Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-18-2001, 08:12 AM   #31
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo News Debuts Harley V-Rod

Perhaps you should read the postings more carefully. The posting that you refer to did not particularly promote the GSX-R (presumably the bike that one who goes by handle "gixxerboy" would ride or admire) nor any other bike in particular (though Guzzi and BMW were mentioned in passing). While I've never thought of Guzzi's as being especially performance oriented, you can "hardly" argue that "Harley" bikes are nearly so performance oriented as most other bikes (e.g. BMW).

I see motorcycles as riding tools. I'm not loyal to any marque, I don't gauge my self worth according to the marque I currently ride. When Harley markets a riding tool that meets my needs - with the new Buell, they are close - it's quite conceivable that I'll buy one. But not on account of any misplaced sense of loyalty.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2001, 08:27 AM   #32
granny
Founding Member

Considering that BMW's are designed to be practical, reliable and comfortable, I'd say that they have quite admirable performance. One my riding friends has a stone stock 1100RT that routinely blows off late model normally aspirated Porsches both straight line and cornering. That level of performance has heretofore not been available in the Harley product line up - perhaps now it is.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:01 AM   #33
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Harley dealers usually fall into two categories: the "geezerships" and the "carpetbaggers." The geezerships are funky places that have been in the same family for generations and the old man who founded it still sits behind the counter in overalls stuffed with Depends and talks about the good ole days. AND they still charge MSRP and give good service but you have to wait until hell freezes over to get a bike. I still love those places as much as the bikes, but getting to be fewer and fewer.

The carpetbaggers are glitzy art-deco-retro places that pop up in 3 weeks upscale suburban business parks, owned by a slick goateed $10-cigar chomping disbarred attorney who has anything you want or can get it tomorrow. Then you find out his sales manager is Ole Greenteeth from Deliverance wearing an Armani suit and Rolex. Soooey!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:59 AM   #34
12er
Founding Member

Rated G due to the censorship of the photo. The original states instead of wife, its b1tch. If that last word was censored insert the proper term for Female Dog. Cool photo though.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 10:07 AM   #35
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Even the CBS Evening news w/Tom Brokaw...

probably because it's an *American* company well- known even to Americans who'd never dream of getting on any motorcycle. They do the same thing when Ford or GM brings out something brand new (makes no difference if the technology isn't). Foreign companies have to bring out something at least as revolutionary as a hybrid-electric car to get the same coverage. But we have freedom of the press. They cover whatever they like. Don't even try to "get" them.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:00 PM   #36
prospector
Founding Member

This "Harley faithful" loves the V-Rod, and I'm sure a lot other Harley owners welcome the new VRSCA line into the fold....
prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:23 PM   #37
prospector
Founding Member

vocal "MAJORITY"... I don't know how you came up with that statistic, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of V-Rod buyers are going to be Harley owners who want the fastest Harley they can get their hands on. I think you're off base with your assumption that current Harley owners aren't going to like the V-Rod. I'm a Harley owner and I like it!
prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:30 PM   #38
Daskoff
Founding Member

One thread I haven't seen so far is the relationship between Harley and Porsche. If I recall correctly Porsche went from air cooled engines to water-cooled engines a couple of years ago. Back then the Porsche enthusiasts were also up in arms about how the change to watercooled is against tradition. So it will be very interesting how this Harley thing is going to play-out. Also it makes sense that Harley used Porsche because of their knowledge of air-cooled AND water-cooled engines. But I suspect that Harley might have also used Porsche's PR department in handling the transition to water-cooled. I do realize that Porsche completely stopped making air-cooled engines (once water-cooled took over) and Harley continues to make them.
Daskoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:31 PM   #39
das
Founding Member

Ah, yes, we've come full circle and arrived back at the point I was trying to make originally. BMWs are designed to be and bought because they are "practical, reliable and comfortable" (among other things), not because they're the fastest bike out there. The GSXR-1000, for example, is geared for speed, BMWs are not.

Whew. That was way harder to express than it should have been.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 04:03 PM   #40
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

PUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAA good call...I've never seen that shirt in person before!
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote