Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-23-2001, 12:03 PM   #171
caderider
Registered Member

Default Warrior!

That has got to be the first 'good' comment I have heard about the Warrior's looks, which is good because it means I am not the only one who likes it.

B

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2001, 05:26 PM   #172
HIPPO
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Factory spec on their website is 115 HP and mid 70's TQ. At the crank. If I were you I would strongly suspect some sort of SE accessory intake, pipe and chip. Either that or they just invented a powertrain with the lowest losses known to man. Power transmission is not THAT different. LOL
HIPPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 01:46 AM   #173
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Actually pwr transmission losses vary dramatically...

but one might expect the V-Rod to be closer to other beltdrive Harleys so the question you raise is a valid one. Like you I suspect crank hp of the test bike is over 115 but is it possible HD's published specs this time are actually less than what prod bikes will be? They've gotten flack in the past for being too optimistic. Surely the testers know enough to recognize things like non-stock non-EPA (read LOUD) pipes & intakes so why didn't they mention something readers would obviously want to know!?
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 03:30 AM   #174
ohhseven
Founding Member

Default Won't be worth much if you actually ride it...

This B.S. about H.D.'s holding value makes me laugh every time I read it!!! This hype has come about for one simple reason only: Most people buying H.D.'s really don't ride, so their bikes only get a few miles on them - then when they go to sell them (after putting a minimum of $5,000 in 'extras' on the bike) they get close to what they paid for the bike.

On the other hand, ask ANY H.D. rider that has put real miles on his/her bike and you'll find that their bikes have dropped in value as much if not more than a jap bike. -I'm talking about people that put at least 10,000miles (in northern climates!) on in a year.

I've got a few H.D. friends that were very very surprised when they went in to trade their 2 year old bikes only to find out that what they could get for them was not even 2/3's what they originally paid - and that's after adding the usual thousands in extras...

Lastly if all you're interested in is re-sale value buy H.D. stock, you'll get more for your money, if you actually want to ride a bike, then buy what suits you, turns your crank etc. and ride the thing. Then it really doesn't matter what you get.

Mick.
ohhseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 06:00 PM   #175
HANKWANG007
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style, Why I bought one!

3 days ago, I would never thought I could be a Harley-Davidson owner, the old fashion look, poor performace(without modification), and over priced.

But it all changed when I saw the V-Rod here, then I went to the H-D website to see it in more detail, 24 hrs later, I was in a H-D dealer, putting $$ down on the first V-ROD to be had in November. The funny thing is that I have never felt this excited about buying a bike before (had 4 bikes).

The VTX was on my list for 2 month, but I didn't even call a Honda dealer to see about availability, because it looks like most of cruisers that's out there today, including H-D's; it didn't do much for me, it does have power, but it's also very heavy.(100+lb. over V-Rod)

V-Rod has a style that's fresh, more than enough power to put other cruiser's away(without spending more $$$ to mod.), how about the near sport bike handling and did I mention the style???

Sure $17,000 MSRP plus thousands more(markup) for the privliege to be the one of the first to ride one, is a little too much for some of you out there, but knowing with the V-Rod, I will make money 3 yrs down the road, and with VTX I will lose half the value.

I know that I made a right decision, don't you?

V-Rod
HANKWANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 06:31 PM   #176
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Partial list of worthless American cars:

"Suburban or Excursion (probably Suburban cuz the Ford gets such crappy mileage)

Ford or Chevy 1-ton diesel truck

Any high-end ($35,000+) conversion van"

These are not in fact _cars_, but rather commercial trucks adapted for personal use by very tacky people. In cities, the most precious common resource is public space, and these vehicles deliver a loud "F*** You!" to their owners' fellow citizens.

If you find this worthwhile, I question on what basis? Surely as a bike rider, you have been stuck in horrible traffic constipation caused by folks each driving 2500 to 7000 lbs too much vehicle for their purposes? By themselves, with no cargo?

It's like going to a picnic and taking all of the dish everyone wants to try, then having only a couple of bites before throwing the rest in the trash. Sure, you _can_ do it, nobody's stopping you, but doesn't it make you an a**hole if you do?

If it turns out that you live in Missoula or something, forgive me but I assume that you live in Chicago. Where if everyone decided to drive an Excursion or an F-350, you'd all have to walk out of the permanently gridlocked city and start over somewhere else.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 06:40 PM   #177
Bluto
Founding Member

Default One day, and it won't be long...

"knowing with the V-Rod, I will make money 3 yrs down the road,..."

At some point some Bozo is going to be left alone on the dike with a bunch of tulips and no gold. If you are willing to bet $20,000 you're not him, go ahead.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:57 PM   #178
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Re: Individuality & cruisers

"If I were to go for things like harley-style "individuality" and/or the ultimate cruiser, I'd buy an Indian Chief, not a Harley."

Well, if I were to go for those things, I'd buy a Lycoming aircraft flat-4 or a Mazda twin-rotor Wankel or a great big brushless DC motor and build a chopper from scratch.

Suckers should note that you can only distinguish yourself by what you do, not by what you consume! Confusion on this point has given us "custom cruisers" that are not at all custom, and are poor at cruising.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:10 PM   #179
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Mag test bikes vary dramatically, too

In my former town there was a shop owner with the most experience around at dyno-tuning bikes. His was a Dynojet dynamometer, just like all the magazine tests used, so it applied the same correction factor. He was quick to note that stock bikes, new or well broken-in, never made power very close to what the magazines said.

When I asked about this, he was quite convinced that the test bikes, chosen and prepped by the manufacturers, were in some respects "special". The dyno results from Motorcycle Consumer News, sampled from ordinary showroom-bought bikes and consistently lower than the glossy mags say, seem to bear out this assumption.

Old 07-25-2001, 09:30 AM   #180
hrlydr
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Ok, I've seen plenty of Harley-Bashing here. Bottom line, ride what you like, leave everyone else alone. Isn't that what motorcycling is all about?

With that said...I have a knack for building fast Harleys, especially Sportsters. Sportsters make a great "blank canvass" for building awesome power, and for a lot less than you think, assuming you can do the work...the right way. I'm not going to argue that this water-pumper might have a superior ride quality, or that it's more "modern", but "better" gives me pause. Better? Sometimes you gotta take function over form. I'm very pleased with the ride quality on my modified XL. Granted, I spent some money on suspension, tweeked the frame here and there, and built a fire-breathing 89" 'sportster' engine, but including purchase price of the original bike, I only have about $12,000 in the whole project and time slips and dyno runs that say "Hey, stupid...why spend the m.s.r.p. of $16,000?" My advice to the rice-rocket jockeys, and the guys on the import cruisers...stay on your current ride. I'm an H-D enthusiast, and I'm not really enthused by this V-Rod. Not because it's a departure from tradition, but because I think you guys are getting a better deal at the brand-x dealership. Let's face it, Harley riders, in general, aren't worried about go-fast stuff and techie items. We're into the classic styling and nostalgia. And we're all individuals, just like everyone else. Ride safe.
hrlydr is offline   Reply With Quote