulysses Police include hard-shell top and side cases, each removable and lockable. The side cases are narrower than the standard Ulysses accessory side cases, allowing for more clearance in tight situations. On the Ulysses Police model, the Buell Triple Tail system functions as a luggage rack with tie-down hooks over the rear seat position, or as a cushioned passenger backrest with grab rails. A tall windshield, heated hand grips, and handlebar deflectors are also standard equipment. An available emergency response kit provides a siren and an LED lighting package in three different color configurations (Red/Blue, Red/Red, or Blue/Blue).

The Ulysses Police is powered by an air/oil/fan-cooled, fuel-injected Buell Thunderstorm 1203cc V-Twin engine that delivers 103 peak horsepower. This engine’s broad powerband and abundant torque gives the Ulysses the ability to proceed at lower speeds over uneven or unpaved roads with less gear shifting, and to deliver instant bursts of acceleration. The Ulysses Police has an EPA fuel mileage rating of 51 mpg urban/64 mpg highway*. A Goodyear Hibrex final drive belt with Flexten Plus technology is durable and never needs adjustment or lubrication.

Premium Showa front and rear suspension is fully adjustable. Rear spring preload can be adjusted for passenger and gear weight simply by turning a dial located below the left side of the seat. Suspension travel is 6.5 inches in front and 6.4 inches at the rear. Ground clearance is 6.75 inches.

The Ulysses Police features a 4.4-gallon fuel reservoir integrated into the aluminum frame. The lower center of mass achieved by carrying fuel in the frame, rather than in a tank located high on top of the frame, enhances rider confidence on and off pavement. The muffler is located below the engine to further lower the center of gravity and centralize mass for improved handling in all situations. Low unsprung weight helps keep the tires in contact with uneven road surfaces for improved control. The 17-inch, six-spoke, reinforced cast-aluminum wheels feature a durable rim design, and Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires deliver good traction on paved and unpaved roads. A dual front fender system provides debris protection for the rider and the bike.

The Ulysses Police will be offered in two color choices: Birch White and Midnight Black.

*Based on tests conducted under lab conditions per U.S. EPA test procedures. Mileage will vary depending on personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length and vehicle condition.

Buell Ulysses Police XB12XP highlights
Buell Thunderstorm 1203 V-Twin engine
103 peak hp @ 6800 rpm (per SAE J607)
84 ft. lbs. peak torque @ 6000 rpm (per SAE J607)
Buell InterActive Exhaust
DDFI 3 Electronic Fuel Injection ECM
Eight-row oil cooler with Jiffy-tite fittings
Dry Weight: 480 pounds fully up-fitted with Emergency Lighting Kit
Wheelbase: 54 inches (unladen)
Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires
Fully adjustable 47 mm Showa inverted fork
Fully adjustable Showa rear shock absorber with remote reservoir
Buell ZTL front brake
Double front fender design
Goodyear Hibrex drive belt with Flexten Plus technology
Quick-release tall windscreen
Frame pucks
Handlebar deflectors
Triple Tail System (tailrack/backrest)
4.4-gallon fuel capacity
Functional tool kit
2 x 12v. power outlets
Heated hand grips
Police-specific wiring harness
Siren and LED pursuit light package (LED lighting options include Red/Red, Red/Blue, and Blue/Blue)
Removable locking top and side cases
Birch White and Midnight Black

Buell Motorcycle Company, a subsidiary of Harley-Davidson, Inc., produces premium sport performance motorcycles, motorcycle parts, accessories and apparel. To learn more about Buell motorcycles, visit your local Buell dealer and experience the aggressive attitude, style and performance only found on board a Buell. For the Buell dealer nearest you, pull into www.buell.com

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Geeze, you idiot, can't you format your dam*ed ads?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ah cool, I better add one of those to the list too, probably be a few years before they filter in and back out of service.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Ah cool, I better add one of those to the list too, probably be a few years before they filter in and back out of service.
I wouldn't if I were you. The FLHRP cop Road Kings I used to sell where some whipped dogs. Oh sure, we told stories about how we had to do the 3k maintenance on them even if they had to be towed in when they hit the mileage mark. And how the cops just babied their rides 'cause they had so much pride in them. Ahem. Meanwhile the mechs were in the back heating up the under-frames with torches to bend them back in place after they jumped one too many curbs. And changing the absolute fewest number of gaskets and parts to keep them from pissing all over themselves and run long enough to get off the lot. Ever see those Chevy Caprice cop cars with the cop logos peeled off and the crack dealer inside? Still have the spotlight sticking out? The used HD cop bikes are the same thing. If you want to buy a used 'King, find the one in the guy's garage with 2k miles. Same price, infinitely better bike.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I had an FLHP shovelhead and a '69 State Patrol Fury 3. Used to be cheap rides, The bagger was in good shape because they used them for training so a lot of low speed scuffs and fried clutch plates, other than that I got over 70k with only a fried exhaust valve and guide.

The Fury 3 was a Blues Bros. special, 440 Intercepter motor, cop cams, cop ignition, 4160 Holley, factory duel exhausts, and a spotlight, all riding on skinny little bias ply tires, probably the funnest car I've owned next to my one owner '69 Impala SS 427 2 dr. that my first wife and her brother were kind enough to total after a night o' drinkin'...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

But let's hope the Buell Cops don't have to make a quick u-turn in a narrow alley, those 14 point turns are hell on the stopwatch...
Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
But let's hope the Buell Cops don't have to make a quick u-turn in a narrow alley, those 14 point turns are hell on the stopwatch...
I don't know about that. After the upgraded turning radius, the new Buells turn on a dime. That's one of the main reasons I waited to get the upgraded '08 Uly (that and the heated grips came standard)!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Shoot, Tom Cruise could do a 180 stoppie on one, like he did on the Speed Triple in that there Mission Impossible movie!

Heck-fire, he did it while shooting a pistol with (no doubt) unerring accuracy!

I always wondered how the Daytona and Speed Triple handled with those DS tires.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Shoot, Tom Cruise could do a 180 stoppie on one, like he did on the Speed Triple in that there Mission Impossible movie!

Heck-fire, he did it while shooting a pistol with (no doubt) unerring accuracy!

I always wondered how the Daytona and Speed Triple handled with those DS tires.
What I always wondered was how the heck could a stinking Range Rover keep up with either of those bikes?

It's the Hollywood universe. Did you ever see "Fled"? Crappy movie but near the end there's a chase scene where the two heroes are on Duck916's cutting through turnpike traffic and the baddies in a freaking Cadillac stay right behind them. LOL!