Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 08-21-2001, 07:04 AM   #11
yamarider
Founding Member

Default Re: President Bush shows love to Harley

Alaskas wilderness huh. I'll let you in on a little secret- ANWR is a sh*thole, we have much better up here. I've been there in the summer and winter. In the summer it's a massive insect infested dry swamp without a tree in sight. In the winter it's a polar bear infested wasteland unfit for humans. North slope drilling is probably the cleanest in the world. ANWR is all about politics and money, not animals or pristine wilderness. The animals and wilderness will be fine.

I have a neighbor and a coworker who claim to be "conservationists", good luck getting them to ride a motorcycle rather than pilot their suburban and land rover commuting vehicles.
yamarider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2001, 07:25 AM   #12
kbeemer
Founding Member

Great post--- right on the money, anyone looked at a map on this issue to see the area of both the ANWR and the relevant area to be drilled. Go George!!!
kbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:37 AM   #13
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default More from the White House

After visiting the Harley factory and a couple of dealerships, the President announced a new phase of his energy policy, to be titled the "Shovelhead Recovery and Recycling Program," or SRRP for short.

"You Harley guys can save America," said the President, as he distributed catch pans to Harley owners. "Put one of these under your Harley, and we can recover millions of barrels of oil every year." He also urged Harley owners to donate their old jeans and combs.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:52 AM   #14
12er
Founding Member

He didnt give us back anything, he gave us a loan on this coming tax season. So if you get $300 this summer, yet have to pay at the end of the year be ready to pay the $300 back plus what you owe. Topping it off he is over 60 days vacation this year and its only been 6 months, damn I want that gig! Beats the hell out of my 2 weeks...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:30 AM   #15
Haga-san
Founding Member

it takes one to know one....
Haga-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:12 AM   #16
hdpetey
Founding Member

Reminds me of the Spotted Owl BS in the early 90s. Supposedly they would only live in old growth red woods, but anyone that spend time up in the red roods learned that these so called fickly owls were living in old boats, most other trees and any damb where they could find. The real endangered species became the Northern Californian loggers.

Conservationists and SUV drivers, good point. Go to a Whole Foods sometime and count the SUV to small car ratio. These are the little yuppie hippies I went to school in Colorado with, they now have moved up from Cherokees and Pathfinders to Excursions.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:35 AM   #17
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: The news eats this stuff up

Big Baggers rock!
Old 08-21-2001, 11:39 AM   #18
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Rebel gas mileage

The Rebel was my first bike. I never got below 80 mpg, even with all-city driving, and my highest record for highway riding is 103 mpg. Part of it is my light weight (I weighed about 115 when I owned the Rebel), but that bike is much more gas efficient than even a scooter. Not to mention it has a top speed of 75-80 mph, which most scooters don't.

The Nighthawk 250 has the same engine if you're interested in an ultra-economical commuter but don't like cruisers.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 12:36 PM   #19
12er
Founding Member

Excursions, the scurge of the road... I have yet to see one go straight down the road. Suburbans go straight, yet the Fords wander all over the lanes. My theory is brand loyalty, Chevy has put out Suburbans for ages and people who once drove one bought another. Now Ford just started marketing there own personal bus and these "Newby Bus Drivers" have no clue as to how to keep it going straight. Just my observations from 20,000+ 2 wheeled miles on California highways in the past couple years.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 12:46 PM   #20
mikey527
Founding Member

Default Re: More from the White House

That's a good one! I've been a Harley owner for 25 years and I get really tired of all the stereotypical comments. However, if it's funny who cares. Everyone needs to laugh a little everyday for a stress reliever. Thanks.
mikey527 is offline   Reply With Quote