Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-20-2001, 04:54 AM   #131
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

You will understand when the back starts to creak, wrists start to hurt all the time, knees start to buckle and ankles start to hurt. Going way too fast is fun, but doing it comfortable is priceless! If you are lucky, you will get older and understand - grasshopper...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2001, 04:56 AM   #132
bigjames
Premium Member

Want to adopt a 42 year old? Have family, will instantly make you a grandparent, giving you more reasons to spend your copious supply of money...

Or

Need some one to ride all those bikes? You know, Harleys abhor not being ridden...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 04:56 AM   #133
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you

You make uncommonly seen sense. Safe riding.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:17 AM   #134
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Actually

You're right and wrong. The four of the same displacement should outpower the twin considerably, if the four is tuned for high-end power. In this case, we've got a v-twin that is tuned for good high-end power, and a four that is tuned for a broad power curve. In the end, except for at the lowest rpm's (below 2500), the ZRX1200 out-torques the v-twin, and that's pretty impressive. It beats the v-twin in it's own territory. Or, if you want to look at it another way, the V-Rod nearly matches the flexibility and strength of the ZRX1200, one of the most well developed engines of late, which is quite impressive.

Now, what would be really impressive would be if they could give us a ZRX1200 with the same low to mid-range torque, and the killer top end that it could produce. Actually, if you want a really good example of that, Suzuki's GSXR1000 and Hayabusa have very impressive engines. While having class-leading top end power, these bikes also have the mid-range torque typically associated with tuned-for-torque bikes like the ZRX. Only at below about 4000 rpm or so does the tuning for the top end become apparent.

Oooh, there's an idea. Take the Bandit, improve the frame and supension, drop in unchanged Hayabusa engine. Now that'd be some kind of standard/naked bike/streetfighter. I'd buy one of those in a minute.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:04 AM   #135
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Never too early....

Porche makes some great cars, and a new 996 Turbo would be among my wish list, but it would be a mistake to call them a paragon of reliability and brilliant engineering. Honda has, in all probablility, the best engine designers in the world. You can't kill a Honda. They may not have invented the internal combustion engine, but I'll be da*ned if they didn't perfect it.

I don't like the paint jobs on Kawasakis either. They are the ugliest bike on the road.

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:08 AM   #136
intruderman
Founding Member

I agree also. I own a '98 Suzuki Intruder 1400, but I'm still fascinated by the out-of-production 80's and 90's bikes and wish MO would advise on which ones are good to buy on the cheap. I've only been riding three years and I missed out on the initial reviews of this time period.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:11 AM   #137
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Read more carefully.....

I was not predicting the demise of Harley Davidson. There are more than enough posers to keep them in business for a long time. As I said, they are producing what the public apparently wants. The public apparently wants crappy motorcycles.

Let me tell you why people DON'T buy a Harley: world-class engineering, smooth engine, reliability, good handling/brakes, superior fit/finish, powerful engine, high performance.

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:13 AM   #138
intruderman
Founding Member

Ok, I am good friends with two guys who recently bought new Harleys. One bought a Sportster 1200 and the other bought a Fat Boy. Neither ride very much because their "status symbols" just aren't very fun to ride. I've ridden them and I just don't have the heart to tell them what a piece of crap their bikes are. I feel sorry for them and everyone else who is new to the sport and gets screwed by HD's "style over substance".
Old 07-20-2001, 06:17 AM   #139
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, well, anyway.....

Go back to playing golf you RUB!
Old 07-20-2001, 06:24 AM   #140
intruderman
Founding Member

What do I think about the V-Rod now? Wouldn't have one. Not when I can choose from so many other bikes that are superior in every way, and cost much less. I could name at least one model from every other manufacturer that I would rather buy than a V-Rod. Thank goodness for choices!