Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
tufty68
Registered Member

Default Amazing motorcycle art

Hello all,

I am a Harley lover, BIG TIME! I am also a fine artist, working mostly in graphite (pencil) which is a perfect medium for drawing motorcycles and anything chrome or metallic.

About 2 years ago, I began work on a life size drawing of a chopper. I just finished it a couple of weeks ago and IT IS AMAZING!

I am known for my skill in super-realism and mastery of graphite (pencil), and I am not disappointed in the creation of this work. I have won national honors in competition for other works, and expect this drawing to do exceptionally well.

"American Metal" is a large piece, approximately 19 x 24 unframed, and is drawn very near to scale.

The original is currently competing nationally, and will compete locally in the Metro Atlanta area through the Summer and Fall.

"American Metal" earned "First Place" from a panel of jurors, and "People's Choice Award" out of 90 entries in it's first open competition in April.

I am currently selling a giclée print of the original on eBay. The item number is 170216133697 if you would like to see it. The small image just doesn't do it justice.

Giclées are the finest art reproductions available, and are printed on fine art archival paper.

I would love feedback from anyone, and especially any suggestions on marketing prints of this piece. I would like to put an ad in a motorcycle magazine but not sure which one to go with.

The original will likely never be sold. I spent way too much time on it to make what it is worth to me. But I suppose everything has price, so who knows?

Thanks all,

Shannon Davidson
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg American Metal.jpg (141.2 KB, 17 views)
tufty68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Very nice!

What else have you done?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
tufty68
Registered Member

Default artwork

Thank you very much!

Most of my artwork has been commissioned, a lot of portrait work or special projects. I only really started competing in 2006.

I do work in other mediums like oil and acrylic, and some color pencil, but I love graphite.

Some of my recent projects include:

A winning entry in a statewide competition for a new license plate design for Georgia (Honorable Mention)

A "Best In Show" in December for a graphite drawing at a local show judged by two very well known artists and critics

A request to present one of my paintings to the Georgia Aquarium for a project they were considering (Penguin picture below)

Placed third out of a field of more than 1500 entries in a national competition for my graphite painting "Eyes are the Windows" (below)

Currently I am putting together a portfolio to present to some galleries here in Atlanta. The motorcycle drawing took so long to do that all my other artwork had been put off.

But I really enjoyed the chrome work, so decided to use that as the theme for this portfolio. All my subjects for the portfolio are reflections in chrome, and will have the flag somehow worked into the subject.

My goal is to see how far I can push graphite. The Owl painting is actually graphite dissolved and painted onto canvas, a technique I invented. I am still trying to perfect the process though, to make it usable by other artists.

I just enjoy creating interesting subjects, especially things I know other people would enjoy seeing as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Thanks again. I love any input.

Shannon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eurasian Tree Owl.jpg (221.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg South_African_Penguins.jpg (26.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Nice work. I have no clue on marketing, but bringing your art to rallies such as Sturgis, Daytona, or Laconia will probably get you noticed fast. Just my .02.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Nice work.

Coincidence that someone with the last name of Davidson loves Harleys? I think not!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
tufty68
Registered Member

I've thought about that, and in fact a ride went out this morning near my home. Wish I had known about it. Just happened to drive by and see them take off.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
tufty68
Registered Member

LOL my dad used to joke around and tell people he was Harley's brother Phil. He and my uncle both had Harley's when I was growing up.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

And do you have a Harley yourself, now?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufty68 View Post
LOL my dad used to joke around and tell people he was Harley's brother Phil. He and my uncle both had Harley's when I was growing up.
That joke wouldn't have flown with a real biker dude. Harley and Davidson are both last names of the founders of the MOCo. He could say he's Willie G's brother though.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
tufty68
Registered Member

Yep, that's what got us so tickled.