Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 03-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
calnite22
Registered Member

Default Advice for First Bike

Hey everyone,
I am looking into buying my first Harley. I am planning on taking a safety course this spring and then soon after that I will be buying my first bike. I would like some advice on which bikes would be good starter bikes. I am 6'6" and 230 lbs so I do want a bike that I can fit on. I have been to numerous dealerships and spoken with numerous salesmen who all tell me that a sportster is too small for me and I need to go with ahead and get a dyna. Is this true or are they just trying to get me on bigger bike so they can get more $$ on the sale. I would greatly appreciate some words of wisdom! Thanks for the help. ~ Cal
calnite22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I wouldn't choose either of them for a first bike. Get a used bike like a KLR 650 and learn how to ride it. Then decide which Harley you want. And the Sportster would not be too small for you by the way.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
V2Rider
Premium Member

I agree with not getting a HD until you've been riding a bit.

If you have to have a Harley now they have a program where you can get a Sportster until the 31st of March, ride it up to a year, then trade it in on a Dyna or other model and get the full price you paid for it on the trade.

Harley-Davidson USA | We Ride Free
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Stoopid salesmen.

+1 on the KLR or other cheap used bike that you can learn to ride on.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
calnite22
Registered Member

I think ya'll may have misunderstood what I'm asking. I know that a cheaper bike like what your talking about is the best to learn on; however, I'm wanting to know what the best Harley for me will be once I do learn to ride. And I want to know if I'm just being told BS by salesmen trying to make more money on a sale.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
V2Rider
Premium Member

If it were me I'd go larger than a Sportster, most likely a Road King Classic. I think the salesmen in this case are probably right. After a while I think you would find the Sporty cramped and would be looking to go larger.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I know that a cheaper bike like what your talking about is the best to learn on; however, I'm wanting to know what the best Harley for me will be once I do learn to ride."

Nothing wrong with the Sportster at all. I love em. I rode em and tested em. Just as good as any 'Big Twin' for lots less money. Of course, it will p!ss off all the new Harley goys that just started riding last week, but that is a big plus in my book.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
mugwump58
Registered Member

"Goys"? I thought all Harley riders were goys. Did Gabe ride a Harley?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
calnite22
Registered Member

I've been to a couple dealerships and sat on both the sportster and dyna models. The sporty felt just fine to me (of course I will need forward controls b/c of my height). But all every salesman keeps saying is that I will "outgrow" the bike in a year and I should just go ahead and get the bigger bike now. Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

Late model sportsters ('04 and up) are 75 lbs heavier than previous years. This due to the rubber -mount engine.

I'd buy a pre '04 Sportster. I see no reason to get a big twin, unless it's an unbelievable deal.