Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-11-2001, 01:25 PM   #1
goddamoldladies
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson earnings still rising

harleys suck....first post
goddamoldladies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2001, 01:31 PM   #2
goddamoldladies
Founding Member

now that i have read the article....i don't believe in the idea that a strong dollar prevents european sales..harleys just are not popular .we have too many corners and wet roads for the chrome brigade..maybe the new vrod might do well though

ignore the 1st post and just get out and ride a motorcycle no matter what it is
goddamoldladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:45 PM   #3
aminalmutha
Founding Member

So is Harley's continuing growth an indicator that it might challenge Microsoft in it's ever growing infiltration of our daily lives? I assume HD's full name is the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company, or something like that. Harley-Davidson, Inc. officially. Of course, I've heard many people refer to them as "the Motor Company" (whatever), but now it's just "the Company"? They planning some kind of global takeover or what? Yikes.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:59 PM   #4
NHBandit69
Founding Member

Default If they REALLY want to see profits soar...

...they would try to get a hand on their dealers to sell machines at or closer to MSRP, and then watch them fly out the door.
NHBandit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 02:49 PM   #5
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: If they REALLY want to see profits soar...

They already do, dealers that are found to sell bikes above MSRP are scolded and sent to bed without any dinner.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 07:45 PM   #6
heart-of-sword
Founding Member

maybe we should called them "The Company Formerly Known As Harley" TCFKAH
heart-of-sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 08:53 PM   #7
superbikefan
Founding Member

Yeah, but the licensing's getting ridiculous! Example: the just recently announced stainless and black POOL TABLE for a mere $6,500! And of course the Ford pickup truck. Who buys this stuff just because of the name/logos and why? Is everything they make a "limited edition numbered collectible" till the next product comes down the line?

Rational minds want to understand...
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 05:03 AM   #8
Spinetingler
Founding Member

All I read is posts that are envious that H-D's success. Can we just drop this old argument and agree that HD is successful, they are still selling strong, and that they not only benefit HD, but the entire motorcycle community. All the other comments make the writers appear like whiney losers. No one complains about the prices BMW charges for their motorcycles. Now, they've come out with a bike to address the Japanese / European crowd, and you're still not happy.

Anyway, the true 'staying power' of Harley will be the end of next quarter. It's too soon after teh tradgedy of 9/11 to truly measure the effect on sales.

In any event, 12% increase in stock price isn't bad for one day, is it?

Spinetingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 06:45 AM   #9
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Their share price performance is unmatched in the biz

I'll give the Motor Company a lot of respect for its heroic comeback from near oblivion. These folks cultivated their market with great success.

I love my Harley; I customized it radically myself. It's an art bike and it lives out at the county airport in my hangar.

My everyday ride is a Honda XX though, and I'm drastically altering a BMW R100.

Harley stock is going up while the rest of stocks decline in price. They were a better buy the day before yesterday but they are still a good buy, if you are looking for a positive return on equities.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 07:00 AM   #10
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Who buys it?

All the people I see in Screaming Eagle black tee-shirts--the ones where you ask them "so, what do you ride?" And they say "Ride? No, I don't actually have a motorcycle."
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote