Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-21-2001, 10:42 AM   #1
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson is Company of the Year

First off, congrats to HD. I agree that they are a money machine, and that's what companies are in existance to do, make money. The definetly do "translate the passion into profit".

Techological advancement? Maybe for them, but not for motorcycling. As soon as their engineering skills catch up to their marketing skills, I'll consider one, if I don't have to wear the costume.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2001, 11:11 AM   #2
desertbilly
Founding Member

Good for them. They certainly have a lot of happy customers (and shareholders).

I seem to remember Malcolm being quite a Harley fan.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
jchin1979
Founding Member

HD might be the company of the year, because undoubtedly they are an awesome money making machine, but they certaintly are not the MOTORCYCLE company of any year. They're bikes sell on image and image alone. Image is an important aspect of motorcycling, but they are severly lacking in all other departments as a MOTORCYCLE company. ie. technology, engineering, innovation, reliability, pricing, racing, competitive products. Now I will accept the flaming of all HD fans who are probably just drooling to take a bite out of this one, but can anyone argue that HD is better or even on-par with the Honda's, Aprilia's, and Suzuki's or this world? HD is the American equivalent of Triumph, should of went out of business (and stayed out of business) a long time ago.
jchin1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:48 PM   #4
christianl
Founding Member

see,the great thing about freedom is you can ride any bike you want.cant you just take the article in context?they are talking about american business and although im a kawasaki guy i admire the motor company for finding a niche and remaining true to it
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:14 PM   #5
Grover
Founding Member

Having been involved in the engineering of H-D, I can say that although they may be "lacking" in certain areas, other areas are their specialties. If what you are looking for is a top notch fit & finish bike, H-D is where to get it. I'm not talking about reliability, I'm talking about look. H-D's are like jewelry, and although it's not appreciated, the paint, chrome, and overall finish of a Harley is better than any other bike in the world, and if that's what you're concerned about (and there's plenty of people who are) then Harley-Davidson is the best motorcycle company in the world.

Personally, I'm about going fast, but I've come to appreciate the attention to detail that Harley puts into it's bikes, and it is that attention to detail that has made it so successful.

Do I think Harley's are the best motorcycles in the world? No, my chips are on Ducati, but I fully understand those who believe that Harley's, more than anything else, speak to the spirit and of motorcycling.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:14 PM   #6
Grover
Founding Member

Having been involved in the engineering of H-D, I can say that although they may be "lacking" in certain areas, other areas are their specialties. If what you are looking for is a top notch fit & finish bike, H-D is where to get it. I'm not talking about reliability, I'm talking about look. H-D's are like jewelry, and although it's not appreciated, the paint, chrome, and overall finish of a Harley is better than any other bike in the world, and if that's what you're concerned about (and there's plenty of people who are) then Harley-Davidson is the best motorcycle company in the world.

Personally, I'm about going fast, but I've come to appreciate the attention to detail that Harley puts into its bikes, and it is that attention to detail that has made it so successful.

Do I think Harley's are the best motorcycles in the world? No, my chips are on Ducati, but I fully understand those who believe that Harley's, more than anything else, speak to the spirit and of motorcycling.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:14 PM   #7
Grover
Founding Member

Personally, I'm about going fast, but I've come to appreciate the attention to detail that Harley puts into its bikes, and it is that attention to detail that has made it so successful.

Do I think Harley's are the best motorcycles in the world? No, my chips are on Ducati, but I fully understand those who believe that Harley's, more than anything else, speak to the spirit and ideals of motorcycling.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:49 PM   #8
jim111
Founding Member

With the new EVO, Harley is finally looking forward. Up till now, they've been all about looking back and keeping the tradition. It will be interesting if they can do both. If the Evo sales are strong, we will probably see more modern Harleys.
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:54 PM   #9
caderider
Registered Member

3rd time's a charm, eh? LOL

B
Old 12-21-2001, 08:14 PM   #10
super7
Founding Member

You gotta get a grip. You don't understand the whole thing about bikes period, is having fun. You can ride the latest sportbike and get shot down tomorrow by the next one. You can ride the latest Japanese cruiser and dazzle people with the latest tech. But have ya realized the people out there on the Harley's are just havin fun pretenders or not. That's what ridden is all about. Not technology, or cruiser, sportbike, or whatever. if your havin fun it's worth the whole thing. If your lookin for the something you don't have from the latest cycle mag review that makes you more better than the next guy on any bike, think about it. And just have fun fer Crissakes. EVERYBODY, ITS ALL ABOUT FUN.
super7 is offline   Reply With Quote