Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley updating V-Rod already (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/998-harley-updating-v-rod-already.html)

bigjames 01-09-2002 08:25 AM

Re: Harley updating V-Rod already

Yep, the guy sandwiched between my comments has good points, especially the one that states you don't have to buy it. However, down here in the Southeast, lots of dealers don't have Goldwings on the floor, sold them all. When one comes in now, supply and demand kicks in and up goes the price. However, I have to admit, I will pay a little more than list. My current Harley has 172,000 miles and a sidecar on it, don't think IT will wait 3 years for replacement (even though it isn't going anywhere that I don't take it, as in it still ain't for sale).

bigjames 01-09-2002 08:31 AM

Re: Here is even MORE facts.

After seeing the twin to my 88 Electra Glide Sport with a $13,500 price tag on it at the local Easyriders shop a few months ago, knowing it cost $8,500 new, yes, I called them theives and still have that opinion! They then had the audacity to offer me $8,500 for mine even with 172,000 miles on it, I then called them idiots! And no, it's still not for sale. Matter of fact, think I'll ride her (with sidecar attached and 80 miles one way) to work tomorrow and leave the Beemer (K1200LT) at home!

12er 01-09-2002 11:05 AM

to answer 7 and 8 for the money you get a hell of a lot more with BMW or a Goldwing. You'll get modern technology, better handling and brakes and probably more power. Along with possibly better reliabilty. The $17199 asked for my k12rs didnt sting as bad knowing that I have twice the horsepower of a harley, 10 times the handling, power antilock brakes, cruise control, heated handgrips, adjustable pegs, seat, bars and windscreen along with the Telelever front suspension. Gotta love that no fork dive... Most harleys are priced equally and all you get is chrome and the name.

mandrake_the_mollusk 01-11-2002 04:17 AM

Did you sell PT Cruisers at one time? (n/t)

?

luvmyvfr 01-11-2002 05:19 PM

I'm pretty sure he meant they cost a couple hundred bucks to the people who bought them back when they were brand-new.

luvmyvfr

NSU 01-13-2002 05:29 PM

If you are a true hard core Harley fan with a budget mind and want to serve your country..join the Military and get an over seas assignment..Germany Korea etc. You can order a Hog thru the PX and get "fleet Price" I got a 99 Ultra Classic Eglide(listed for 19,200) for 17,020 delivered to Illinois. You can get US delivered or overseas..pay the sales tax in the US or none overseas and pay about 1000 in shipping. Serve your country too..preserve our freedom to ride

itchface 01-14-2002 09:33 PM

"Harley has increased production something like 600% in the last decade (from around 50,000 units to well over 200,000)."

Um, Eric... you wouldn't happen to be the one who figured out that the V-Rods shifting feel has improved by 50%, would you? If so, applying my correction factor to your math, the feel has actually improved by only around 37%.

As for all the whiners complaining about dealer price gouging, I have a question for you all: if you bought a V-Rod at MSRP knowing that you could immediately resell it at a $9000 profit, would you do it? And if you would, aren't you just as much a gouger as the H-D dealer? I think you folks are just upset that the dealer is the one making the windfall instead of you.

ZRXRy 01-18-2002 10:07 AM

Whatever they might spend on adjusting valves (shim under bucket, no?), they'll more than make up for not fixing oil leaks. Take that as a shot at traditional Harleys if you like, but my impression has been that they are almost as bad as old Brit bikes for not keeping oil inside the engine, where it belongs. Of course, some people might not consider that a serious problem.

mike_root 01-22-2002 05:26 AM

My dad bought a one year old 1949 Hydraglide for $300. Of course that was in 1950.

Personally, the ONLY Harley I'd EVER own, V-Rod included, is a Sportster.

The air is gonna come out of Harley one day and probably sooner rather than later....

fishinaggie78 01-31-2002 03:19 AM

How about a hairdrier, a booger stash, an absorbent p-pad with optional tampon pouch and heated floorboards? My grandmother's ideal scooter! Do you even feel the wind while you're riding? Probably not - considering the NASA approved bubble helmet and totally encapsulated, neoprene-lined, breathable, warm-in-the-winter, cool-in-the-summer, armored, neon-reflective, environmentally-friendly riding suit! TOTALY AWESOME! You are one cool dude!