Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 10:23 AM   #71
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Wasteful things ...

That's odd... the 3 best cars I've ever owned were all Fords. The worst one was a GM product that I owned for 12 months. 7 months of which it was literally in the shop. Ah well, to each his/her own.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 10:27 AM   #72
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

That's funny, I really like the look of the V-Rod, including the pipes. Well, that's why they make different kinds of motorcycles, eh?
Old 07-19-2001, 10:28 AM   #73
kuhnkat
Founding Member

Reminds me of the dyno chart of my stock 1983 GS1100SD Katana. Those old GS motors were a kick!! Harley is definitely headed in the right direction. High flat torque over a broad RPM range!! The styling isn't too bad either.
kuhnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:31 AM   #74
kuhnkat
Founding Member

40k trouble free miles??? You definitely have a collectors item. I don't know anyone with a Harley that got over 10k trouble free miles!!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:34 AM   #75
kuhnkat
Founding Member

a Dynojet measures the rear wheel.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:47 AM   #76
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

You forget that the only place they have a "measily" market share is in the US. What was their peak share? 27% or so? that leaves another 75% out their. In europe and asia harley's market share is probably >2%, because Urals are much cheaper.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:53 AM   #77
v4bryan
Registered Member

What would it take to buy from HD?

First, they would have to MAKE a great product instead of two or three good bikes with the rest relying on "cachet"; second, they'd have to price it competitively with similar bikes.

It's possible that the V-rod will be their first great bike: it's more technologically sound than a Harley has ever been before, although we'll have to wait and see if it is reliable. Still, 17 large is serious scratch for a motorcycle-even before you buy $3000 to $5000 worth of "shiney stuff" to personalize it...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 11:07 AM   #78
heyjd
Founding Member

Default Re: Amazing!? Why?

With Honda's bulk weight 700+lbs

(Goldwing and Valk weight territory)

the Vrod should kick its ass in both handling and acceleration,

not to mention in commuting and in city manuevering.

I ride a 94 Magna (v4 750)with approx 75-80 hp and 505 lbs dry.

I am impressed with this new Harley I also ride a 93 cbr f2 so I know the difference between sport performance and cruiser performance and can say

this Harley will sell out its 11,000 initial units easily. I have 4 Hondas and no Harleys but own Harley stock and I am happy with this new development.
heyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 11:10 AM   #79
mortybmyer
Founding Member

Ok, I had a clutch cable break at 30,000. But other than that, it's been a great ride. I ride it hard. I was riding to Laguna with a friend on an R1, we did 100+ for an hour, a couple of times and nothing fell off!
mortybmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 11:14 AM   #80
Forgy
Registered Member

Thanks. That means this thing is putting out about 125 at the shaft. Interesting...
Forgy is offline   Reply With Quote