Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-30-2001, 01:00 PM   #11
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rods at dealers this week

Have you seen the new issue of Cycle World? Their is a special article on several custom VMax... WOW!

Philip

'00 ZR-7
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2001, 01:16 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member

I thought it was more like 7 years...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:53 PM   #13
vmxxx
Founding Member

Exactly! I'll bet that after it's all done with, none of those guys spent $25k on thier respective bikes. I am halfway there and I am in for about $10k. This includes the bike, usd forks & triples, NOS, custom 17in wheels and radial rubber, misc. body parts, exaust, tuning,and paint. As well as a wealth of other mods that will make it a show piece. One cany even buy a decent H/D w/o spending $10k just for a bare bones ride. Sorry I aint buyin' it.

vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 02:04 PM   #14
Buffalo
Registered Member

What you say may be true, but what is the resale value on your bike say 20 years after it was made? The average retail listed by the AMA and NADA books listed my 1984 Softail at $500 ABOVE what I paid for it in 1984.
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 02:11 PM   #15
vmxxx
Founding Member

oh yeah while I'm at it, how much effort went into copying the MAX? They couldn't even give the thing an original name..."VROD"...hmmm...how creative. Hey Willie G, I've had numerous H/D riders ask me if in fact my silver MAX was the "new" Vrod, How's it feel to know that a bike who's design is 16 years old is mistaken for your latest greatest acheivement. This is despite the big 2"x6" Yamaha logo on the scoops. Don't rely on an educated consumer base do ya? That explaines a lot.
Old 11-30-2001, 02:21 PM   #16
vmxxx
Founding Member

There are a whole lot of '85 Maxxes out there selling for around what was paid in '85. I'll conceed that the resale is contingent on modifications. A bone stock 85 v-max is worth about 5k if it's in good condition. I bought mine in 99, it was 2 yrs old with 5k mi. on it. I payed $7200. If I had done nothing to it I could sell today for about the same. It is heavily modified now so this is moot. 12k and it's yours. Dealer wants $10,500 for an '01. That is it in a nutshell, for less than $10,000, one can buy, ride, customise, and own one of the baddest bikes out there, why spend more for less? Unless you're into throwing money away. Throw some my way so I can finish my....hmmmm.....need a name......ok....VMAXROD....sounds original huh?
Old 11-30-2001, 02:33 PM   #17
drandall
Founding Member

That's gonna change real soon, as Harley's prodution has finally met demand. Harley prices are going to fall to "list" VERY soon.

drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 02:46 PM   #18
drandall
Founding Member

Default Re: Better than expected

I've heard between $22K and $30K. Anyone who pays over list is insane; I'd love to own a road-glide at list or less, but giving a dealer MORE for the "priviledge" of owning a Harley is just beyond me.

There'd be no gouging if people weren't stupid enough to be gouged.

I've owned and loved two Buells, but I'd hot-rod a VMax anyday before paying the gouge price for a VRod.
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 03:49 PM   #19
Katoom
Founding Member

I saw one, Tuesday have a dealer up the street from work.

I was leaving about noon and the mechanic was fueling it up at the gas station. looked pretty neat actually even though I am not a cruiser rider.

Katoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 05:04 PM   #20
stormcloud
Founding Member

Each to their own I think. It's all subjective...

However, I do wonder that if it had any other name on the tank, in the same spec and at the same price, whether it would appeal as much?? As a bike, including all style and 'feel good' stuff, could it compete if it didn't come from Milwaukee?

What do others think?
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote