Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 10:18 AM   #81
pk509
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Finally, a H-D with the muscle to match the image. If I had the $$, I'd order one today.
pk509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 10:20 AM   #82
mortybmyer
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

I think their share is about the same as Honda, they beat them last year...
mortybmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:26 AM   #83
pwbyrne
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

Now you sir are a man of fine humour! Excellent rebuttal.
pwbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:28 AM   #84
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Out-Harleying Harley

Using ten dollar words for 50 cent thoughts is also "sophomoric." I call a lot of people "plastic" who actually have less pvc in them than a VTX, but I think you know what I mean.

Yes the VTX crowd enjoys the classic cruiser style with more throttle than the a BigTwin Harley for less money. So does the Sportster rider who spends a few faces hopping it up, not that it has anything much in common with a VTX. The V-rod is simply yet another alternative. If the closest thing anybody can come up with to compare it to is a VTX, then it's a pretty original one since the two are from the same planet IMO (note that is not meant literally either).
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:33 AM   #85
hindle
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

If they were going for the whole exclusive thing then yeah your right. If it's inexpensive and everyone is riding one then that does ruin the whole exclusive thing.

However, I think there are alot of people like me that are into sportbikes and would consider an HD if they actually made one that was competatively priced with your average Gixxer or CBR. Something that was pleasing to the eye. While this new powerplant isn't a powerhouse by any means it's at least up to speed as far as technology and still 100+ power in a sportbike package reeeeks of performance. I think they would bring in a whole slew of new customers. At least I can say I would consider them. Till then you will never see me in a Harley shop.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:38 AM   #86
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Like I said,

You can't look at Harley's production bikes as evidence of their stupidity. They're only giving consumers what they apparently want. Of course, they probably couldn't give the consumer anything else, so if motorcycles that use technology perfected by John Deere in 1930 fall out of favor, they are in trouble. However, their non-existent success in racing IS evidence of their utter lack of engineering abililty.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:40 AM   #87
Forgy
Registered Member

Default Re: Amazing!? Why?

They will also quickly learn (or not) the finer points of trail braking...
Forgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:46 AM   #88
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Comprehensive list of worthwhile American cars:

Corvette

Mustang Cobra

any Jeep product (except that godforsaken new Liberty)

Suburban or Excursion (probably Suburban cuz the Ford gets such crappy mileage)

Ford or Chevy 1-ton diesel truck

Any high-end ($35,000+) conversion van

All other American cars suck.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:48 AM   #89
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Wasteful things ...

I wont buy anything american anymore. Watching the full size truck crash tests where all the american trucks failed miserably and the Toyota Tundra came out pretty much unscathed locked me into this mindset. Then reading about how much time and money went into engineering parts that break on cue really made me sick. Quality is job one my @ss... Tom Vue was right, were all "Lazy American Workers" working for Money hungry Pigs... Hmm I sound a bit bitter, guess thats what happens when everywhere you turn someone is trying to screw you out of your cash. I think I need to go for a ride...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:51 AM   #90
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default In other words....

The VTX crowd likes more power, better quality, vastly superior engineering, and quite possibly nicer styling for far less money.

Not that a Harley is a bad choice. It's just a matter of opinion.