Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-03-2001, 04:28 AM   #51
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rods at dealers this week

Bravo!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2001, 04:42 AM   #52
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rods at dealers this week

ALWAYS is a bit strong. The entire engine architecture has more to do with maximum engine RPM than "bore". Piston speed is of course determined by stroke, and breathing efficiency is determined by the intake tract, valve layout/actuation and exhaust system. So to say that "Big Bores" always rev lower than small bores, would of course be a little bit wide of the mark.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:06 AM   #53
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Agreement #1

Given the personal, leisure oriented nature of a motorcycle purchase, depreciation is one of the most moronic things a Harley nut can bring up. Depreciation is one of the last things most M/C enthusiasts consider when buying a bike. Maybe posers with 6-figure salaries will think of their purchase as an addition to their portfolio, but not me. The elevated price the bike will sell at is only evidence of the large number of morons that exist in the world, not any superior design, engineering or manufacturing on Harley's part. My portfolio will probably outperform the poser's, too.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:11 AM   #54
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Only in your wildest dreams

If you think that a poorly engineered peice of crap that resembles agrcultural equipment will outlast the modern Japanese sportbike, you have been smokin' too many of those tweeds again. Then again since a lot of Harley riders don't actually ride, maybe their bikes WILL stay out of the shop.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 06:45 AM   #55
ttcaml
Founding Member

Default Re: Depreciation isn

I have a 1974 Honda CL 360 that has had the living crap beaten out of it. It still starts on the first or second kick, runs great, and does not take any oil.

The point is that Japenese bikes do not wear out like you say they do. I do not hate HD, and would by one if I had the $$ and a sportbike. I just can not see myself having a HD as an only bike, they are too slow, even the V-ROD (which looks really cool in person minus the belt cover, which may look better cromed).

And just so you know, I am not a Squid. I have ridden 15,000 miles this year, including 2 track days and a trip to the superbike race at Road America. All on my 600 sportbike.
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 06:59 AM   #56
ttcaml
Founding Member

Default Big hevy Buell

I'm afraid that the V-Rod motor would make the XB9R to heavy, and to long. The XB9R has enough power now, putting in the V-Rod motor would hurt the handling so much we would just have another bike with too much motor for its frame. Kind of like the V-Max, but not as bad.
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:12 AM   #57
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Re: That

If oriental bikes are so much sturdier and more reliable than Harleys, where are all the Kawondamazukis from twenty years ago? Hint: look up "motorcycle salvage" in the phone book. And while you're there, try to find one single Harley of any year in any junkyard anywhere on earth. You won't. Almost all of the Harleys from that same period (and much, much earlier) are still in use.

And yes, people from Europe should buy motorcycles made in their country, just as Japanese should buy Japanese motorcycles and Americans should buy American motorcycles, unless they wish to support a country other than their own, in which case they should move to that country to give it their full support.
Todd8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:17 AM   #58
Todd8080
Founding Member

You have obviously never owned a Harley. If you had, not only would you not make such false claims about them, you would still be riding one, as everyone else who buys one does. People move up to a Harley, not down.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:20 AM   #59
Todd8080
Founding Member

By the way, who is Sonny Berger? Is that some new fast food chain?
Old 12-03-2001, 07:36 AM   #60
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Re: That

Quote: "To expand on the "to be American, you have to buy American"; what if everyone in every nation wanted to have that sense of national pride."

Everyone in every nation SHOULD have that sense of national pride. I'm just ashamed that America has some (like you) that don't.

Quote: "There'd be no global trade. Since global trade makes up such a HUGE part of everyone's economy, I think that limiting yourself to the products that your country produces would be shooting yourself in the foot."

No, there will always be foreign trade. However, the more America imports, the weaker we become; the more we export, the stronger we become. Every dollar you send to Japan makes America that much weaker. Power is money, period.

Quote: "How far would everyone get if we were all like 'To be a Washingtonian, you have to buy products made in the State of Washington'."

I go out of my way to deal with local merchants first, as opposed to some corporate chain. If everyone supported their hometown first, things would be fine indeed.

Anyone can stick an American flag on their bike, all that shows is that you wish to be perceived as supporting America. If that flag is stuck on a foreign bike, it's plainly evident to all who you really support.