Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 09:05 AM   #61
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you

I've ridden "a few" too, know several people who use them for daily commuters, and have no idea what you mean by "novelty" bike. I'll put it this way. If Buells are fake dogdoo, then a lot of other bikes out there are whoopee cushions, dribble cups and plastic vomit. That last one would sure fit the paint schemes of certain Asian sportbikes come to think of it
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 09:07 AM   #62
drandall
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you

Some Buells are really bad, and some -- like my two -- have been really good. I commute on mine about twice to thrice/week all year, and they've only been down for minor problems a couple of times.

But, I'd LOVE to have a version of this V-rod engine in a Buell I'm all for progress, but am sick of Japanese bikes (of which I've had a few), which tend to have no personality.

I think the new engine in the Buell XB9R is the new Sporty engine, and a water-pumper will be along soon.

drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:15 AM   #63
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Out-Harleying Harley

I can't recall when it was that Harley ever built a large plastic motorcycle with a chrome telephone pole attached to it. I think the VTX is meant more to out-Cow Kawasaki and out-Intrude Suzuki. Now that I can say they accomplished.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:31 AM   #64
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: True,

I've always admired the way they get to use a non-production bike in what is ostensibly a production bike race series (and a poor bike at that)...Is it true Picotte wears a kevlar jockstrap for protection when the engine grenades before the end of the race?
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:41 AM   #65
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Out-Harleying Harley

The VTX exhaust pipe is hideous, but calling it a plastic motorcycle because of a few cosmetic parts (headlight nacelle, instrument bib, etc) is sophomoric. I would imagine that the target audience for the VTX is the crowd that enjoys the classic style cruiser with more throttle. And at 4 grand less than HD, you could customize replacement parts for the VTX, gold plate them, and still save money...
Old 07-19-2001, 09:42 AM   #66
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default You're right - Guzzi is cutting edge technology.....

How old is that Italian air-cooled pushrod V-twin again?
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:48 AM   #67
spinedoc
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Yes, that's been my experience with HD as well...dealer in Austin wouldn't sell me a new one because I was on vacation from Arkansas! But would sell me a used 1200 for $9000...

I like the looks of the V-Rod, but it REALLY reminds me of my V-Max, which makes more power and the same torque, is watercooled, and costs much less. Very much less-I bought it used on that same trip! I like the innovations in the new Firebolt though, even if it is air-cooled. It looks like fun to me.
spinedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:57 AM   #68
mortybmyer
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

I'm a Harley rider, that is I actually ride my Harley. I ride a 97 FXSTC, that I picked up 2-4-98 with 1,500 miles. I just turned 40,000 on it riding from Colorado to Laguna for the superbike races. I like the looks of this V-Rod. I like the HP numbers. I ride H-D because it's american made and when you do sell it you don't loose your money. Yes they are over priced and slow. But with 40,000 trouble free miles and the bike still worth what I paid for it, I think it's worth the cost. I also like the riding posture in that you don't look like a dog hunkered over taking a dump. I've rode a Duc 916 and and 2000 R1. Love the power, hate the riding position. Seems to me, this is the best of both worlds. But we all have our own reasons for riding what we do. The only thing I don't like are the pipes.
mortybmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:07 AM   #69
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

So what you're saying is that the name "Harley Davidson" is justification in its own right for spending upwards of 30% more money on an inferior product? Tsk, tsk- you should be applauding HD for FINALLY becoming competitive (although still at an inflated price), instead of holding them up like a tarnished idol...
Old 07-19-2001, 10:10 AM   #70
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Amazing!? Why?

According to all the "seat of the pants" impressions I've read about, the V-Rod is going to smoke the VTX. Guess we'll just have to wait until the comparo.