Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Harley Davidson

Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
evesweater
Registered Member

Default Front Brake Newb Question

I've noticed when I kill the enginge (by the way, does it matter if I use the kill switch or the on/off switch on the to kill the engine?) Anywho.

After the engine is silent, and I'm pushing the bike around to get it situated, I notice a slight dragging sound coming from the front disc brake where it is meeting the brake pads. I can't tell that there is any resistance, but I'm also not experienced enough to know if this is an indicator that something is not set correctly. When looking at the actual brake pads, it seems like they are resting on the disc without a gap. Is this normal?

And since I'm up here asking questions, is it normal to get a pretty solid thunk when putting the bike into first gear after it's been sitting 8+ hours. After it is ridden just a bit, the thunk goes away.

Much thanks. I know I can count on you guys to diagnose this for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0175.jpg (68.5 KB, 5 views)
evesweater is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

-Using the kill switch is fine, but if you're parking it you're going to turn the key anyway.

-What kind of bike is it and how many miles? I doubt the brake sound is any big deal...I've noticed it on many bikes and cars. If you really want to find out what's going on, get the front wheel up and give it a spin. If the drag is serious you'll know. BTW: certain HDs are notorious for needing to have their caliper sliders cleaned and lubed, especially after break-in.

-Yes, that 1st gear thunk is fine; it's just all the slack in the drive train coming up as the gears begin to spin.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Perfect advice, Ken.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
evesweater
Registered Member

Default 07 Super-glide

It just hit 3,000 miles. Most of my rides are short; I've only had it from 800 miles on the odometer. I did take it to HD after 1k for the break-in maintenance. Thanks for the advice, Ken. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
-Using the kill switch is fine, but if you're parking it you're going to turn the key anyway.

-What kind of bike is it and how many miles? I doubt the brake sound is any big deal...I've noticed it on many bikes and cars. If you really want to find out what's going on, get the front wheel up and give it a spin. If the drag is serious you'll know. BTW: certain HDs are notorious for needing to have their caliper sliders cleaned and lubed, especially after break-in.

-Yes, that 1st gear thunk is fine; it's just all the slack in the drive train coming up as the gears begin to spin.
evesweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
12er
Founding Member

I never use the kill switch due to a few times feeling like a d0rk after I tried to start my bike for 5 minutes only to look over an see I flicked the kill switch when I shut it down. Though if you park in a questionable area always turn the kill switch to off. The D0rk factor may happen to the thief too, that is if its not 4 guys and a pickup stealing your bike... As for the thunk and drag Ken summed it up 100%.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Motorcycle Safety Foundation instruction recommends using the kill switch (engine cut-off switch) to cease engine operation, as well as using the key.

Having been trained in "the way", I always use the engine cut-off switch. If you make it a habit, you will always remember to check the engine cut-off switch before starting your motorcycle.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesweater View Post
It just hit 3,000 miles. Most of my rides are short; I've only had it from 800 miles on the odometer. I did take it to HD after 1k for the break-in maintenance. Thanks for the advice, Ken. I appreciate it.
The HD caliper design (not the new Brembos) is kind of cheesy. They only "push" from one side, and are suceptable to dirt on the sliders. There is an HD service bulliten that advises dealers to inspect the sliders on new bikes for excessive brake dust accumulation. They can cause the brake to bind and/or not engage fully. The fix is to pull the caliper, hose it down with Brakleen, and remove all the crud. Then put some light grease on the sliders and reinstall.