Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
kinghd78
Registered Member

Default Got another one for you guys......clutch!!!!!

Ok, here's the deal. My clutch started grabing so I tore it apart, put all new plates and a new pressure plate in, it was warped, checked the hub for cracks, put the "Big Fix" and a Ram retainer in, made sure I had it adjusted right but it STILL grabs. Any suggestions?
kinghd78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Do you have a 3 finger or 5 finger hub? Second, the outer clutch shell may be warped. Run the bike with the primary off and watch the outer shell. It may wobble, causing the grabbing. Having a lift helps here so you can work the clutch and watch what happens. Replace the outer clutch shell if you see anything there. If the outer shell looks straight, get a 5 finger hub and it will probably fix it. The 3 finger ones usually have grabbing issues.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
kinghd78
Registered Member

Ok, I think I'll go the 5 finger route, buying them, not giving them to you. LOL. I've been looking at those but was holding off. Guess I'll take the plunge. I do have a jack so I'll put it up there and check it out. Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
kinghd78
Registered Member

Well, I've been working on this thing all this time trying different stuff. I had an Alto extra plate clutch in it which I swapped to a heavy duty police clutch. That cured the grabbing problem but now the damn thing won't release all the way and I have a hard time getting neutral plus it gets hot in traffic jams and actually shuts the engine down. I replaced the throwout bearing, rod, actuator, I have the big fix in it, ram jet retainer, nothing left to change. ARRRRRRRR!!!!! Reday to sell the damn thing.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Is the basket out of round? Since you seem to have replaced everything else that's be the next thing I'd check.