Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 05:08 AM   #31
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you

You summed it all up with the last portion of your post....you haven't seen any dyno readings to back up the reports. I have to say upfront that I have never owned a buel, but I have ridden a few and found that they are more a novelty bike then a real world machine. They have had quite a few teething problems in the past and still do to a certain extent today. Maybe with Porche having a hand in the development this won't happen on the V-rod. Either way I think I'll keep my RC51
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 05:15 AM   #32
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Amazing!? Why?

While not quite the way I would have worded it I have to agree with you. Yes it pumps out 107bhp but the weight factor nulls some of the gains. Either way I'm happy for Harley, now I won't feel so bad for those saps laying out all kinds of money for a Name plate. Now they will actually be getting some bang for their buck. Kudos to Harley for not building another regurgitated version of the same old junk.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:19 AM   #33
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Because it is!

The word is that the V-Rod will spank the VTX as far as performance. I rode the VTX in June. It is an awesome bike! BUT, there is no denying that the V-Rod is mighty impressive with only 1130cc.

I am anxiously awaiting the 1800cc Valkyrie with the aluminum frame from the new GoldWing. Any takers for that beast???
Old 07-19-2001, 05:23 AM   #34
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

Lets get serious here, do you really think that the big 4 won't unleash somehting better then the V-rod in less then a year? Your sadly mistaken if you do. It will only take them a couple of months in the the ol' R&D room and a few changes and the next thing you know the v-rod will be just another over priced cruiser on the market. I'm glad you got yours for sticker..you'll probably be the only one. But to sit here and think that the Big 4 will just sit back and let this happen means that your not firmly grounded in reality my friend. They can do in months what it has taken Harley decades to do.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:37 AM   #35
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Did you get beat up by Willie G. as a kid or something? Why are you so angry? H-D built an impressive product with the V-Rod. And their classic style machines are what they are...and people continuously buy them. Should H-D discontinue their entire product line because you don't like them? What would it take for you to buy a great product from this company? What would make you happy?
Old 07-19-2001, 05:43 AM   #36
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default err... what about...

There is one product line called Harley Davidson. It contains everything from motorcycles to perfume. Basically anything that you can fit a "Genuine Harley Davidson" label on contributes to their spectacular profit-taking ability. Good for 'em I say. Fool, money, etc.
borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:45 AM   #37
mrvincent
Founding Member

It looks like a great bike, no doubt many new owners will keep plenty of emergency rooms busy.

Since I'm from the lower rungs of the economic ladder (or just "thrifty" or maybe flatter myself as "responsible") these high dollar bikes will never be more than a pipe dream for me. I've got a wife, kids, mortgage, etc to pay. My '85 Nighthawk has to do it for me.

What I'd like to see is MO do a story on biking on a budget. Say how to find a great used bike for less than $2000. Tell us which oldsters are both fun to ride and reliable.

Thanks MO for the fun stories, I love to check out your reviews on bikes that may be mine in 10 to 15 years.
mrvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:46 AM   #38
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Wasteful things ...

Having bought a ford once I know why they dont sell. That was the worst mistake I ever made, what a piece of cr@p! Traded it in after 55k miles due to the at least 15 problems I had most within miles of the 36k warranty expiring. 36.1 ignition, 36.4 intermitant wipers, 36.8 heater fan. All that engineering to break at a certain mileage payed off for them, but just taught me they suck...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:51 AM   #39
daveotron
Founding Member

Default Re: Because it is!

I am anxiously awaiting the 1800cc Valkyrie with the aluminum frame from the new GoldWing. Any takers for that beast???

Put me down for one!

daveotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 06:10 AM   #40
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Well, that's a reasonable power and torque curve for a modern engine of that displacement, about what you'd expect from a liquid-cooled 60 degree v-twin. It does point up what a good job Kawi did on the ZRX1200 engine though, which is roughly the same displacement and not only outpowers it by a little, as expected for a i-4, but also out-torques it by a bit, even at lower rpms. Still, I would not be unhappy riding a bike with this engine in it.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote