Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-19-2001, 01:51 PM   #101
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: Amazing!? Why?

Amazing? why? is right.

My TL1000S makes exactly the same power and cost half as much, weighs a bit more than half as much too.

Plus it has the 90 degree v-twin sound. 60 degree twins sound flat in comparison. Case closed for me. At least this bike makes some decent power and I am sure it will last.

Yes, it is possible to get this kind of power from an air cooled HD, but you have to stress it. Let's see how such a motor runs in 50,000 miles. I am sorry (in more ways than one) if you own a Buell, as their reliability is not exactly legendary.

This bike will be a long time runner. I bet it makes 110 hp or more after some break in. My bike sure runs harder now with 17K miles on it...
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2001, 02:30 PM   #102
dragline37
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style

Damned straight!!!

Drag
dragline37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 02:36 PM   #103
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: It would seem you

Yes? Just please explain what do you mean by "lack of personality" ? I'm not a cruiser type, I don't even try to ride one since I can't sit on one - I don't feel like I'm riding a bike for some reason, so I stick to sportbikes (maybe standards, when I'll get a bit older and less brain-heated).. But if you're not talking the "look" (or "pose", to be exact) of the stamp on the fuel tank (or a fake tank, for that matter), I can't see what you mean. My GSX-R750 91' in more than excellent condition has a very GSX-R personality, which can be felt - unbelievable - in 8 years newer GSX-R600 of my friend, though a lot of weight difference makes things felt when you turn, the 2 so-different-bikes behaving alike, my friend's ZX-R6 has behavior of its own, and since I never rode Buell and it's not even imported here, I can't tell the differences, but somehow I think you stick to the cliche more than talking from knowledge. Every bike has its soul - be it sportbike, cruiser or standard, but not every bike's soul is interesting. Lots of quirks and breakdowns don't count for soul as far as I'm concerned, the road behavior does, and I don't speak from knowledge myself here, but I can imagine that a Cagiva Raptor or Monster M4 or V-Max (especially the last) have no less personality than any Buell, and each one of them will outperform the hell of the Buell, techinfo-wise (and the new motor won't help much anyway - that same Cagiva is 130 cc less in displacement putting the same 105 rwhp, and having a good deal of torque with it, as I know it). If I ride and compare them, I'll know that for sure, but unfortunately it's not going to happen in a near time..
Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 02:46 PM   #104
tesmanus
Founding Member

Well, we all know what's gonna replace the V-MAX since Yahaha's discontinuing it next year. The V-ROD. These bikes are very close in specs, if not in price. It's good to see Harley finally going on the offensive after having Japan Inc. chip away at their market for so many years.

The specs won't impress a sportbike rider but as a cruiser it's very powerful - amazing.

Does anybody know what it weighs?
tesmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 02:52 PM   #105
tesmanus
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, well, anyway.....

The ROD makes near 70 lbs of torque from 3000 approx to redline. That's eye flattening power - enough to bury a VTX in any contest where gears are shifted - you tool around on your VTX expecting to humble a rod - well good luck, unless you can convince a rod driver to start a race in high gear.
tesmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:01 PM   #106
oddlycalm
Founding Member

Everyone has different tastes. For many, the very uncomfortable RC-51 would be regarded as the novelty ride. Hard to make a case for it as an everyday ride. I like it, but after an hour (or less) I want to get off and do something else. Personally, my choices for sporty twins runs to Ducati and BMW, both of which offer better comfort IMO.

From what I see, after 20yrs Buell has plenty of friends, and resale values are strong, something not all brands can claim.

As far as teething problems, every company has them. We could start from the beginning with a company like Honda and be here for days detailing the specifics. After 34yrs of riding, I've seen every company lay some eggs. Harley/Buell have done a better job of supporting their customers than most of their competitors, which is why you see the continued interest and loyalty.

oc
oddlycalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:07 PM   #107
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Sorry, it must be Monster S4..

I didn't remember the name right.

Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:23 PM   #108
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: In other words....

"more power"? --incorrect, more displacement and torque ..."better quality" --yet to be proven and only if lotsa chromed plastic is your idea of it ..."vastly superior engineering" --vastly better than Porsche? extremely doubtful ..."nice styling" --oh yeah you bet, Honda stylists have always been right up there with the legendary metal sculptors like Harley-Davidson and Jaguar. The VTX and it's chrome telephone pole sure demonstrate that, just like the Insight does!

But you are right about "far less money"...VTX owners will have far less when they decide to get rid or it. Like you said, it's just a matter of opinion.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:37 PM   #109
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Default Re: blah

I'm sure they can.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:47 PM   #110
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Thats one of the best things i have read.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote