Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-20-2001, 05:29 AM   #141
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Looking for personality

I got to ride the Buell M2 and X1 and the Ducati ST2 and ST4 at the Honda Hoot this June, and I think the Buell's were fun with lots of personality, but I can't take the eyeball-jiggling vibration at idle and the crappy shifting action. The Ducati's had personality in spades, and were a lot more fun. Even the Triumphs had as much personality as the Buell without the vibration and shifting problems. My humble opinion. Have fun.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2001, 06:12 AM   #142
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Never too early....

Could you tell me exactly *when* Honda perfected it?

Like I said, my Honda a bad headgasket at 9K which cost more than the top-end overhaul of an AMF Harley of the same vintage. It also had a bad paint job, hangar rash within a year, the carbs wouldn't stay balanced and it pinged no matter how it was tuned even if you put 102 octane in it. I couldn't kill it, you're right. It was still running when I got rid of it. But somebody *should* have killed it. They've improved a lot, yes, but they don't have a monopoly on improvement either.

IMO "brilliant" engineering and "reliable" aren't synonymous anyway. To me, "brilliant" means pushing the envelope so far that appliance-car reliability goes on the backburner which is what Porsche does with their high-end cars. So yes they have problems but the people who can afford one don't care. Honda, OTOH produces the S2000 which is a nice and fast sports car, probably pretty reliable, but it doesn't push the envelope except maybe in it's modest (compared to Porsche) price range. I'm sure both firms have some very bright engineers, just working toward different results (selling several million mostly boring vehicles vs. a few thousand exciting ones).

I know an old guy with a refrigerator (some defunct brand) that hasn't given any trouble in 50 years. Does that mean it was so brilliantly engineered the company went belly up? I guess the engineers who made it all went to Honda.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:27 AM   #143
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Like I said,

Until this year, Harley had nothing to do with the race effort. Stamping up and down & screaming "my bike's better" does nothing. You like your bike, fine; other people don't agree with you; it's a free country. (Well at least until Bush gets through packing the Supreme Court.)
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:36 AM   #144
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

H-D has also had something like 10-12 years straight of profitability. They listen to their customers, continually upgrade to meet the market & move in slow steps so not to repeat the mistakes of the 1970s. The bitterness and nastiness of the anti-Harley groups is truely amazing to behold. No one is going to force you to buy one of their bikes. You don't like it, don't buy it. Real simple. (Oh, I ride Triumphs right now because I don't like the local H-D dealers, but I won't whine about it.)
Old 07-20-2001, 08:40 AM   #145
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

You're jumping to conclusions. I personally don't like BMWs; mainly because I think they're ugly. There was an invalid assumption that the Japanese would readily respond to the V-Rod. Try for reading comprehension next time.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:44 AM   #146
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: That may (or may not) be true,

A 1923 Massey-Ferguson had electronic ignition? Fuel injection? Even electric start? Very advanced tractor.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:57 AM   #147
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Comprehensive list of worthwhile American cars:

yeah, lets look at that cobra.....claimed 320 hp, get it on the dyno and about 240 at the back tire. At 15% drivetrain loss, ford still pussied out of about 20 hp in there somewhere. Yeah, they fixed it....new exhaust, computer and stuff, but they shouldn't have had to.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:18 AM   #148
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Read more carefully.....

A lot of people don't buy Harleys because they just don't want to. Their choice A lot more, many of whom apparently post here, apparently do it from self centered, know it all arrogance. Don't like the bike, don't buy it. Of course that would ruin your whole day since you couldn't tell people how stupid they are for not agreeing with you. Besides, the VTX is ugly. The Yamaha Warrior, if it could find another exhaust, is a far better looking bike. I hear it can turn too.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:28 AM   #149
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

How you ride and how you maintain. As long as you do your proper maintenance, Harleys are rock solid. The same can be said of most major manufacturers. Failure to keep an eye on your oil, tire pressure, coolant (Hey, I'm riding a Triumph), chain/belt/shaft and other common areas of maintenance can cause you big problems, no matter what the brand.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:36 AM   #150
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Good response. Why would it be someone else's business if someone wants to buy anything? I think internal combustion engines have personalities. A lot of emotion goes into my bike purchases. (My truck is a 95 Dodge 'cause they've always been reliable.) If a bike attracts me, and I want it; what the heck business is it of anyone else. Don't like it, don't look.