Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-21-2001, 09:18 AM   #161
mcv
Founding Member

Default Re: Individuality & cruisers

If I were to go for things like harley-style "individuality" and/or the ultimate cruiser, I'd buy an Indian Chief, not a Harley.

No idea what those things cost, though. Or how they perform. I fear they'll make Harleys look like real bargains. Maybe MO should do an article about them?
mcv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2001, 12:23 PM   #162
CrustyOldFart
Founding Member

Default No, you look like an ape on a chinning bar, you idiot!

Most of you people who ride cruisers (even those who don't trailer them to within 5 miles of town, then ride in)don't posses the skill necessary to get the most available from a modern sport bike. Rather than have to admit that, they buy an 800 lb pice of overpriced crap and make ignorant comments about the spotbikes' riding position.

Speaking of the cruiser riding position, have you ever seen a woman getting a pelvic exam? That's what riding a cruiser makes you look like. Some I think even taking a dump would be preferable.
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 12:34 PM   #163
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: "Individuality" and false pride...

It's NOT pride so much as just camaraderie. Many people want to feel that they "belong" to something special and unique, even if what *is* special about it is mostly image (translate: imaginary). In that, they are no different from fanatic sports fans. As far as some of them are concerned, if you ride some other brand you are rooting for a different team. But the ones with any sense in their heads also realize, like sports fans, that they all share the same interests and have a lot in common with others no matter who they cheer for or what they ride. "We must all ride together or we will all be walking separately."
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 01:03 PM   #164
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

The ARE expensive and what you're getting is an S&S-powered Harley clone (like many custom bike shops across the country can build for you at varying degrees of quality & cost) all dressed up with admittedly very pretty classic Indian-style parts and of course Indian badges. It's NOT like say the new Triumphs which combine modern technology with the style and character of the old bikes at an affordable price, being built from the ground up with their own engines and outsourcing only the lesser components that most brands do outsouce including Harley. These new Indians are NOT like that at all. They are expensive parts-bin Harley clones wearing a famous marque they managed to wrestle down in some legal haggling.

If you skip the Indian badges and are willing to settle for the high content of plastic that afflicts Japanese cruisers, a Kawasaki Drifter will get you the same look for a lot less money with a lot more dealers to support it (and Kaw is not likely to pull an Excelsior-Henderson on you).
Old 07-22-2001, 01:54 AM   #165
road_runner
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

I have read the reviews. Well I have both HD and Honda and ride both.

The bike has a nice design and should be a good seller. I like the idea of HD finally putting some guts into the bike to compete on the street with the metrics. The bike is not "all-american". Hey, I know the arguement is buy american, but the bike is made of parts from Italy & Germany. I can accept that to compete, but can the rest of HD people.

I would like to see ET times and handling like the rest of the cruisers that are tested.

For the price of the HD, I would like a better warranty. I think HD could supply a 3 year warranty for $17,000 (and a tool kit)for a single seat cruiser. Valkyrie offers a 3 year warranty for $3,500,00 less and is only listed as 2 seconds slower in the quarter mile and is heavier.

Again I will catch the heat, but just listing the facts.
road_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 04:31 AM   #166
Spooner
Founding Member

Lets say I was interested in this new Harley V-Star or any Harley motorcycle product, Do you expect Harley to now start taking in non-Harley motorcycles as trade-in toward Harley products, to get us nonHarley customers to come on over? Attitudes have to change at HD dealerships if they intend on joining/remaining in the real world in the 21st century.

Pricing realistically would be a good place to start. Learning salesmanship would be another, then there's...
Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 08:28 AM   #167
mcv
Founding Member

I don't know how I ever managed to miss the Drifter. It looks awesome, and MO seems to be quite happy about the 1500 (though not the 800).

It sounds like it's almost everything I'd want from a cruiser: 1940's looks with modern performance. I also prefer the low wide handlebars and less chrome over what most cruisers offer. It's a shame about the plastic, but I understand metal fenders would hurt the handling too much.

To be honest, I don't really care much for the flared Indian fenders, although I do like heavy fenders in general. And it needs a good solution for those saddlebags. And a decent saddle. And a test ride.
Old 07-22-2001, 01:38 PM   #168
tbuse
Founding Member

Excuse me sparky, but I didn't call ANYONE an idiot. I buy what I want by saving for it. Learn to read, comprehend & THEN respond.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 04:50 PM   #169
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Glad you took a look at it, but agree there are some problems as far as fitting it with most aftermarket touring gear. Even the ubiquitous and universal Willie&Max bags won't work. I assume Kaw makes some bags that fit the 2-up saddle, but making them look right would be a challenge --can't throw across fender like the old (true hardtail) Indians 'cause that would *really* mess up the unsprung weight and I'm sure the plastic fender's not designed for it. Nice "tavern" cruiser but a few drawbacks for the long-haul, which most big cruiser riders want to be able to do at least occasionally. Maybe that's why sales haven't been so great (which on the plus side makes for some good deals). Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:43 AM   #170
mcv
Founding Member

Default Re: Kaw Drifter

The more I think about it, the more I see the problem of those saddle bags. I want to be able to use it for a bike vacation, and that requires some luggage. Even if they do manage to fit small bags on it, it won't be enough.

And even if they could make bags that are big enough and connected to the frame instead of the fender, they are likely to completely negate the effect of those fenders, and I guess the guys at Kawasaki won't want to do that.

Maybe a big trunk above the rear wheel, instead of on the sides?