Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-25-2001, 12:08 PM   #181
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Definitely NOT correct IME...

I've owned 4 Harleys (don't own one now) and can only say your friends must have paid way too much for their bikes and taken way too little care of them if they only got 2/3 of it back. Miles do NOT hurt them unless the miles are hugely excessive for the age of the bike --it's condition condition condition that counts if you want top dollar for it!!!

You ARE right about the extras though. Nobody gets their money back on those. IF you buy a new Harley right (that means somewhere near MSRP which is possible --anybody who says it isn't is an impulse buyer) AND you keep it as *stock* and as *pristine* as possible, then you don't have to worry about miles and you CAN get MORE than you paid when you sell it. I know because I've done it.

LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2001, 12:31 PM   #182
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: One day, and it won

It's the right decision for him if he's got plenty of money and the bike makes him happy. But I agree on the investment thing. While IMO it's absolutely certain to hold value better than a VTX (based on MSRP, not MSRP+"vaseline tax") the "you'll get your money back" bromide is exactly how certain dealers justify asking ridiculous prices that a lot of bozos on the dike have already paid. But it would seem there's an endless supply of them, not Harleys.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:24 PM   #183
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Well...

with the busa and gsxr1000's peak output, they can't NOT have a lot of low end, unless that peak output were at 20,000 rpm or more. "Tuning for midrange" is really more a matter of moving the peaks around for more low end response (usually resulting in detuning), but big peak power has to come from torque. I don't consider the ZRX's motor at all impressive from an engineering standpoint, which I think is a good thing. I'd rather have a motorcycle that's not tweaked and gets it's power from displacement (structural reserve). I'd rather have the bandit with the bandit's motor. 110hp from a muffler change, 120 hp with a full pipe and jetting. Go get some gixxer cams for your bad self, it's all there. I like the gixxer 1000, I'm just afraid of balance shafts that spin at double crank speed, and why bleed green if you don't have to?
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:41 PM   #184
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default It's OLD, fortunately.

It's easy to work on, even easier than a Harley. Adjusting valves is like reaching down and scratching something. And it'll go 300,000 miles with nothing more than a top end job which may or may not be needed depending on what kind of miles they are. And you can still rebuild it after that. It's the only thing with reliability, user maintainability, and true durability (it will last forever). This is a bike for people that don't think bikes are just weekend toys (to pose on, OR to wheelie on), so don't knock it. Someone's gotta make a bike that's real transportation you can depend on and live with.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 04:25 AM   #185
hrlydr
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

I'm glad you're so excited about the new H-D product. But what's up with the "boat anchor" comment? I have 50,000 trouble free miles on my "boat anchor", and 13,000 trouble free (no leaks, either) on my street/strip Sporty. Two of the guys I ride with own GSXRs, nice bikes, good power, and after the last dyno shoot-out, they're scratching their heads and wondering how my "boat anchor" did so well. Sure, they can out-corner me, but in the ¼ mile there ain't too many corners. My engine is no more of an anchor than your bike is a "plastic sewing machine". By the way, have you ever seen the way barnacles cling to the side of a boat? I guess there isn't a great need for intelligence to hang on to a piece of plastic and wait for someone to scrape you off of it...but I digress. (can't we all just get along?) Anyway, I don't think H-D "woke up". I don't even consider it progress. It's an attempt to gain new customers. Ah, capitalism at work. People don't consider low weight when buying a Harley. And I happen to think the looks are "killer". A McLaren F-1 is killer...so is a vintage Corvette. They both turn heads, for different reasons. Tell ya what, get your windex out, wipe off the fiberglass and carbon-fiber. I'll polish my chrome and wax my paint. Then we'll take a ride together and have a beer. I bet we'll both be smiling at the end of the day. That's all that really counts, isn't it?
hrlydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 10:47 AM   #186
hollylmh
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style, Why I bought one!

I think it is great that Honda just brought out the biggest, baddest "Harley" -- an now -- Harley brings out the the ripping, baddest "Honda". It realy is a small world!
hollylmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:07 AM   #187
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Definitely NOT correct IME...

The problem is they traded the bikes in. Which means they got screwed by the dealer. They should have sold the bikes outright, and then used the money to buy the new bike. You always get screwed on a bike tradein. Check the difference between the NADA values, which are used for trade ins, and the Kelly Blue Book, which are used when they're trying to sell to you.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 09:06 PM   #188
vrturbo
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Lime , Good points; The second hand die-hards and all.What will this bike do with the normal hopups? If it could move the numbers up 10% or so it would be in Vmax territory. It needs clip ons and rear sets . I like that Screamin' Eagle drag Vrod. I can't get used to those forward control floor boards!
vrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:01 PM   #189
gilmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style, Why I bought one!

Nuff RESPECT! Same reason why people buy Ferrari's! Plus there's the exclusivity factor. There are enough John, **** and Harry's out there riding sportbikes! I've always wanted to get my license and buy a bike but always put it off. Ever since I saw the V-Rod, I told myself that this would be the bike! I know it's a lot of money but heck, I'll own a bike that I realy want!

anonymous squid

oh and by the way, I'm going for my license next month. By next summer, I'll be CRUISIN'!
gilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 10:41 PM   #190
Welkinstorm
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you are a Honda fanatic

I think all performance bikes would suffer under the truly harsh reality of stop/go commuting, why commute on a RC51? or a Buell? These are open road machines, and designed as such. It is foolish, an RC51 is a race replica, get a Honda CB250. Save some $$$ for your weekend blasts on the RC51.
Welkinstorm is offline   Reply With Quote