Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
GoodRev
Registered Member

Exclamation VRSCD or VRSCDX

Ok I am looking to possibly buy a VRSC Harley. I've always been more of a sport bike guy, but I really like the look and idea of the vrsc bikes...and who doesn't want a Harley at some point right? Here's my question...I really like the look of the night rod special VRSCDX, moreso than just about any bike I have seen recently. What I am not sure about is the front mounted controls. I am not sure how uncomfortable they will be in the long run. Also, the wider rear tire and lower rear suspension, combined with those front controls seem as though they would make in-town driving a little trickier, and this is my first non-ricer bike...so I'm just not sure. The regular night rod VRSCD on the other hand, has a narrower rear tire, and slightly more comfortable looking suspension, as well as mid controls, and folding front pegs so I can stretch if I want.
But, the VRSCD is not as exotic looking, and not as visually appealing to me. It is still a pretty sweet looking bike, and performance-wise, they are close to being the same bike. I am just not sure if a few months after I buy the VRSCD, I will wish I had the special. I know its my judgement call in the end, but riding comparisons between the two are impossible to find....any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
GoodRev is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Beauty is only a Black rattle-can away........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Since I rode both the standard V-Rod and the Night Rod for months, and tested them for MO, I can answer your question. The V-Rod in any form is a decently comfortable bike. It has a really nice powerband, and handles well within its limits and is even better with the 5 gallon tank and the Brembos that the ones I rode didn't have. My Advice? Get the Night Rod Special. You can change the controls if you don't like them, but you will get used to them pretty quickly even if they aren't your cup of tea. There are mid mount kits for any V-Rod, and I think you can even use the parts off the Night Rod to convert if you had the notion. I dig that Night Rod Special too, and that is the one I would buy, and it can be easily modified to fit you the way you like.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
GoodRev
Registered Member

and that...is exactly what I wanted to hear. I simply hadn't found anyone who had been on the bikes. The weather has been lousy anywhere near a test ride day,(damn seattle) and I really, really, REALLY love the way that night rod special looks. I know looks aren't everything...but I saw a special, and am immediately looking to get off a ducati and on a harley.
CBR600rr->ducati 749->R1->ducati 999 has been my path...but honestly, just seeing that bike once started me thinking. I've always been into american muscle on 4 wheels, my last 4 cars have been camaros and vettes, but I am honestly ready for a more comfortable bike...with good power, and less trouble.
GoodRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Take a test ride and I think you will be hooked. Remember, it doesn't handle like a sport bike, but it isn't terrible like a lot of cruisers. The power is more than enough to keep you interested, and the brakes will be literally one-finger strong.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Take a test ride and I think you will be hooked. Remember, it doesn't handle like a sport bike, but it isn't terrible like a lot of cruisers. The power is more than enough to keep you interested, and the brakes will be literally one-finger strong.
You forgot to tell him that H-D's website has some great route planning and time management tools!

I've ridden all the Rods as well and I'd love to have either in my garage.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"You forgot to tell him that H-D's website has some great route planning and time management tools!"

Looks like another guy that doesn't know 'jack shyt' about IBA style riding. You bums are all over the place!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

So yer sayin' he should use Hi-Temp BBQ paint on the cylinders and headers?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

The BBQ paint worked great on my FXR!

LR, how is the fuel range on the bikes with the "bigger" tank? The only time I rode with a guy on a V-Rod, he had to stop as often as the guys on P-nut tanked Sporty's.

I'm trying to picture getting off a 999 and climbing on a V-Rod. That first corner is gonna be interesting...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I'm trying to picture getting off a 999 and climbing on a V-Rod. That first corner is gonna be interesting...

That's a steep learning curve alright, when I went back to Harley after 20 years of sporty bikes I took a few corners on the frame instead of the wheels before I adjusted my riding style. I still get bit once in awhile, specially if I ride the Suzuki for a week then jump on the Dyna...

I would get the Special, that's a nice lookin' bike, I'd love to have one.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote