Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default Sporster Quarter Fairing

My friend who rides a XL 1200 would like to know if any MoFos have installed the HD Quarter Fairing on their bike, and if so, what were their impressions of it. Any info you can share would be appreciated. Thanks!
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

The impressions were that the Japanese quarter fairing for Sportsters handled better, produced more HP and had better brakes than the HD quarter fairing. I am proud to say I bought the Yamaha quarter fairing because I am a Lone Wolf, a rugged individualist, who takes the road less traveled. This is after years of owning HD quarter fairings. No longer do all of my friends think that my quarter fairing is a "loser" quarter fairing as it has won many shootouts.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

While I've not used the Sporty 1/4 fairing I do have some experience with 1/4 fairings on other bikes. They keep the wind off of your chest. That's about it. If he's looking for some wind protection he's better off with a small cruiser windshield from National Cycle.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
The impressions were that the Japanese quarter fairing for Sportsters handled better, produced more HP and had better brakes than the HD quarter fairing. I am proud to say I bought the Yamaha quarter fairing because I am a Lone Wolf, a rugged individualist, who takes the road less traveled. This is after years of owning HD quarter fairings. No longer do all of my friends think that my quarter fairing is a "loser" quarter fairing as it has won many shootouts.
She's particulary interested to learn if it creates an impression of "Fists in the Wind."
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
While I've not used the Sporty 1/4 fairing I do have some experience with 1/4 fairings on other bikes. They keep the wind off of your chest. That's about it. If he's looking for some wind protection he's better off with a small cruiser windshield from National Cycle.
A serious answer. I'm at a loss.

She has the quick detach from HD. Seems like it doesn't do much aside from add headshake at speed. The 1/4 fairing is frame-mounted, and she's hoping it will give protection w/o the headshake.

It's not my cup o' tea, but at least the girl rides!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quarter fairing.jpg (4.0 KB, 28 views)
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,490
Default

Knowin' Harley, it's probably a Buck-and-a-Quarter, Quarter-Fairing made in Hong Kong for Fifteen-Cents...........
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
A serious answer. I'm at a loss.

She has the quick detach from HD. Seems like it doesn't do much aside from add headshake at speed. The 1/4 fairing is frame-mounted, and she's hoping it will give protection w/o the headshake.

It's not my cup o' tea, but at least the girl rides!
I've got the NC street shield on my Magna and it does a good job of keeping the wind off and doesn't cause headshake on that bike. Now if the rest of the bike were as reliable.....
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I've got the NC street shield on my Magna and it does a good job of keeping the wind off and doesn't cause headshake on that bike. Now if the rest of the bike were as reliable.....


I'd imagine the fact that it don't run half the time is what's keeping the wind off
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'd imagine the fact that it don't run half the time is what's keeping the wind off
I think I keep the POS around just so I can laugh when I hear the Honda toadies go off about Honda's "superior quality." Note that they still use 80's era Suzuki (and Kwacker) engines for dragbikes. Where are the "superior" Hondas? LOL!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

I learned my lesson on Hondas with my '84 V65 Sabre and my '97 VFR......Thanks but no thanks...

Those a/o cooled GSXR mills are the Chevy small block of the motorcycle world, you can build the livin' sh*t out of them and they just beg for more. I think the only way to kill one is a .44 Mag
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off