Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Lakota
Premium Member

Smile Introduction

Hey guys,

I'm a new guy on this forum, and i thought I would introduce myself.

I'm logged in as Lakota, but my first name is John. I've been riding various brands on and off for 35 years. Right now, I'm riding an old but good Honda Shadow (2003), and my wife is riding an equally old Yamaha Virago (1993) that she's owned for 15 years.

In between we've owned Harleys--the last of which were a couple of Sportsters. I had a '96 1200 conversion, and Ann rode an 84 1/2 modified ironhead.

I'm retired now, and we've just moved 10 miles away from a pretty decent midwestern Harley dealer (or so I've been told). So you know what I'm thinking . . . I'd like a cruiser; it's past time.

Which brings me to why I'm on this forum; I know the old FXRs were great bikes; now I'm looking at Dynas, Fatboys, Softails, and thinking, thinking, thinking. I've got to get myself on these babies and see which one chooses me as its rider.

So I'm here to learn from the community. It's been a while since I focused on the Motor Company; what say you guys about your experiences?

I would love to hear from all of you.

-john
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

The FXR was known for it's great chassis and handling (compared to other HDs, of course). If that's what interests you, the XR1200 is HD's current best-handling bike. The FX series is now known as the "Dyna" line; which are non-unit, standard swingarm and shock "Big Twins." You can find reviews on almost all of HD's lineup right here on Motorcycle.com.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Lakota
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The FXR was known for it's great chassis and handling (compared to other HDs, of course). If that's what interests you, the XR1200 is HD's current best-handling bike. The FX series is now known as the "Dyna" line; which are non-unit, standard swingarm and shock "Big Twins." You can find reviews on almost all of HD's lineup right here on Motorcycle.com.
Thanks! 10 years have passed since I've been on a Harley cruiser, and that was the smaller motor--the 1340 cc?

I suppose that I'll start with a predisposition toward Dynas; I'd like a bike that handles well but also cruises comfortably on the interstates for a few hundred miles at a time. I'm not after a touring bike, however--too big and too expensive.

This doesn't seem to be a very busy forum. I had hoped for a lot of input from a number of riders of differing models.

-john
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota
This doesn't seem to be a very busy forum. I had hoped for a lot of input from a number of riders of differing models.

-john
It used to be - but then they Banned The Kook, and it all went sternways from there. Once that, nobody had anything further to live for, as Kookswatting was a National Pastime back then.

So, we've all slowly died-off....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post

-john
You'll get a lot more Harley-specific information (for better or worse) at any of a bazzillion forums like: Harley Davidson Forum: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums, or Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum. There's also many HD-centric local sites; which is a good way to find rides and events in your neck of the woods.

Since you've been away, two important tips:

- Get a Pirate outfit. You'll want a bandanna to tie around your head, a dagger, a super-wide belt with a giant brass buckle, etc.

- View this instructional video on current HD motoring etiquette: South Park - The F Word - Harley Riders - YouTube

Have fun!

Last edited by The Spaceman : 07-31-2012 at 05:10 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

John,

First, welcome to the site!

You need to sit on and, if possible, ride a couple models of the HD range. They've changed quite a bit since your Sporty.

I had a FXLR (Low Rider) and loved it until my riding preferences changed. If I was to buy a Harley now, I'm very impressed with the RoadKing model. Not too big, really comfortable, and handling is pretty good. And the pillion isn't too bad.

Not to dissuade you from the Harleys, but if you have a Triumph dealership in your time zone, check out the Thunderbirds.

Again, welcome to our crazy little nook of the 'Net!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote