Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-08-2002, 05:36 AM   #21
pushkin_9
Founding Member

Default Harleys now 37% quainter!!!

Hmm...the new Vrod looks ok, but not as *****in as the Yamaha mean streak....and here the word *****in is truly appropriate.

Why do Yamahas make the best looking motorcycles...I'm sorry but they even kick the Italian designer's asses.
pushkin_9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2002, 11:02 AM   #22
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley updating V-Rod already

There are some people that have more money than they can spend in a lifetime. Such people are not necessarily suckers, to them, $25K is pocket change (just the yearly fee for their membership at an exclusive golf club). These people might pay what you and I consider an unjustified price for the machine strictly to obtain this exclusivity. An important point here is that one thing that these people may not be able to buy is the ability to ride well. Thus the best pose is to ride well.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:59 PM   #23
Droog
Founding Member

So, you're planning on being around in 100 years to sell your V-Rod for a tidy profit and go buck wild in Hawaii then? Early 20th century Harleys cost a couple hundred bucks. I can't see a V-Rod skyrocketing to half a million dollars.
Droog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 02:36 PM   #24
mondog1
Founding Member

Default quarter mile time????

Any word on what the 1/4 mile time is for the V-Rod? If you know i'd appreciate it if you could drop me a email at mondog1@aol.com

Thanks,

Robert
mondog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:04 PM   #25
Gobacho
Founding Member

Ditto, here. Would love to have one but at those prices I wouldn't consider it.
Gobacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:23 PM   #26
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Harleys now 37% quainter!!!

I thought it was the Kawasaki Mean Streak.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #27
runner00
Founding Member

I wouldn't pay anything over retail for any bike. I think you can get alot of the HD's at

retail now if you have a previous relationship with the dealer. I bought a Harley at retail

but that was in 87. I know of a few dealers advertising certain model for retail in the

northeast. You have to wait for the novelty to wear off on certain new models, especially

something like the vrod. Harley tried to sue the dealers gouging prices and (no contest)

so don't be mad at Harley. The power is actually in the consumers hands. Don't buy unless

it's retail and watch how things change.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:31 AM   #28
bigjames
Premium Member

First, get off of your high horses. here are a few facts:

1) Harley lists the MSRP on their web sight as a buyer beware item in direct response to the price gouging of some dealers! They have been doing that for quite a while now. If you pay too much, it is your own fault.

2) In the US, manufacturers/importers/suppliers are legally prohibited from setting the final price, see the article on Arai's attempt top control prices of their products (thank God I have a Shoei head). There is nothing legally Harley can do about it. When they tried they got their hands slapped by the FTC (many, many years ago, probably before most of you were even born).

3) The main reason Harley is around and Indian went away is because Harley realized early on, and I do mean EARLY on, that they sell bikes to dealer's not the 'ultimate' consumer, that would be you and me. That REALLY sucks, but that IS the way it IS.

4) Dummies who pay a lot over MSRP are the real cause of that crap. A buddy of mine went through it last year when he bought an Ultra Classic (that would be big ass full dresser to the uninformed). Was quoted anywhere from $2,000 over list (including prep and some minor goodies that are not included in MSRP) to $10,000 over list (for no apparent reason for a completely stock bike, set up and prep were going to be extra!). You can guess which one he bought. Shop around, there are Harley dealers out there who actually realize who THEIR customers are.

5) I am buying a new Harley, hopefully a non 100th anniversary edition 2003, late this year. Hopefully a VROD touring derivative that is not even being built or talked about yet! I will NOT be paying a lot over list. Have already had that conversation with my local Harley dealer, while proudly wearing a BMW shirt and reminding him that I've owned 6 BMWs (5 paid for with cash) since I bought my last Harley (with cash come to think about it). He knows I'll drop him like a hot potato and go somewhere else, because I can, you can too!

6) Yes, I still own that Harley....No, it is not for sale...for any price.

7) BMW's can cost even more than a roughly equivelant Harley's and no one ever really *****es about it. Must be because they post their INFLATED prices on their web sight already...

Anyone try to buy a new Gold Wing for list lately?
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:32 AM   #29
bigjames
Premium Member

well said!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:05 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Here is even MORE facts.

1)Many Harley dealers sell for over M.S.R.P. for good reason. See, lots of people were buying bikes up at the dealerships and turning em over for a tidy profit for a couple years,at least in the Chicago area. If I owned a dealership I would want that profit in MY pocket and not in a so-called motorcycle buyers. Just look at any want-ads for proof it's still happening.

2) You don't HAVE to buy the damn bikes no matter WHAT they cost. I waited 3 years to get mine at M.S.R.P. and not a penny more.

3) NO dealership that I knew ever sold the GoldWing at above M.S.R.P. There are 4 of them sitting at my local Honda shop now with special financing to boot.

4) If you had a product as hot as the Harleys are currently, I am sure you would ALL do the same thing. A 76 Superglide sold for 3500.00 new. Now go and tell that to the guy that is selling one in good shape. Tell him he is a big thief for wanting 10,000 for it.