Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley updating V-Rod already (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/998-harley-updating-v-rod-already.html)

Donster 01-07-2002 02:32 PM

Re: Dealer gouging..

are you sure the vasoline tax is only 6K?....it wouldn't surprise me if it was a little more.....only a sucker would that bike a such a ridiculous price.

dcnblues 01-07-2002 02:35 PM

30K? Shyahh, right.

If I had 30K free to spend on a bike, I'd drop 7 each for a pair of Mean Streaks, and spend the rest getting me and a riding companion over to Europe with the bikes for... say... a month or so... :) Too bad, Willie G, but those German and Italian tour badges on the jacket are a LOT better status symbols than the V-Rod will ever be....

Eric 01-07-2002 03:15 PM

Re: Harley updating V-Rod already

I was able to test ride a V-Rod at a local dealer recently. I was quite impressed. I posted my ride comments on an earlier board on V-Rod's showing up at dealers.

As for the "harley" tax. This is not unusual for any manufacturer with a popular new model. How much did RC51s go for when they were introduced? Air cooled Harleys are coming down. There are two dealerships within 2 hours of my house in VA that regularly have new models on the floor at MSRP. Harley has increased production something like 600% in the last decade (from around 50,000 units to well over 200,000). Harley gets nothing when a dealer gouges. The only beneficiary is the crappy dealer.

Nonetheless, we live in a market economy. Any product is worth whatever someone will pay for it. The goal of any company is to sell a product at a price that exceeds the cost of producing it (for example, profit margins on most SUVs are huge while margins on a honda civic, dodge neon, etc., are almost non-existent).

I would not pay 25K for a V-Rod with my current salary. If I made quite a bit more money, I might consider it. Motorcycle purchases are rarely about logic -- they are about what touches you. There are many more sensible things I could buy for the 10K I recently spent on a new motorcycle. But for me, I enjoy it.

You may not value a V-Rod enough to buy one at the current prices. That is fine; ride something else. But just because someone else chooses to ride one doesn't make them a sucker. If they have the financial means, more power to them. If someone tries to buy it and gets in over their head, he/she has made a bad financial mistake. But not a mistake unique to Harley owners by any means.

roadracedave 01-07-2002 03:19 PM

The H-D V-Rod is an instant collecter's item due to its significance and the limited number that will be produced during its first model year. No matter what the price, the bike should increase in value. How much is an early-20th century Harley going for these days? So why shouldn't an early-21st century bike do likewise?

Just wait and see what happens with the 100th Anniversary 2003-models!

sanchin 01-07-2002 03:53 PM

You hit the nail on the head with the 'market economy' statement. If demand is higher than supply, price goes up. If people are willing to pay what the dealer is asking, then that is their free choice. The last 3 bikes I've purchased have been Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki, but I've got nothing against HD(I wish I bought their stock 15 years ago). They just don't happen to make a bike that fits my needs. If they could somehow get that v-rod engine into a sub-500lb frame and keep the price reasonable I'd give it strong consideration.

scarecrow800 01-07-2002 05:15 PM

A collectors item, huh? Well, first of all I don't buy "collectors items", I buy motorcycles. Seriously though, the reason early Harleys or early comics or early baseball cards (etc.) are so valuable is because so few nice examples remain. Superman #1 is worth $50K these days but only a few dozen remain and only 1 or 2 are in mint condition. And then there were all of those Mickey Mantle cards that we put in our bicycle spokes! If all of these new "collectors items" are stashed away, it will be a long time before any of them are worth more than the $25K that people are paying for them now. It don't matter if it's a beanie baby, a cabbage patch doll or a Harley, it's only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it. Speaking of "what it's worth", now that Harley has something new, what are the old air cooled collectable Harleys, that no one wants now, "worth"?

DataDan 01-07-2002 05:59 PM

While I agree with whoever moderated this post down to Dipstick level, I also sympathize with the poster's sentiment: Who cares?

The V-Rod is a world-class motor wrapped in a chassis that amounts to functionally impaired eye candy. As sculpture, it's a handsome piece, but weight distribution is wrong, front-end geometry is wrong, the limited suspension travel is wrong, and seating position is abysmal.

To attract a fresh market of serious riders, I suggest a motorcycle more along the functional specification of the ZRX-1200: a big, bad, standard made to do more than to be, unafraid of twisty roads and fully up to the rigors of a 400-mile day. Done the Harley way, with uniquely American styling, impeccable details, and that jewel-like 60-degree twin providing the thrust, even this die-hard Honda sportbike guy would be tempted to switch.

grover750 01-07-2002 06:22 PM

If people who pay 25k for a VROD aren't suckers, we might as well retire the word. If they're not suckers, suckers don't exist.

grover750

Dryfly 01-08-2002 04:34 AM

It proves there are a lot of idiots out there. How else would someone as big a loser as Bill Clinton ever get elected!?

longride 01-08-2002 04:56 AM

now that Harley has something new, what are the old air cooled collectable Harleys, that no one wants now, "worth"?

They are down to about 10 times the price of a "desireable" Japanese revolutionary wonder.