Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 05:13 AM   #41
LoganGixY2K
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Want more power?

Add two more cylinders.

I don't think that if you buy a twin it will be for the power but rather the type of power and style.
LoganGixY2K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 05:32 AM   #42
RacinJason
Founding Member

Default Re: Wasteful things ...

You Suck.
RacinJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:41 AM   #43
hindle
Founding Member

Now all you have to do is rap in a sportbike package (not a Buell) with some decent looking fairings, bring the price down and damn I might find a Harley in my garage!
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:54 AM   #44
gumby
Founding Member

I am always amazed how so many people get fooled by brand image and the associated marketing. Take off the identifying markings of HD, and Ducati, etc and the prices that demanded for those same bikes would fall significantly given a reasonable sized sales volume. People WANT to pay more to be associated with a PERCEIVED higher status. Why else for the obnoxious logos on everything we buy.

In addition, HD has finally stepped up to the plate and joined modern performance design/charecteristics. I also own a ZRX, but even with its very good dyno specs, its still essentially a 15 year old engine - but that's what helps make it RELIABLE. Perhaps, the new HD will also become reliable...I am still hoping that Buell will become a solid performer some day.

All in all, I don't believe in acting like dog, by sniffing at all the other dogs butts (bikes). The more bike manufacturers are competing, the better the bike and hopefully value, we consumers will receive. And maybe one day, us riders will grow up and quit caring about the image of the company's brand and only care if the bike we ride makes us happy.

gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:59 AM   #45
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

Better is relative. It won't matter if they build a bike that can blow the doors off John Force, if it does not read Harley-Davidson across the gas tank they will still maintain their measily market share.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 06:02 AM   #46
donzi
Founding Member

Default Re: blah

H-D is not marketing this bike to people who ride SV 650s and long for WRXs. Ducati is the same way with their 996. They are going after customers who have deposits on new M3s or have an E420 sport in the garage and for whom the price of the bike is not their number 1 concern. Personally I've never met a motorcycle I didn't like, but I've seen a lot I wouldn't buy. I have a deposit on one at list but probobly won't get it unless it blows me away in person.
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 06:27 AM   #47
imgnarly_2
Founding Member

I'm old and can not remember things, but what is the sticker price of the v-rod??
imgnarly_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 06:31 AM   #48
imgnarly_2
Founding Member

I thought HD was a t-shirt company that sold motorcycles as a sideline.
imgnarly_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 06:39 AM   #49
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Amazing!? Why?

I'm not positive, but isn't that 600 lb figure dry? add in fuel, oil, and antifreeze, and you'll be on the far side of 650lbs, no? So in reality, I doubt there will be a huge difference in performance for any of the power cruisers (V-rod, VTX, Road Star Warrior, and possibly the 750 Magna and Valk). As a class, they'll smoke the regular V-twin crowd, but you're still only talking low 12 second quarter mile times...and that is in a straight line, nevermind around corners.

I think giving this style of bike more horsepower will probably result in more accidents initially untill their riders learn the importance of "corner entry speed" a heretofore unnecessary concept for most...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 06:56 AM   #50
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Marketing Monsters

They owe that supply/demand superiority to a truly phenominal marketing program that coincided with the Reagan "Proud to Buy American" years. Lets face facts: People didn't buy HD 'cuz you got performance, or even a good deal; people bought HD because they felt like badasses, and in the days of power ties, junk bonds and disposable income a little individuality was a good thing.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote