Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 03:48 PM   #111
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Too much.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 04:09 PM   #112
pwbyrne
Founding Member

Wouldn't the new Warrior replace the V-Max?

We are in DEEP trouble if they are going to kill the V-Max. That puppies been flying the 'muscle bike' flag for eons.

I think the only real competition is going to come from the Warrior. It seems to be the closest to the V-Rod in intent.
pwbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:11 PM   #113
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Not to sound too arogant or "upity" but I don't mind paying the $20,000+ that it is going to cost me for my V-rod that I have already put a deposit on, along with new Buell Firebolt Tuesday morning Denny's HD/Buell in Springfield, MO.

Why? Because I want one. And I can afford it. If I wanted a VTX, I would go buy one. It's like buying an 79 Ferrari 308 vs. a new Accura NSX. The NSX is faster, cheaper, more relaible etc.

There are a lot of people who buy a bike or other toy because of want, not need. If we all bought because of need, our cars would all be white hibrids with 35 rear wheel HP, and have a bar code on the door that said "car".

And if you don't understand why the Ferrari is more

desireable than he Accura, then that explains why you are riding a Vulcan that just looks like a Harley.

Bikes are an emotional thing.

You want. If you can afford, you buy. If you can't I think a lot of you lie, and justify why you ride something else.

I ride what I want. I can afford pretty well whatever I desire. (the VR1000 name came with the VR1000 in the garage)

I have a few "Jap bikes, a couple Italians, and a couple Buells & HD's.

Enjoy all of them. Most are damned good, and are worth exactly what someone else will pay for it.

Some more than others.

See ya' on the road!

VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:15 PM   #114
oddlycalm
Founding Member

Default Folks that think it

First of all, I don't think many people will yell sellout. They might have back in the 80's, but not after all this time with current H-D management.

You're right about water cooling being a direction they need to go in both from an environmental and maximum power standpoint.

My guess from responses I've read around the net is that they will pull in some new folks with this effort. This is a good thing. If they don't start getting a younger demographic, they will have to sell bikes in nursing homes and cemetaries before too long. Willie G signature Depends anyone?

They will also sell some to current customers who want something more powerful. Pricewise, a person looking at buying a Dyna and then doing the S&S thing to get 100hp at the rear wheel will be spending more than the price of a V-Rod, even if the expected premium materializes.

Long term, H-D dealers and their premiums are a serious problem IMO. Too many serious customers have been driven away. When I was looking to trade my FLHS for a new sled a few years back some dealer wanker jabbered at me about his waiting list. My comment wasn't something that I will post here, but suffice it to say that he didn't get to sell me a bike that day or ever. I spent a year building a rubber mount softail with a 101cu in motor, and didn't use a single H-D part while doing it. It still parks next to my BMW R1100RT, and remains fun scooter to ride, but I would have welcomed an easier way to go though.

oc
oddlycalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:40 PM   #115
SUZUKIWISE
Founding Member

well lets put it this way it is about time h/d woke up and built a real bike for people like me who love harleys andhave bought japbikes for the low wieght adn good brakes and killer looks.

it will be a great day when erik buell get the motor he ahs always needed!

the best thing h/d will do is start selling air cooled motors as boat anchors which is all they are good for and keep building motors like the v-rod GOOD JOB H/D!!!!!!

LARRY WISE

LOUISVILLE,KY
SUZUKIWISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:40 PM   #116
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you

Well then you need to meet the people that I know. Who actually TRIED to use them as everyday commuter bikes. Let me give you a hint...it didn't work. They loved the bike don't get me wrong, but it just couldn't stand up to everyday commuting abuse..I'm not talking about putting on your cool braided leather jacket complete with embossed logo and riding 5 miles to work. I'

m talking about 150 mile round trips thru alot of stop and go traffic. Now I know this because I ride those vomit bikes you speak of and have never ever had one iota of a problem. I don't know where you live (and don't want to) but where I live there are plenty of people that commute on bikes and I would have to say that there aren't to many Buells, and for a good reason I'm sure. Make sure to keep your eye out when your on the side of the road and I ride by with beautiful RC51...I'll be sure to wave, try not to drool..........
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:42 PM   #117
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX = More and less...

The VTX is cranking out 80 lbs of torque at 1,400 RPM. The VTX jumps to 90 lbs at 2,000 RPM. Torque peaks at 100 lbs at 3,000 RPMs and doesn't drop under 90 lbs until redline.

Quarter-mile is passed through in 12.1 seconds at 109.47 MPH. Top speed is 135.2 MPH.

Get this - The VTX can stop from 60 MPH in 109 feet. I doubt ANY harley can/will be able to match it.

Philip

'00 ZR-7
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:46 PM   #118
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you

And please lets not get started on looks...The buells are down right ugly, with that lame ass exhaust, ridiculous air box and sorry looking tail section. People that live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:49 PM   #119
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Sleepless nights

OOh and I suppose BMW has never had a recall. Get serious. Pick a brand that has never had a recall. Hmm ......yeah didn't think you could! Use your brain before typing up vomit like your last reply
Old 07-19-2001, 05:53 PM   #120
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Default Re: Folks that think it

Seeing that you own a BMW R1100RT sport tourer would you be interested if HD put that engine in a touring or Sport Touring bike? I certainly would!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote