Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 09-18-2001, 02:36 PM   #1
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson to donate 30 police motorcycles

FIRST POST!

Congrats to Harley for this donation!

Brian

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2001, 04:13 PM   #2
GregP
Founding Member

Thanks H-D !!! Now it's everybody elses turn to follow suite.. I have no doubts about riders, we'll ride to raise funds for any good cause. How about Honda, Kawazuki, Yamaha, and the rest?
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 04:13 PM   #3
mj
Founding Member

This is just another example of what we already know. Harley Davidson is a great American company and one class act.
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 04:52 PM   #4
Eric
Founding Member

I am glad Harley has made this move. Harley gives a great deal of money to various charities and organizations (WWII memorial, MDA telethon, etc.). BMW has also donated a significant number of motorcycles (100 -- I guess they can draw on significantly larger resources than Harley), sport-utes (the X5) and money to New York and the Red Cross in the wake of this horrible act of terror. I hope other large corporations also are involved.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 05:31 PM   #5
starvingstudent
Founding Member

"I hope other large corporations also are involved."

I can't comment specifically on the big Japanese four, but the list of corporate donors on the American Red Cross page is huge. I can't imagine a major company not donating. [As a non-motorcycle-company sidenote: when I worked for Target (discount store chain), I remember the statistic that corporate HQ of that company donates $1 million PER WEEK to charity, and I'm sure that they've donated millions to the relief effort so far.]

I hope that the Japanese Big Four will donate, but I also hope that HD will donate to the Japanese relief workers the next time an earthquake devastates a Japanese city (last major one a few years ago left something like 50,000-100,000 homeless). When lives are on the ilne, we should remember that national borders are just lines on a map and we're all just human in the end.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 05:39 PM   #6
Eric
Founding Member

I am sure that others are involved. I admit to not looking it up on the Red Cross web site. I wasn't even referring to the Japanese motorcycle companies -- I was actually wondering what the Big 3 (sorry Big 2 +Daimler Chrysler) automakers were doing. Why turn it into a competition? By the way, Harley does donate to global causes, just as many other large corporations do. And if you only knew how badly you are preaching to the wrong damn person about lines on the map...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 06:52 PM   #7
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I'm not "preaching" to anybody, and CERTAINLY not accusing anybody of not caring. If there's one thing I know, its that every single person on this site cares about the tragedy in New York. And that's wonderful.

I was merely expressing a sentiment, and a positive one at that. I have no idea whether Harley donates to disasters overseas, but I hope they do/would. Not because this is a contest or anything shallow like that, but becuase any big company donating money and material does a lot of good and saves a lot of lives. The more aid the better, regardless of where it comes from.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 07:09 AM   #8
ClubRacer
Founding Member

Default way to go guys

The terrorists are sure to get away now. They better have included the million dollars for the spare fast bikes able to actually catch some thing.
ClubRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 07:09 AM   #9
ClubRacer
Founding Member

class of what?
Old 09-19-2001, 07:13 AM   #10
ClubRacer
Founding Member

Are you talking about BMW as a whole or just motorcycles? Their motorcycle division is much smaller then the almighty POC. I mean HD.