Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default HD Sales down- whodathunk

Harley-Davidson to Cut Shipments, Jobs - MotorcycleUSA.com

I predicted (in that silly union thread I think) that HD would lower production to below the 300K mark this year. By August you will see this to be true. 500 or so lay-offs by Sept and wheelin' and dealin' with onion members for early retirement buy-outs.
I'm no GMP but I've been in the ball park with what I've said since spring of 2007. Not bad for a guy that manages to half a$$ his way through the motorcycle business world and still be in business.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

I think you are the new GMP. To predict that Harley sales would be down is absolutely incredible! Nobody would have thunk it! Then again if you were really smart, you would have invested 5 grand in Harley's first public stock offering, and you would be posting from your palace in France.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I think you are the new GMP. To predict that Harley sales would be down is absolutely incredible! Nobody would have thunk it! Then again if you were really smart, you would have invested 5 grand in Harley's first public stock offering, and you would be posting from your palace in France.
HEY! I wanna be the new GMP! ME, PICK MEEE!!!!
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Do you think sportbikes are the safest on earth? Does the 600cc inline four engine configuration give you a woodie? Are you a McCain Republican? Is one mile you ride worth 100 of anyone elses? Then step right up and be the NEW and IMPROVED GMP!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I think you are the new GMP. To predict that Harley sales would be down is absolutely incredible! Nobody would have thunk it! Then again if you were really smart, you would have invested 5 grand in Harley's first public stock offering, and you would be posting from your palace in France.
It's not the prediction of down sales that's important. It's the total number of produced units. To drop 30k units in a year in production is astounding. Soft market and economy aside, Harley couldn't have sustained those lofty numbers for long. HD knew the market was changing and instead of starting the draw-down in the last quarter of 2005 they waited. If they started the draw down for the 2006 models no one would have been suprised by the drastic numbers shift (drastic for HD anyway). The strike a while back hurt things for HD but the slow down was already in motion by then and Harley should have telegraphed the lay-offs and reduced production before the strike to get the investors ready for the loss of revenue.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
HEY! I wanna be the new GMP! ME, PICK MEEE!!!!
No problem.

Simply hit yourself in the forehead with a steam pipe slugging hammer until your IQ reduces to about 70. (Sarnali2 will be happy to provide one for you). Only accept information from ABC, CBS, NPR, CNN, MSNBC, NBC and Wikipedia. Pick a couple of professions that you know nothing about and pretend you work at those. Whenever anyone relates a personal experience jump in and make up some story about how you did the same thing but better or more.

Keep at this for a couple of years and you may be able to replace the last GMP.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
It's not the prediction of down sales that's important. It's the total number of produced units. To drop 30k units in a year in production is astounding. Soft market and economy aside, Harley couldn't have sustained those lofty numbers for long. HD knew the market was changing and instead of starting the draw-down in the last quarter of 2005 they waited. If they started the draw down for the 2006 models no one would have been suprised by the drastic numbers shift (drastic for HD anyway). The strike a while back hurt things for HD but the slow down was already in motion by then and Harley should have telegraphed the lay-offs and reduced production before the strike to get the investors ready for the loss of revenue.
Never mind all that fancy analysis. Just tell us when those $3K Evos are going to hit the used market!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

The funny part is for heavyweight motorcycle sales they did better than the overall market, so the numbers you quote aren't so astounding. Harley sales were down 12.8% while the heavyweight market as a whole was down 14%.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

C'mon over here Ken...hold this 6 inch blank flange against your temporal lobe here (let me mark it with a felt pen so you can center it)... and I'll give 'er a whack with this dandy new shot filled hammer, then we'll move about 90 degrees and do it again.....being lighter I can get a more precise swing on this hammer while the shot still gives the same impact as the ol' 10lb lead hammer, amazing eh? my arms don't get nearly as tired slugging down manhole and handhole nuts, that ol' lead sum'b*tch makes your arms feel like rubber I'll tell ya' ...anyway you'll be the GMP in no time..

Hold still now...........
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
C'mon over here Ken...hold this 6 inch blank flange against your temporal lobe here (let me mark it with a felt pen so you can center it)... and I'll give 'er a whack with this dandy new shot filled hammer, then we'll move about 90 degrees and do it again.....being lighter I can get a more precise swing on this hammer while the shot still gives the same impact as the ol' 10lb lead hammer, amazing eh? my arms don't get nearly as tired slugging down manhole and handhole nuts, that ol' lead sum'b*tch makes your arms feel like rubber I'll tell ya' ...anyway you'll be the GMP in no time..

Hold still now...........
I, the New Improved Retarded GMP thingy predicts: A MAN WITH PANTS TIED AROUND HIS HEAD IS CIRCLING A TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLE SHOUTING "OUT BRAKE DEMONS, OUT!!!"

Please be generous when the donation plate is passed your way.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off