Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-12-2001, 02:02 PM   #31
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson earnings still rising

I'm with you, mister John! Whilst I appear to have gotten into a bit of a tif with a fellow poster above, I do like the old bikes. The new hogs to me are for posers (I'm far from a poser with an 86 gsxr... prob ugliest sport bike ever made) but man, the old shovel heads just turn my crank. Saw an old guy kick starting (what I think was) a 74 cube. Now that's cool... albeit appearing rather painful!

Wow, to have one of those bikes (pre 60's) would be great (maybe I am a poser at heart!)

Loud pipes, sprung seat, whitewall tyres

Ok, I'm dreaming... back to fixin the xl500... sigh.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2001, 03:17 PM   #32
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Their share price performance is unmatched in the biz

you're right that in their best economic times Japan has sometimes actually registered a higher *overall* material standard of living than the US. So have several European countries. HOWEVER those countries do not have a significant underclass of poor people who tend to stay that way no matter how good things get. They drag the standard down. I don't want to start a controversy about whose fault it is, but we do have that. When you back out those people and compare middle-classes and then figure in the incredible degree of freedom (who knows how much longer it'll last) that no other country can touch (Japan is a police state by comparison) there is no standard of living anywhere like it in the world.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 04:13 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Their share price performance is unmatched in the biz

The only "nerve" hit is when people talk at length about things they know "nothing" about. That would be you and what happened in the 80's for example, as just proved again by the above post. Well, since I am 40+ and have a ZX9R and also have owned a TL1000s and soon to buying a ZX12, tell me again what "they" ride. I'll bet more 40+ own GSXR 600's than 20 year olds. Again, simple minds have simple fallicies. The whole subject is so far over your head it isn't worth even trying to straighten out. I really would remove the "wool" from my eyes but somehow living and riding and keeping up with what actually happened during those times somehow makes me infinitely more qualified to talk about it than you. Since I can tell you are young and talking out your rear, I guess that has to be taken into account. If you ARE older I would hate to see how badly you can skew other "events" to fit your own biases. You need to talk to a Vietnam vet too and tell him what the war was REALLY like. Ride it if ya have it.
Old 10-13-2001, 06:40 AM   #34
jackbird
Founding Member

Default My little red Z3 roadster is quick, for a nostalgia item

Dang! Here I thought this was a nice modern sports car with a super engine and a great suspension.

jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:05 PM   #35
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: If they REALLY want to see profits soar...

Any amounts a dealer gets over MSRP goes to the dealer, not Harley-Davidson. Harley wishes they had more control over their dealers.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:08 PM   #36
tbuse
Founding Member

Sorta like people who buy race replica helmets, leathers or bikes? Now you can look like Nicky Hayden though you've never been close to a track in your life. Kinda like that?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 02:56 AM   #37
macka
Founding Member

well as they say,"if i have to explain you would not understand anyway". The only reason why your bike exist is because there is a bike called harley-davidson. Yes i ridden a intruder, and would i trade my bike for five of yours, nope!!. Mostly because of the weak design but also because the engine is terrible. But i´m glad someone are happy with a bike like yours. But not me, no way and never.

Have a nice ride!!

/fatboy 100 hp at rear weel and soon v-rod
macka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 05:43 AM   #38
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: My little red Z3 roadster is quick, for a nostalgia item

He's talking about the styling and the fact open roadsters are pretty useless cars except for the fun they provide and/or the status symbol effect of showing people you can spend big bucks on a car with no back seat and practically no trunk.

Actually the Z3 is very modern under the skin except that the rear suspension is E30-based (80's vintage) due to space limitations. His comparison to motorcycles whose mechanical design is still largely based on what was state-of-the-art in the 1950's is a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with buying 1950's technology as long as it makes you happy and satisfies the particular kind of longing you have for an open road experience. That's what every motorcycle does in it's own unique way regardless whether it's a cruiser, sportbike, tourer, standard or whatever. IF federal regs would allow Chevy to build an exact duplicate of the '57 BelAir, except for some desirable modern features like disc brakes, improved suspension, electronic ignition etc. a LOT of people would love to buy one. But they can't. So that's what H-D builds but only people willing to ride a motorcycle get to satisfy their longing for a cruise back to the 50's. That's fine with me --more people should ride even though a Harley is not what I choose to ride these days.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 07:18 AM   #39
jackbird
Founding Member

Default How many other company logos are common tattoos?

If there are any enthusiasts with a tattoo from Another Motor Company (maybe, a bow tie?) on their body, especially another motorcycle company, please reply.
Old 10-16-2001, 07:36 AM   #40
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Going up Frisco hills sets off car alarms. I like that.

A loud bike is a safer bike than the same but quieter bike. There's a bullet proof rationalization for all the laws I broke by mounting non-mufflers.

It sounds like the Keystone Kops after me in San Francisco. There's a part of me that finds that hilarious.