Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley Davidson (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/)
-   -   Crack in the dam? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson/5618-crack-dam.html)

Buzglyd 06-27-2007 09:19 AM

I dropped off the Glide for new tires yesterday and talked with my friend that owns an independent shop for a while. He thinks the bobber thing is already over.

What he did mention (and this is great) is that what he sees is younger people buying Geezer glides. Not old farts but guys in their 20s-30s want bikes that they can ride a long distance rather than a chopper/bobber.

He said, "people seem to want to ride more now." Imagine that.

longride 06-27-2007 09:23 AM

Yeah, imagine buying a motorcycle and actually riding more than 5 miles to the bar! What a concept! The next thing you know there will 50,000 at the IronButt every year elbowing sachiwilson at the starting line and throwing a few sexist epithets her way. I can't wait. :-D

Kenneth_Moore 06-27-2007 10:32 AM

Motorcycling came out from under the radar back in the 90's, and I seriously doubt it will ever go back under. Even if the market growth flattens, it's a matter of slower growth of an already larger base. Given that fact, I suspect it's better to deal with it rather than hope it goes away.

longride 06-27-2007 10:37 AM

I suppose we will HAVE to deal with it, but can't I hope is goes away? I see so many dopes out there that are not interested in riding, or learning to ride, but are into it for the 'lifestyle' or to 'pick up chicks'. I guess it's wishful thinking to make them go back to whatever they were doing before 'discovering' motorcycling.

seruzawa 06-27-2007 10:47 AM

Well, be optimistic. The son of a friend of mine got really hot for a bike last year. He bought an R6 and read all the mags and rode all over the place. This year he sold it and went off to something else. That's how it is with most of the youngsters.

Kreb_Cycle 06-27-2007 10:59 AM

I keep pretending that I'm doing it to pick up chicks, but I'm not fooling anyone. I think I ride purely to keep myself sane, or whatever this state is that I'm attempting to pass off as sane.

I love this line from the article:
"A merger between Harley and Honda would be highly unlikely for regulatory reasons, since combined the two companies would capture 65% of the heavyweight motorcycle market."

My new favorite classification of Harleys: "Heavyweight motorcycles."

longride 06-27-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreb_Cycle (Post 163556)
My new favorite classification of Harleys: "Heavyweight motorcycles."

Boy, that's an understatement if there ever was one!

seruzawa 06-27-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 163558)
Boy, that's an understatement if there ever was one!

The irony is that the Japanese equivalent cruisers (90"+) all weight more. Comparatively, a plain FXSuperglide is positively svelt and agile.

longride 06-27-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 163560)
The irony is that the Japanese equivalent cruisers (90"+) all weight more. Comparatively, a plain FXSuperglide is positively svelt and agile.

Road hugging weight. You can't beat it! What really amazes me is how Triumph could make a Bonnie 100 lbs heavier than the original. With modern tech and metals, couldn't they make it lighter for less money? Every bike being made today is heavier than the one that preceded it, superbikes excepting. Don't know how they do it.

Fenton 06-27-2007 11:23 AM

I stopped by a local HD shop here in Napa yesterday and was amazed that not one of the four '03 & '04 consignment bikes had more than 3000 miles. One had 1200 and one had 1500 miles and they are pushing 4 years old.