Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default HD Sales down- whodathunk

Harley-Davidson to Cut Shipments, Jobs - MotorcycleUSA.com

I predicted (in that silly union thread I think) that HD would lower production to below the 300K mark this year. By August you will see this to be true. 500 or so lay-offs by Sept and wheelin' and dealin' with onion members for early retirement buy-outs.
I'm no GMP but I've been in the ball park with what I've said since spring of 2007. Not bad for a guy that manages to half a$$ his way through the motorcycle business world and still be in business.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think you are the new GMP. To predict that Harley sales would be down is absolutely incredible! Nobody would have thunk it! Then again if you were really smart, you would have invested 5 grand in Harley's first public stock offering, and you would be posting from your palace in France.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I think you are the new GMP. To predict that Harley sales would be down is absolutely incredible! Nobody would have thunk it! Then again if you were really smart, you would have invested 5 grand in Harley's first public stock offering, and you would be posting from your palace in France.
HEY! I wanna be the new GMP! ME, PICK MEEE!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Do you think sportbikes are the safest on earth? Does the 600cc inline four engine configuration give you a woodie? Are you a McCain Republican? Is one mile you ride worth 100 of anyone elses? Then step right up and be the NEW and IMPROVED GMP!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
It's not the prediction of down sales that's important. It's the total number of produced units. To drop 30k units in a year in production is astounding. Soft market and economy aside, Harley couldn't have sustained those lofty numbers for long. HD knew the market was changing and instead of starting the draw-down in the last quarter of 2005 they waited. If they started the draw down for the 2006 models no one would have been suprised by the drastic numbers shift (drastic for HD anyway). The strike a while back hurt things for HD but the slow down was already in motion by then and Harley should have telegraphed the lay-offs and reduced production before the strike to get the investors ready for the loss of revenue.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
HEY! I wanna be the new GMP! ME, PICK MEEE!!!!
No problem.

Simply hit yourself in the forehead with a steam pipe slugging hammer until your IQ reduces to about 70. (Sarnali2 will be happy to provide one for you). Only accept information from ABC, CBS, NPR, CNN, MSNBC, NBC and Wikipedia. Pick a couple of professions that you know nothing about and pretend you work at those. Whenever anyone relates a personal experience jump in and make up some story about how you did the same thing but better or more.

Keep at this for a couple of years and you may be able to replace the last GMP.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
It's not the prediction of down sales that's important. It's the total number of produced units. To drop 30k units in a year in production is astounding. Soft market and economy aside, Harley couldn't have sustained those lofty numbers for long. HD knew the market was changing and instead of starting the draw-down in the last quarter of 2005 they waited. If they started the draw down for the 2006 models no one would have been suprised by the drastic numbers shift (drastic for HD anyway). The strike a while back hurt things for HD but the slow down was already in motion by then and Harley should have telegraphed the lay-offs and reduced production before the strike to get the investors ready for the loss of revenue.
Never mind all that fancy analysis. Just tell us when those $3K Evos are going to hit the used market!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The funny part is for heavyweight motorcycle sales they did better than the overall market, so the numbers you quote aren't so astounding. Harley sales were down 12.8% while the heavyweight market as a whole was down 14%.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

C'mon over here Ken...hold this 6 inch blank flange against your temporal lobe here (let me mark it with a felt pen so you can center it)... and I'll give 'er a whack with this dandy new shot filled hammer, then we'll move about 90 degrees and do it again.....being lighter I can get a more precise swing on this hammer while the shot still gives the same impact as the ol' 10lb lead hammer, amazing eh? my arms don't get nearly as tired slugging down manhole and handhole nuts, that ol' lead sum'b*tch makes your arms feel like rubber I'll tell ya' ...anyway you'll be the GMP in no time..

Hold still now...........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
C'mon over here Ken...hold this 6 inch blank flange against your temporal lobe here (let me mark it with a felt pen so you can center it)... and I'll give 'er a whack with this dandy new shot filled hammer, then we'll move about 90 degrees and do it again.....being lighter I can get a more precise swing on this hammer while the shot still gives the same impact as the ol' 10lb lead hammer, amazing eh? my arms don't get nearly as tired slugging down manhole and handhole nuts, that ol' lead sum'b*tch makes your arms feel like rubber I'll tell ya' ...anyway you'll be the GMP in no time..

Hold still now...........
I, the New Improved Retarded GMP thingy predicts: A MAN WITH PANTS TIED AROUND HIS HEAD IS CIRCLING A TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLE SHOUTING "OUT BRAKE DEMONS, OUT!!!"

Please be generous when the donation plate is passed your way.