Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-28-2001, 03:51 AM   #81
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson is Company of the Year

You're correct. While Kaw and Suzuki have been having their problems, Honda and Yamaha have had profitable motorcycle sales all along due in large part to bread-&-butter sales of small motorcycles in Asian/3rd world countries where they are the main form of transportation. (FWIW some of those countries get bikes that would make current Harleys look like technology showcases, such as the venerable Honda Cub --you sell whatever it is the local yokels want and the Japanese are just as guilty as H-D or more accurately, just as market-savvy on the turf they know best).
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2001, 07:26 AM   #82
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: This is opinionated BS

> Some people think HD's have good tech, engineering, innovation, reliability, pricing, racing and competitive products.

Perhaps, but attaching "good racing" and "good innovation" to Harley-Davidson is a bit of a stretch. Why not just say that HDs deliver a "fun factor" (for you) that no other bike does? That's all that matters in the end, right?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 07:36 AM   #83
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Maybe the Bonnie and the Sportster have stirred more emotions _in you_ than any Japanese motorcycle ever, but remember that beauty or "emotion" is in the eye of the beholder, not within the motorcycle design itself. I know plenty of people--myself included--who can get rubber-kneed over the sexiness of certain Japanese motorcycles. I have to consciously avoid drooling when I stop riding my SV long enough to stare at it. But I also have friends who think the Sportster 1200 is the sexiest thing ever. I even once met a guy who swore that MZ supermotards were the sexiest bikes ever built. Eye of the beholder.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:51 AM   #84
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The biggest difference between you and I is I RODE the bikes you TALK about. You talk as if you know what those bikes were about, and you were in diapers when they were made. Again, since there is no frame of reference, then you probably would be rubber-kneed with your disposable machine. Right up until the next one comes along, and ole rubber-knee machine flies in the trashcan. Like I said, I have NO QUARREL with any bike you like or ANY Japanese machine. Please refrain from telling me about what a Bonnie or a Sporty was about though. The Japanese never made such machines and never will. Like comparing a 57 Chevy to an Acura. One is legendary and one will never be.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:38 PM   #85
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Cool, we jive now!

You got yourself a deal my good man.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 07:58 AM   #86
tviele1
Founding Member

technological skills? marketing skills? takin a good long look at a harley lately. dont let the old pushrod design engine fool you. it is full of good hardy quality engineering. now take a look at the quality of the components that make the machine. the lack of chinsy plastics and cover-ups to try to make things "look" better. the reason the japanese havent conquered the market on cruisers is they just havent found the "magic" that makes a harley special. it isnt just marketing my friend. it goes way deeper than that. ride one for real and feel what we feel. i rode cutting edge japanese bikes for years and they never gave me the feel my harley gives me. gotta be some kind of technology involved there. marketing? selling a high quality piece of machinery with an excellent resale value as opposed to ???
tviele1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 08:10 AM   #87
tviele1
Founding Member

being gouged? cmon! there are plenty of "affordable" bikes out there, new or used. hell of a comparison though. how about putting 5 $20,000 diamonds next to a 100,000 house. people buy them. it isnt about price. its about what an individual is willing to spend for their enjoyment. the only place you are getting gouged is in your thinking. and by the way...it is there. ride one and feel what we feel. open your mind first, it'll help. a shrink might think youre angry because you want what you cant afford from your statements. by the way...the loyal following isnt from weakness. its from the strength we have as a group. call it what you might. until youve experienced it you just wont understand. by the way...i still enjoy riding an occasional "other" brand and have owned my share in the past. they just dont have it though. if i have to explain.....
tviele1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 08:34 AM   #88
starvingstudent
Founding Member

> Why are they called Harleys any way? Why not Davidsons?

For the same reason that you ride a "Duck" not a "Cati" or a "Gixxer" not a "Gisixxer"...nicknames are arbitrary, but they stick.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:59 AM   #89
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I'm telling you a simple fact that every motorcycle manufactured is a mechanical mechanism. Emotion can ONLY exist in living things. Motorcycles do not HAVE emotion, they EVOKE emotion in individuals. This is fact. It has nothing to do with my age.

Since you seem more eager to talk about ME then talk about MOTORCYCLES, this conversation is going nowhere. Please refrain from telling me what _I_ am about. You are hardly an expert on the matter.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:41 AM   #90
canucksvt
Founding Member

Personally, I grew up in a family of bikers, who considered everything else besides H-D as crap. I never understood that train of thought as all I ever saw my father, brothers, uncles and the rest of their fellow H-D riders was wrench on their bikes. I even owned a 1983 XR-1000 for awhile. I have given up on H-D and for the price of a new Evo engined bike (Not to mention the lube job you would need for a VROD!) I bought a new Moto Guzzi California 1100 and a used 1996 Ducati 900SP. I even had enough to buy a new helmet and riding jacket and still have a few $$$ in my pocket. Kudo's to H-D for being company of the year, but they will not get a dime from me. There are too many other choices out there that are "better" in my eyes. To each his own though, just go out and ride safe!
canucksvt is offline   Reply With Quote