Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 04:53 PM   #121
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: In other words....

Well maybe you think Honda doesn't hit the mark like Harley when it comes to designing Chrome. But at least thier R&D dept comes to work everyday and builds a better machine for less money. Which is more then I can say for Harley and all those fools

that shell out the extra money for big ass, underpowered under engineered rattle traps.
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 04:57 PM   #122
Haga
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

I guess I still don't see how the people in the Yahoo article see that this will be something to lure the crotch rocket crowd. It's got about 25-30 ft./lbs. and 2 hp on my R6 with some slight mods but the six is lighter by (I'm guessing) 120-or so pounds(with some weight reducing mods), and I'd be willing to bet Bill Gates type money I've got flickability, lean angles, and fun in general to spare over a Harley... "revoloutionary" or not. I'll save the reliability crack since that seems to be generally sorted out(except for that whole Buell/H-D racing thing). Bottom line for me: still doesn't appeal because it is what it is- a bike for the older "we don't wave to anyone but ourselves" crowd.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:02 PM   #123
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: In other words....

better quality" --yet to be proven . LMAO you can't be serious, that statment in itself has sealed your fate. ..You must be Bob Phillips. Don't make yourself look anymore foolish by comparing Harley to Honda's quality. Look at the track record. The AMF years alone kill you argument. You'ld by in a box if it had a Harley badge on it. I also have to say that you'ld be hard pressed to find a buell that could come close either. I thought your buell horsepower comments where bad...this tops it.

P.S...your thinking about getting more of your money back with a harley is flawed too..you payed more didn't you?? 6 of 1 half dozen of another.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:26 PM   #124
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Those who read boards where Harleys are actually discussed rather than just cussed would know that this guy with 40K trouble-free miles is just breaking it in. Evos with 6-figure miles are not exactly rare (won't say dime-a-dozen 'cause if they still look good they'll sell for more than they cost new!)

However "trouble-free" is in the eye of the beholder. Many people buying Harleys these days have never owned a motorcycle, and they expect that if a motorcycle costs as much as a Civic it should be just as maintenance-free. If they start out on a Japanese 250 (like they should) then they think of it more like a riding lawn mower and accept that motorcycles require maintenance. Thus the myth that Harleys are unreliable persists, which hasn't been true since the early 80's. They actually produce a smaller percentage of lemons than Suzuki or Kawasaki, but a higher percentage than Yamaha (what you should buy if the least possibility of defects requiring dealer service is what drives your motorcycle purchase but I'm afraid that is about number 99 on my list).
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:46 PM   #125
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default I don't currently own a Harley...

but I've owned four and only the one with AMF content had serious problems. And I got most of my money back or even more on *all* of them including the AMF, something I've never come remotely close to doiing with any of the half dozen Japanese bikes I've owned. I just dislike seeing Harleys denigrated by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about because they freely admit they've never owned one and don't ever intend to because they don't like them. Fine, just keep you ignorance to yourself, thank you.

Wake up call: Harley has not been owned by AMF since 1981, the same year I owned a Honda CB650 that blew the headgasket at 9K and came from the factory with the sidecovers painted 2 different colors! But at least it didn't rust quite as much as the cars they made in those days. The past is the past. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Honda *OR* a Harley these days on the quality issue.

But today I ride a Triumph. Not because I think it's better than anything else or holds it's value well (it doesn't) I just *like* it better. That's all. I hope that's true of whatever you ride as well.

Old 07-19-2001, 06:41 PM   #126
Nish
Founding Member

Default Last I checked yuppies werent waiting 3 years to pay 25k for

a Guzzi.
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 06:56 PM   #127
71MAGNA
Founding Member

You're an idiot. Emotion is like bad timing of a hard-on----you better know how to control it!!! You morons sit there and try to justify a 17 grand tag on a bike. I own a BMW AND a HONDA so money isn't the problem here but principle is. Harley is new to the performance game and I'll wait until a few years go by when they can "work" out the typical bugs thta will appear with any American made item.
71MAGNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 01:26 AM   #128
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: I don

OK OK maybe the vomit comment got me a little hot under the collar. I have spent my fair share of time riding harleys and owing one (for a short while) but I just never got it. I thought if I owned one I would but I didn't. And I'm truely happy Harley has decided to join the rest of the motorcycle community with a technically sound bike. But I have a hard time believeing some of the hype people have been posting about H-D surpassing the others in the engineering dept, thats all.. I honestly think that what ever you ride is great...just as long as you ride.
Old 07-20-2001, 03:21 AM   #129
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: I don

Point taken. I'm not sure who said Harleys in general *surpass* all others in engineering. I doubt that as much as you do! All I did was point out that maybe it's a little early to be saying the Honda VTX has *vastly superior* (Abe's wording) engineering compared to the V-rod, especially if the latter has an engine developed by one of the most renowned motor engineering companies on the planet, Porsche.

YES Buell (as opposed to H-D) has in recent years built some bikes that had quality control problems. As with AMF Harleys, once those problems are corrected you have a durable bike if not the most maintenance-free around (which is what some people expect in a commuter bike). The parent company (H-D) has forced them to cut production to rectify these problems and from all I've heard the newest Buells are at least on a par with Harleys which they should be (yes I realize some people wouldn't think that's a great accomplishment).

Have fun on your "vomit" bike, whatever that may be --I actually was referring to some Kaws on which they have done an amazing job of replicating the color of stomach bile
Old 07-20-2001, 03:52 AM   #130
bigjames
Premium Member

If you comments are true, then you are arguing with an idiot, which of course makes you a bigger idiot. On top of that green (as in green with envy) is probably not your best color...

Of course motorcycles are purely an emotional purchase, you like, you can afford it, you buy it. Try justifying the purchase logically will get you on the wrong bike everytime. Want a Beemer (say R1150RT) but say, hey I can save x thousand by buying a Concourse or an ST1100. Both fine bikes, but no where near as nice as the RT. You buy cheap, you are cheap, you'll regret until you buy what you really wanted. Have seen it WAY to many times!

Get over it. Personally I own a pair of Harleys and BMW (7th BMW) and a couple of Dodges. Guess which vehicles emoption did not play a part in...

Climbing off soap box now....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote