Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-03-2001, 07:39 AM   #61
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: That

UJMs are everywhere if you just open your eyes. Maybe not at the local "biker bar" on a Saturday night, but you'll find them in large numbers on Monday morning commutes, on a twisty mountain road, etc.

If UJMs are so much less reliable than Harleys, then why do London motorcycle couriers (who care more about reliability and low-maintainence engines with long-term reliability than any other factor) all ride CX500s, Nighthawk 700Ses, etc? Maybe because they never break down? A 1980 CX500 will still start on the first tap unless you've been storing it in a bath of salt water.

Your non-understanding of economics and politics is frankly shocking. Every nation, including the USA, would collapse if it weren't for international trade.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2001, 07:42 AM   #62
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rods at dealers this week

Quote: "I never understood how a bike straight from the factory could be a true custom."

I never understood how so many oriental bikes in their first year of production could have the word "Classic" in their name (unless you consider that they skipped the R&D phase of manufacturing and simply stole the design directly from a company who actually does manufacture a classic).
Todd8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:43 AM   #63
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Are you really that stupid or are you just goading us?

Todd, you need to move out of your bomb shelter, and up into the light.

Sure, the salvage yards are full of Japanese motorcycles. That's what people buy. And because they are priced at what they are actually worth, they are regarded as disposable. They are cheaper to throw away than repair as they reach the end of their life cycles. If Harleys were similarly inexpensive and mass-produced in the 70's and 80's, they would pack salvage yards to a similar degree.

I mean come on- even the most die-hard Harley guy would not defend the awful junk the AMF-owned H-D produced in the 70's and early 80's. If that stuff isn't packing salvage yards, it's because the bikes are probably in pieces in a hundred thousand basements, attics and storage sheds, waiting for their owners to get around to fixing them. Maybe you don't see them in salvage yards (and I'll bet there are a few), but you surely don't see a lot of them on the road, except for a few days a year. All the Harleys I see riding around (never in the rain, never when it's cold) look brand new, as do the riders.

I am also mystified as to why I should be loyal to a corporation just because it was formed in the US. What percentage of HD stock is held by US citizens? What percentage of HD's suppliers are also US companies? There's lots I could ask about what that means to "give it their full support", but you get the picture. I do plenty to support my country, but I will draw the line at buying a wierd, low-functioning parade float for a massive premium.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:51 AM   #64
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Re: That

I must assume that UJM stands for "Unreliable Japanese Motorcycle". Asian bikes are used in the cases you mentioned for one reason only: they are cheap and desposable, period.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:09 AM   #65
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Are you really oriental?

Move into the light of all-foreign products, Asian Boy? No thanks, I'm an American who enjoys riding the world's finest motorcycles. You've been writing and reading your anti-American propaganda for so long, you are starting to believe it.

Jap bikes are regarded as desposable simply because they are. Period. Cheap Jap junk.

I personally own a 1972 FLH with over 160,000 miles on it, and it is as reliable as any bike you can name. Not once has it ever left me stranded. When you put that kind of mileage on your plastic oriental toy, then we'll compare notes, junior.

You ask about the origin of Harley parts and its stockholders. The vast majority of both are American, unlike you. They would still be 100% American if those who support Japan over their own country hadn't made it more profitable to buy from those with less overhead and cheaper labor.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:18 AM   #66
Todd8080
Founding Member

Quote: "I'll bet they don't even care that their V-rod was beaten by a Kawasaki in the latest MO powercruiser shootout."

Well, gee, I wonder if that could have anything to do with the fact that this site is operated by Asian bike lovers? Harley-Davidson is mentioned on an average of once a month at this site. Think I'm wrong? Search it yourself. Now search Jap bikes. Case closed.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:26 AM   #67
alexofc69
Founding Member

Default Re: I

Who ever said it was a German designed engine? Thats a VR1000 Engine, which is 100% americasn designed. Porsche only help them refine the lump for a street cruiser. Porsche has helped HD many times in the past.
alexofc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 08:32 AM   #68
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Re: Depreciation isn

And how many miles does that Honda have on it? The only 1974 Harleys that AREN'T still in use are ones that were wrecked beyond repair or ones that were chopped out of existence.

My '93 Fat Boy has over 86,000 miles on it and it will double any speed limit in this country. It is rock-solid reliable and draws admiring comments wherever it's parked. Women are drawn to it like a magnet. It's very smooth and comfortable even on long rides and is worth more today than it was new. I don't know of any oriental bikes you can say that about. About as close as you can come is "it's fast" or "it looks like a Harley".
Old 12-03-2001, 08:56 AM   #69
Todd8080
Founding Member

You hit it on the head, Longride. And you notice no one replied to your post except me. Yes, they're all jealous because they'll never be able to afford a Harley so they must stamp their little footsies and scream loudly that they own the superior bike even though they've never even been on a Harley.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:09 AM   #70
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Depreciation isn

You have a FatBoy that can go 150mph? Or even 130? HAHAHAHAHAHA... thanks. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote