Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley Davidson (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/)
-   -   XLCR - Should HD make a new one? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/7240-xlcr-should-hd-make-new-one.html)

scudracer 02-07-2008 07:24 PM

XLCR - Should HD make a new one?

Do you think it's time HD made a new XLCR or do you think that's now a job best left to Buell?

seruzawa 02-07-2008 08:40 PM

Bring the XR1200 over from Europe. Make sure it has 17" wheels.... like God intended. I can put my own drag bars and 1/4 fairing on it.

scudracer 02-07-2008 09:16 PM

Cafe Racer

IMHO the XR1200 is more of a Flat Tracker replica. What I'm talking about is an all black retro Cafe Racer, like the one Sundance in Japan is making right now - Biker Voodoo » SUNDANCE HARLEY-DAVIDSON “XRCR” CAFE RACER REPLICA

The XR1200 is cool though, no doubt about that. Surely with stuff like the Triumph Bonneville, Bonneville Scrambler and Thruxton selling, there is some market niche for a 2008 XLCR?

sfcdjevans 02-08-2008 04:15 AM

Ok in money talk what's an RM and why do those bits and piece need so many of them? Nice looking bike, I wonder how a production model would do? Quick someone do the demographics, find the niche market, crunch the numbers! Not gonna happen is it?

longride 02-08-2008 04:33 AM

If they did make it, who exactly would be in the market for that type of bike? It would be much slower, heavier, and worse handling than any Japanese liter bike as well as probably more expensive to boot. I can't imagine there is much of a market for it, which is pretty much the same reason they never sold the last XLCR they made.

sarnali2 02-08-2008 07:08 AM

It's a shame too, they are one of the coolest looking Harley's going. I'm surprised that with Harley wanting to get into a younger demographic they're not selling the XR 1200 here, I would imagine it would sell pretty well.

longride 02-08-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 178565)
It's a shame too, they are one of the coolest looking Harley's going. I'm surprised that with Harley wanting to get into a younger demographic they're not selling the XR 1200 here, I would imagine it would sell pretty well.

I'm pretty sure they don't sell it here because they think it won't sell well. I'm not sure if they are right, but I think they have experience with what sells and what doesn't.

The_AirHawk 02-08-2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 178567)
I'm pretty sure they don't sell it here because they think it won't sell well. I'm not sure if they are right, but I think they have experience with what sells and what doesn't.

I just don't get that, really. They're already building it - it's "Made in the U.S.A." right? How hard would it be to build a few-dozen extra, and put 'em in a couple of "volunteer" Dealerships instead of shipping overseas?

Is there some law I'm overlooking that would prevent a "test run" of these being sold here?

sarnali2 02-08-2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 178567)

No doubt, they know their demographic very well. They've done an incredible job of marketing and upgrading the line-up to fit their niche and crank out some excellent machines. They also know they have an aging customer base and to appeal to a younger market they need performance and handling. The Buell is a step in the right direction but not everyone wants a full-on sportbike. I think the XR 1200 as well as the 1200 Roadster fill in the middle ground of Sportster style with decent performance at a reasonable price.......Just my opinion, worth what Harley paid for it but if I and a lot of other people can see it then they can too.

longride 02-08-2008 08:07 AM

Maybe they are waiting for that 'big outcry' to get that bike in the US market. I've been waiting for a V-Rod powered tourer for a few years now. Can't figure out why they won't make that one. I'd buy one the day they came out.