Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
flyingdago48
Registered Member

Question 1990 springer softail

I'm an old coot, just turned 60, looking to get back to bikes. I have the opportunity to buy a 1990 springer softail, 13,000 miles. Bike looks fantastic,with original paint no scratches, runs great, seller is asking $8000, probably take $7,000 to $7,500. Bike is stock, only real change is the baffles were removed so I will need new pipes. Will parts be hard to get, do I buy new? Any thoughts, pro or con.
flyingdago48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

When he gets down to 3 grand on the price, then jump on it. Wait him out!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

$8000 is probably a bit stiff, but then I don't know where you live.

Check Kelley's Blue Book, NADA and then eBay for values on similar vintage H-D's.

The biggest "bang-for-the-buck" performance mod for the Evo motors was to punch out the baffle in the pipes. That, when combined with a K&N filter and re-jetting a bit richer, made a big difference in the power, especially in the upper rpm range.

I remember a report (American Iron, maybe?) way back when where a bunch of pipes were run on the same bike on a dyno, and one of the configurations was the "punched-out" stock 2-into-2 pipe. The punched-out pipe was practically as efficient as the high-dollar aftermarket pieces.

So, unless you have a problem with the appearance or the lack of noise, there isn't any real reason to change the pipes.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Parts availability will be no issue whatsoever for a long, long time. 08 is the last year for the Springers from HD with the exception of some CVO bikes (Screamin Eagle special editions). I had an Evo Springer Softail for a couple of years and loved it.

$8k is high, NADA has the '95 at $6,500. But, if it's perfect and 100% stock, it may be a decent buy in the long run. I doubt you'd lose much on it if you didn't f' it up with crappy accessories.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
anrajala
Founding Member

You “have opportunity” to buy that heftily priced springer? What are you talking about old boy? You live in a free country (OK so you can’t drink beer on the beaches like in the rest of the world) so you can buy any freeking bike you might want. It’s the seller who has opportunity. Opportunity to get your money. You have no opportunity because you have the cash and the cash is the king.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote