Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-20-2001, 11:01 AM   #151
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Suzuki has met you halfway with the GSX1400

Better frame, busa engine, gsxr1000 brakes, soft suspension, still hefty but a real looker. Hey, that sounds like a perfect import for our American market!

Make mine blue/white with the white wheels please.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...D=50677&=66330

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2001, 11:02 AM   #152
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default get comfortable

I'm old and creaking right now, and I can tell you that BOTH ends of the spectrum are painful-whether I'm bent over a GSXR with my heels tucked into my butt or if I'm spread out like a human sail with my feet so far forward they couldn't support any of my weight when they had to.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:27 PM   #153
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default So you think us motorcyclists...

would have ended up with more freedom had a guy who thinks the internal combustion engine is man's greatest enemy gotten the opportunity to pack the Supreme Court instead?

I agree with everything you said but that. Since it's biologically impossible for me to ever need an abortion, and conservatives are more likely to protect what few rights individuals still have *except* that one, I sure don't spend a lot of time worrying about what sort of wingnut Gee-Dubya might tap for the Supreme Court.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 01:22 PM   #154
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

Yes, Harley has been phenominally profitable for quite a while now, but I would argue that HD listens to their customers by RARELY instead of CONTINUALLY upgrading to meet the market: prior to the TC88 ('99), the EVO engines had an 18(?) year run, and the softail frame remained virtually unchanged from its inception untill '00.

But HD knew their market. No-one was screaming for 4 valve heads, water cooling, or aluminum frames, so HD didn't spend the money to give it to them. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the only reason HD took the steps they did to update their line was so that the general motorcycle press would stop drubbing them in print (because, Lord knows, HD's customer base didn't seem to care what the press said...).
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 04:30 PM   #155
pwbyrne
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

I think you missed the point. Most people don't go

"Hey, I can save x thouseand by buying a Concourse or an ST1100". Most people go "Gee, I really like the R1150RT, but there is no way I could afford it." Believe it or not there are not as many people that drive brand new BMW/Ferrari's as there are people that buy GM/Ford/Dodge/Hyundai/Kia. I can't believe you had the nerve to post what you did. Emotional purchase? Yes. Financial decision? ALWAYS.

"You buy cheap, you are cheap"? And you called the other guy an idiot. Soap box? Try the top of Mt. Everest.

I think you and Ferrari boy should go work in a soup kitchen for a week.
pwbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 04:34 PM   #156
pwbyrne
Founding Member

Default Re: That may (or may not) be true,

You should see the 0-60 times for corn fields.
pwbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:19 PM   #157
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

I'm not jumping to conclusions, Your post basically stated that the Honda had built crap just to counter the BMW LT. Which is wrong. The wing had

been slated for replacment before the LT was introduced to the public. If you think the big 4 won't counter the V-rod your sadly mistaken. Look at the booming sales in the cruiser market, they are just starting to make headway, they are certainly not going to let it slip. We all know how

the Japenese have to save Face...very important to them. Try expressing yourself in a more coherent manor next time
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:23 PM   #158
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: I don

I own an R1, RC51 and a XX none of which I find to be vomit like in any way shape or form
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 03:33 AM   #159
MC
Founding Member

Default Re: Bargain Bikes

MSF? Why?

According to the sport-bike dogma, an R6 or CBR600F4i make great beginner's or step-up bikes.

And according to squid dogma, safety? training? Whats that?
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 09:01 AM   #160
gibambam
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Much congrats to H.D. for keeping with the times. I myself have always loved rice rockets becasue of their looks and performance. I just couldnt see myself spending $20k on a harley that pushed out 60hp when i could spend half that for a bike pushes out 160hp!! Maybe i'll start taking a second look at and taking Harley's more seriously with the new VROD.

gi bambam
gibambam is offline   Reply With Quote